Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask this but I am not too good with cars.

A message appeared telling me to add 1L of oil.

The manual states several different types of oil.

When I put my reg into a site like Halfords or Opie Oils it suggests different types of oil.

How do I know what is currently in the engine, as I have heard you are not supposed to mix different oils?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
33 Posts
You need a low / mid saps oil like those specified in the handbook as your car has a GPF. A 0W30 with BMW LL04 or LL12FE approval will work - these will typically be in the ACEA C3 / C2 category. You can also use a 0W20 LL17 but they are harder to find.

There is no way of knowing exactly what the factory fill is. I commissioned a used oil analysis on mine and it was very thin with viscosities in the 0W20 range.

There is no issue mixing oils; it wont turn to porridge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You need a low / mid saps oil like those specified in the handbook as your car has a GPF. A 0W30 with BMW LL04 or LL12FE approval will work - these will typically be in the ACEA C3 / C2 category. You can also use a 0W20 LL17 but they are harder to find.

There is no way of knowing exactly what the factory fill is. I commissioned a used oil analysis on mine and it was very thin with viscosities in the 0W20 range.

There is no issue mixing oils; it wont turn to porridge.
i found almost
All oil 0w-30 is c2/c3.

c3 is best.
Avoid Castrol magnatec it’s snake oil.
Shell and mini oil so far so good did 30,000 km without using a drop before I changed it

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
I think they now factory fill with Shell but viscocity mmmmm. As above 0w30or 5w30acea c3LLo4 is the way to go. And it isn't a silly question ,it is a total minefield. Just buy decent quality . I just got Petronus LLO4 aceac3and dexos rated too, 5w40 5l for £26.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is 5W30 ok? I'd rather always put the same oil in throughout the engine's life, and I know the factory oil is 0W-30.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Yes manual says so and it is what Lohen advise for the std car; don't think anyone actually knows what is factory fit-but as above rumour is 0-20 which just seems too thin for the uk summer. 0w40 is probably the best spread for winter flow (0W) and summer heat (40) which is why I've just gone 5W40 for our Roadster S. My friendly indy mechanic advises a slightly thicker oil as the car ages-talking big miles of course and I never stick to one make -so long as it is fully synthetic LL04 (or LL01) ACea C3 it's fine-but I always stick to a reputable make ; Shell is def factory fill at the mo but a few years ago it was Castrol; Mini put in who they can get a deal with. Plenty of choice out there-Millers, Castrol, Shell, Petronus, Motul, Valvoline, Fuchs, Liquid Moly, Mobil , Rockoil etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts