Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my never ending quest to get Android Auto, I struggle to even take out the headunit from the dash. I can easily unscrew, prod and pry everything except for the top portion of the headunit. No matter what I do (insert screwdriver into tiny hole while pulling, push unit from behind via top stereo/vent), I just can't seem to pull the unit out. Granted, I'm not using all my force because I'm afraid to break it but still, I can't even feel a tiny bit of give. Is there a trick to pulling it out? Attaching pictures to make sense of things. Oh I also pushed in one of the rivets push pin a bit too hard and the inner lock fell (somewhere behind the headunit area). Luckily I had a spare but it's not OEM. Any places I can get it for relatively cheap? Would the dealer have them?
Automotive lighting White Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Water Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
110 Posts
The trick to get the top off is press down using a flat head screwdriver in that centre hole, while pulling evenly with your other two hands. ;)

The pin part number is 65509347047

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trick to get the top off is press down using a flat head screwdriver in that centre hole, while pulling evenly with your other two hands. ;)

The pin part number is 65509347047
Oh good. My third hand finally gets to do something useful. Thanks for the part number!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually did this myself yesterday and can only agree with what navwizard said and mention it does need a decent tug based on my experience

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually did this myself yesterday and can only agree with what navwizard said and mention it does need a decent tug based on my experience
While it's still fresh in your memory, did you push down with a screwdriver while pulling simultaneously or did you just push down a little bit and then pull with both hands? Which direction were you pulling? Upwards, straight or downwards? Also, as you push down, do you feel the tab move at all? I tried doing it but didn't really feel anything give.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All good questions.

I had removed side screws and validated that there was some sideways movement when I wiggled it with 2 hands. I then felt inside to locate the catch. At first it was clearly protruding, I then pushed down with the screwdriver and wiggled one handed from the front sideways back and forth. I then stopped pushing down from top and could feel that the catch was now completely gone i.e inside of casing so continued with 2 hands from front. I would say at this point it was a little wiggling and downwards in motion with a bit more force.

hope that hepls and good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts