Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my pal just got a Mazda 6, and it has a pretty decent stereo. My Cooper S doesn't. It isn't bad, but it's not good either. To clarify, I have the standard stereo with MINI Connested - no HK audio.

Under the passenger seat (UK spec, so right hand drive) there's a grille - am I dreaming that there's a subwoofer under there? I'm sure I read that somewhere, but I'm buggered if I can find any evidence to show my pal.

It's almost more of a mystery if there is a sub under there, since there's not a great deal of bass to be had.

Cheers in advance folks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Ricky... I have the HK system (worth every penny BTW) and the official documentation shows the following speakers: 5 x Tweeters, 5 x Mid-Range & 2 x Woofers (under the front seats).

There is no sub-woofer at all.

Some, I know, have complained on here that the bass isn't heavy enough - but I disagree completely.... I can feel & hear every note that Marcus Miller & Stanley Clarke play!!

As far as I know, the basic system has nothing under the seats... play something loud in your car and see if it is doing anything....

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
If you have the Media Pack, there are speakers under the seats. Whether you'd call them woofers or very subtle subwoofers, I'm not sure. As it happens, I like my bass subtle and find them great.

Oli

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have the Media Pack, there are speakers under the seats. Whether you'd call them woofers or very subtle subwoofers, I'm not sure. As it happens, I like my bass subtle and find them great.

Oli
I like subtle bass too as I don't wear a baseball cap back to front while I drive!

One comment I have on the HK system is that it could do with a bit more control than just bass, treble, balance and fader.

Also I do find the way you search for music from an ipod less straightforward ie. there are too many button presses to get to what you want

It does sound good though:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I like subtle bass too as I don't wear a baseball cap back to front while I drive!

One comment I have on the HK system is that it could do with a bit more control than just bass, treble, balance and fader.

Also I do find the way you search for music from an ipod less straightforward ie. there are too many button presses to get to what you want

It does sound good though:D
Dave - the way the F56 MINI works with an iPod is a vast improvement on the previous models... but there is a lot of knob-twirling & button pressing!

I think the old HK offered different 'room' effects but, really, you shouldn't need more controls than tone & volume in a car.

I'm happy with the HK system and would recommend it to everyone that likes to play music at sensible volume levels in their MINI.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Yeah, there's way too much knob twiddling and pressing. When using the up and down arrows on the steering wheel it would be nice if perhaps a long press of the up button would take you up a folder level, of perhaps the volume controls could change function while the menu was up.

Either way, it's a pain and you have to take your eyes off the road when the HUD could give you the options.

Oli

1 - 6 of 6 Posts