Mini Cooper Forum banner

Suggestions 3 doors vs 5 doors

27K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  mkaresh 
#1 ·
I am putting an order this week for a base mini but I am still confuse between getting the 3 door or 5 door. I am single guy, no kids and not planning of getting married soon lol but kinda like the practicality of the 5 door. Anyone bought the 3 door and wished they got the 5 and vice versa? This is going to be my first mini. I am super excited. :nerd: Any thoughts?
Thanks guys!

#3 ·
My suggestion? Go 3-door then when the wife and kids come you up grade to a Countryman!

With the 3-door your buddies will not want to make you the designator driver all the time. ;)

Honesty, having been married and having 2 kids a 5-door is not going to be big enough for all the "stuff" that comes with kids (think strollers and things).

Reactions: uke
#5 ·
Can't see the point in getting a 5-door unless you're used to transporting people regularly. How often do you have people in your back seat now? Consider also the base 3 door is the lightest of the f56s, and is a bit faster, more agile, and IMO, more personal than one with a larger cabin. And you can still get 2 persons in the back!

Of course this assumes you're not a PA soundman or a drummer!

#9 ·
5 door is ugly after thought. Tacky door frames around windows. Check the side profile. Eek. 3 door has the frameless glass, nice!

Common sense, 3 door is only worthy MINI option.[/QUOT
It aint ugly man,thats insulting to me and others who have ordered it.

#10 · (Edited)
I bought a 3 door cooper D in June and didn't know there was a 5 door in the pipeline. I would have ideally liked the 5 door as I ferry my teenage daughters and their friends around. Got to say the 3 door is much better looking than the 5 door is lighter and performs better and\ or is more economical

5 door has much shorter doors so is better for getting out in restricted spaces,they also feel a bit more solid when shutting them too.

horses for courses!

#11 ·
is cost an issue? there must be an additional premium for those extra doors over the 3 door? if cost isn't a big issue & you're not sure if you need 5 doors, see what you can add to the spec of a 3 door for the same price as 2 additional doors you might not need. might sway your decision?

#12 ·
The cost premium between the 3 and 5 door is about £600 if memory serves me right... which frankly is pretty darn good.

I have a 3 door and am about to get a 5 door. The three door has been good, but with at least one kid in the car every day for at least 2 journeys it's become a bit of a wind up - though hardly insurmountable. My biggest issue from a personal perspective is that the boot is still just that little bit too small for us. I'm calling this a first world problem as I can remember us always having small cars when I was a boy and not once did we complain about having to tilt the seats to get in. How expectations have changed.

I have to say that the 5 door is not quite as good looking as the 3 door... but it's a small small difference in my eyes (and is far less of an issue than, say, picking the wrong colour for your tastes or different wheels/trim) - don't forget that the majority of views here will be pro 3 door by definition - we're on here because we love our cars and the majority of hatch owners have them so of course there will be a bias until there are more 5 doors sold and more owners on the forum.

... so the slightly bigger boot and the convenience of those doors have won it over for me.

That being said, your personal circumstances seem to suggest you'd be just as happy with a 3 door.

#14 ·
It depends. If you don't mind how the 5-door looks then I would go 5-door without thinking about it. It got a decent rearseat which is actually useful etc.

Problem for me is that I can't stand the way the 5-door looks. I think it's to long, to tall and the window frames on the doors are such a poor design on an otherwhise brilliantly designed car.

That's at least my thought about it. The 5-door is worth the money easily so if you don't mind the looks then go for it. I'm guessing the first trip you have with just one friend in the back you'll be glad you went 5-door.

#17 ·
I think the 5 door is brilliant and just as cute in its way as the 3 door. I reflexively go for the smallest car, just because, but since I tend to schlep a lot of random crap around, the 5 door is very appealing. If you're a DIY-inclined homeowner, or a sports enthusiast, I'd say go with the 5 door. Likewise if you have lots of drunk friends that need to be taxied around.

If you like tearing up the backroads, and all your drunk friends are midgets, get the 3 door. Either way, you'll love it.

#18 ·
Well I'm going to be doing a bit of a 3 door / 5 door test of this shortly. According to official figures, there's only between 0.3 seconds (CD) and 0.1 seconds (CS) difference in speed (0-60) so pretty much negligible. All the reviews I've seen mention that the drive/handling is the same or thereabouts.

Reactions: uke
#22 ·
Hello guys! Thanks very much for your replies. I was at emerg working today so I was not able to post a response. Reading your replies, I am leaning on the 3-door. I'll go to the dealership today and see what they can offer. $1500 less with the 3-door seems to be better. I wanted to bring the cost down as much as possible. Again, thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.