Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My mini is being replaced due to a number of faults and I am speccing out a new one.

It will be midnight black with the sports kit, and black punch leather interior. Like the previous one, below.

I know specifications are very individual but in choosing between the sunroof, LEDs and HUD what do people consider most desirable or useful?

I wasn't that fussed about the LED lights but they seem to be the rage! Is it a problem to sell one in an aftermarket without?

Thanks

Attachments

· Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
personally leds (they're gorgeous ), hud and then sunroof in that order but i really am not a fan of sunroofs at all in cars that have air con; yes they make things airier but...... and if open they're noisy and make the aircon pointless. you want air buy a cabrio (roadster!). between the leds and the hud-v tricky that one-if you have sat nav, the hud, if not, then the leds! just my opinion sorry sun roof lovers!

· Registered
998 Posts
my opinion in order of personal preference would be:
- LEDs
- Sunroof
- HUD

in order of likely resale appeal (but not necessarily value)
- Sunroof
- LEDs
- HUD

i get what jeremy is saying but a sunroof still adds that perception of a car with more value. the LED lights also have appeal but are also functionally valuable especially over the winter months. My personal opinion of the HUD is that it's an unnecessary gimmick that adds nothing in terms of function & is a clumsy design

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great, thank you! Am torn on the sunroof...have to say it did open out on view on the last car and see attached on the black it doesn't look bad at all! Will think about it. So far I have:

Midnight black
17 inch black track alloys
JCW kit
Punch leather in black
Folding mirrors (for parking!)
Heated windscreen
Chrome line interior
Media pack
Panoramic sunroof (probably)
HUD or LED

Attachments

· Registered
81 Posts
Hi all

My mini is being replaced due to a number of faults and I am speccing out a new one.

It will be midnight black with the sports kit, and black punch leather interior. Like the previous one, below.

I know specifications are very individual but in choosing between the sunroof, LEDs and HUD what do people consider most desirable or useful?

I wasn't that fussed about the LED lights but they seem to be the rage! Is it a problem to sell one in an aftermarket without?

Thanks
My wife's F56 has the sunroof and LEDs (and nav)
My daughter's F55 has the LEDs

neither have a HUD

think my views are pretty clear!

· Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I look at it like a need vs want thing. I also never buy a car with an eye toward it's eventual resale value. If you are ordering a new car for yourself get what you want not what someone else may want down the road.
My personal choice...

LED lights because they are more of a safety item. See better and be seen sooner.

HUD because it could potentially make your drive safer plus there's the "cool" factor.

Sunroof is nice to have, but can heat up the interior if you live in a hot climate. Hard to justify a sunroof when put up against better lights and controls. My R56 had the sunroof, but my F56 doesn't. I don't miss it.

In the best of worlds... get all three!

· Registered
120 Posts
As I've said in other threads, the LED headlights make a significant improvement to visibility. I didn't realize how much of a difference they would make until I drove with them. I don't think I could go back to incandescent. Those would be a must for me.

The HUD is useful if you have navigation, as jeremybingham said. You'll get graphics indicating upcoming decision points on your HUD from the navi.

The sunroof is something I personally can live without. While I do like the ability to let in extra light on dim days, it's not a must have for me.

Good luck with your new Mini! Post pics when you take delivery :D

· Registered
1,654 Posts
HUD is a waste of time without Driver assist I reckon (guess who didn't spec DA?????!!!!!)

LEDs is a must .... it's what makes the F56/F55.....

· Registered
96 Posts
As I've said in other threads, the LED headlights make a significant improvement to visibility. I didn't realize how much of a difference they would make until I drove with them. I don't think I could go back to incandescent. Those would be a must for me.

The HUD is useful if you have navigation, as jeremybingham said. You'll get graphics indicating upcoming decision points on your HUD from the navi.

The sunroof is something I personally can live without. While I do like the ability to let in extra light on dim days, it's not a must have for me.

Good luck with your new Mini! Post pics when you take delivery :D
I second all above

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! Will post pics but it should from the outside look like the last faulty one I had (attached)

Good luck with your new Mini! Post pics when you take delivery

Attachments

· Registered
890 Posts
If you are plagued by plod or speed cameras, then the HUD is a great asset with or without DA.

I could certainly live without a leaking sunroof and rarely drive at night, so no contest for me at any rate.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! Yes agree...or the nice thing is also just being able to change the speed safely and also to change music easily!

If you are plagued by plod or speed cameras, then the HUD is a great asset with or without DA.

I could certainly live without a leaking sunroof and rarely drive at night, so no contest for me at any rate.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Annoyed that MINI decided to replace your car but refuse to replace mine! :O However I'd go for the sunroof, although I think the LEDs look great.. You'd be lucky to find a car with a decent sunroof nowadays and I think that looks a **** site more impressive when open than some lights, although if you can get them to throw them in then why not but preference wise would be the sunroof.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I've decided. Going for the sunroof, HUD, folding mirrors, heated windscreen, JCW kit and you guessed it..the sunroof. I would have never have chosen it but it transformed a big black Mini in my view and looked pretty slick!

This will mean it will be pretty identical to the one it replaces (above). Sadly the last straw on the old one was the dreaded engine replacement!

· Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
The beauty is YOU have the choice. Yes if on a budget it's painful. I really wanted full leather but it was£100o too far. But it's great fun prioritizing and deciding. All part of the mini thing! And a great money spinner for the factory too. Win win.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.