Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
The link in my original quoted reply.

ETA: we’re typing away at the same time!:D Yes, the video makes one look ambiguous, but the pic I grabbed is one from that listing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081YT99K9/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=AEHBMF1VC40MG&th=1 this is the link in your original quoted reply and I still dont see those images. Maybe cause you are in Canada?

EDIT: Sorry I just realized the issue. I was still looking at the red/smoke ones not the all clear ones, I see the pictures you are talking about now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen several Youtube videos to confirm it. The horizontal bar is wired for the turn indicator, the vertical bar is wired for the brake light, and the UJ section is the running light and ive noticed functions as a extra brake light. I have ordered mine and they should be here soon so I can confirm all this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok they are in. No error codes, and ALMOST everything works exactly as it should. This forum wont let me upload videos, but I did record them. So the Union Jack part lights up correctly as runnings lights, the reverse lights function properly although they flicker for a second, and the brake lights (which are RED btw), function correctly. The turn signals are the the only problem. The U.S. taillights the vertical and horizontal bars are connected and function as brake and turn signal. The Euro lights have a separate vertical red brake light, and a horizontal yellow (amber) turn indicator. When I turn on the turn signal only the red vertical bar flashes, not the yellow horizontal one. So it seems even with these lights the brake light and the turn signal are the same, maybe its a wiring or coding issue. But they look awesome. And are functional I just need to figure out why the yellow part isnt working.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Tire

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man I had such high hopes, but I knew it was too good to be true :/. Sounds like these function like the UK spec tail lights when you plug them into a US car. At least they look awesome though!!

I'm unsure if it's wiring or coding like you said. I have little to no experience with coding specialty stuff like this, so I wouldn't even know where to start. Either way it seems like the goal will be to get the stock lights to function where the horizontal part flashes separately from the vertical. Then from there amber turn signal lights should be plug and play regardless of type.

Any thoughts or plans for diagnosing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Bimmercode and an OBD2 adapter already, if you have come across any coding ideas (I have not seen any, but I'm new to all of this) that makes the horizontal portion only flash for turn signal (and not come on for brake) post it in here and I can try. Should apply just the same for factory lights...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that. Will read through off and on in between work stuff...

EDIT: So with some initial reading, I think I learned two things...(1) Coding the amber horizontal flash section as separate from the vertical brake section should be simple and can be summed up in post #21. (2) It appears there is an internal wiring difference between US and UK spec lights, meaning that I won't be able to try the coding on my factory lights to try and separate the vertical and horizontal sections and their functions. Guess I'll get to ordering the UK amber turn signal lights :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that. Will read through off and on in between work stuff...

EDIT: So with some initial reading, I think I learned two things...(1) Coding the amber horizontal flash section as separate from the vertical brake section should be simple and can be summed up in post #21. (2) It appears there is an internal wiring difference between US and UK spec lights, meaning that I won't be able to try the coding on my factory lights to try and separate the vertical and horizontal sections and their functions. Guess I'll get to ordering the UK amber turn signal lights :)
Nice, I’m waiting on my OBD2 adapter so I can see if it works. Let me know if you get any progress before I do.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts