Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2019 US F56 with the led UJ taillights. As I prefer the amber indicator light as used in the Euro/UK spec taillights, I got the UK OEM lights from ECS tuning. Install was easy but the amber light doesn't work when turning on the indicator. The vertical bar for brake light works fine.

I've gone through lots of post but having hard time understanding what or any coding i should do. Anyone gone through the same mod, and can share the coding steps involved?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Is this your first time trying to use Bimmercode?

Perhaps try coordinating with one of these guys in this thread:Coding issue with UJ tail light on 2019 JCW

Here is another experienced user: Rear Fog Lights (USA spec)

My roommate coded on a R56, and I briefly saw how the process worked. Nonetheless, I highly recommend learning what is involved before attempting any changes. The system is very finicky and you cannot skip steps or make “trial and error” changes (on some features).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this your first time trying to use Bimmercode?

Perhaps try coordinating with one of these guys in this thread:Coding issue with UJ tail light on 2019 JCW

Here is another experienced user: Rear Fog Lights (USA spec)

My roommate coded on a R56, and I briefly saw how the process worked. Nonetheless, I highly recommend learning what is involved before attempting any changes. The system is very finicky and you cannot skip steps or make “trial and error” changes (on some features).
Yeah I'm familiar with Bimmercode. Done several mods including the rear fog lights. Just for my scenario there doesn't seem to be clear steps. Thanks for the pointers, will check them out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just put a post up about this on another forum as I had not found anyone else looking to swap to get the amber turn signal portion. Glad to see someone else has at least tried this...

My biggest concern was that the amber horizontal portion would light up with the brake, rather than only with the signal. Seems like it's the opposite and doesn't seem to light up at all. Does anything illuminate for the turn signal? Were you able to get this resolved?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put a post up about this on another forum as I had not found anyone else looking to swap to get the amber turn signal portion. Glad to see someone else has at least tried this...

My biggest concern was that the amber horizontal portion would light up with the brake, rather than only with the signal. Seems like it's the opposite and doesn't seem to light up at all. Does anything illuminate for the turn signal? Were you able to get this resolved?
I have not yet resolved. Had to prio some other things, so they are still in a box. If you get any suggestions on the other forum please post here. I might try it again this weekend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bummer, was hoping you already fought through the battles haha...Sounds good though.

To be fair I don't have my car yet (at the port) so I'm still a month or so out from actually trying this. If you get to trying anything out definitely update this thread! Very surprised there's not more on this swap as modding for amber turn signals is very common on VW's 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have not yet resolved. Had to prio some other things, so they are still in a box. If you get any suggestions on the other forum please post here. I might try it again this weekend.
I was going to try this too, but I wasnt going to buy OEM lights, as I have heard they arent plug in play. The ones that have tried said something about needing to swap a pin or two in the harness. Im going to buy the smoked/clear ones from Amazon cause they are 3rd party and apparently are plug in play. I have a 2022 Cooper S with the UJ tails and I also want the amber turn signals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So the clear/smoked ones on Amazon give you the amber turn signal with no programming? And it makes it where the horizontal part is the turn signal, and the vertical is the brake?

Right now my plan is to do the programming to get the stock ones to perform as described above (horizontal turn, vertical brake) and then swap to the OEM amber lights. Just go my VeePeak so the fun will begin shortly!

Keep us posted in here if you can on your results with the clear/smoked light, always open to other options that are out there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So the clear/smoked ones on Amazon give you the amber turn signal with no programming? And it makes it where the horizontal part is the turn signal, and the vertical is the brake?
Yes and thats what ive been told by other that have bought them, I havent pulled the trigger since they are around $400 but amazon has a good return policy. Its one of my summer project plans. Here is the link for them theres a all clear and a red/clear

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man if these do work as described, with no programming needed, on a 2022 that would be a game changer! I'm partial to the look of these myself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081YT99K9/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=AEHBMF1VC40MG&th=1

Same type and function, just red internals rather than white.

Might have to give them a try first. If you go for them report back and let us know if they work on a 2022!
I’m not a fan of the the brake light implementation on these; the vertical should be red.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah it would probably look a bit better if the vertical was red all of the time when not illuminated from the brake. In some regards I think it looks better than the entire thing being red like the factory ones though. This makes the whole tail light assembly appear smaller, which is a welcome change imo.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man if these do work as described, with no programming needed, on a 2022 that would be a game changer! I'm partial to the look of these myself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081YT99K9/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=AEHBMF1VC40MG&th=1

Same type and function, just red internals rather than white.

Might have to give them a try first. If you go for them report back and let us know if they work on a 2022!
I went back and forth on the clear/red internals. I was thinking red for any possible legality concerns but the all clear/white just look awesome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m not a fan of the the brake light implementation on these; the vertical should be red.
I like it. The only parts that are red are the “running light” Union Jack parts. Many cars today have clear lenses for their taillights. As long as they still light up red I don’t see the issue. If they made the vertical brake light red as well it would make the red UJ look weird.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
200 Posts
Yes and thats what ive been told by other that have bought them, I havent pulled the trigger since they are around $400 but amazon has a good return policy. Its one of my summer project plans. Here is the link for them theres a all clear and a red/clear
Nice looking lights but as a proud Brit they offend me*. They do not represent the Union Flag/Jack correctly - our flag is not symmetrical and there is a right and wrong way of flying it. The right hand light is correct but the left hand light is wrong. I believe that the OEM UJ lights can not be sold in the US because they are asymmetric and there is something in the approval requirements for lights that means they must be symmetrical.

*Not really, just making the point. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
But the brake lights light up amber. AFAIK that’s a NHTSA no-no.
NO they dont. In the U.S. the vertical and horizontal lights are the brake light AND the turn signal, they are connected. But in the Euro version only the vertical light is the brake light. The Horizontal is the turn signal. They are 2 separate lights. So this is Euro style as you can see from the pictures. The only NHTSA violation here is that the lower part around the reverse/backup lights is no longer red, which functions as the rear reflector that is required, so they are marked as "For Off-Road Use Only". Many people find a way to put some red reflective stripes or decals somewhere on the bumper. But rarely will a cop pull you over for that. I had all clear taillights on my 2006 Cooper S and never had any problems with the law.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts