Mini Cooper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same amazon/ebay/aliexpress lights (I am sure they all come from the same factory)

Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

I have given up trying to get the "euro" style as I really dont care that much. These look SOOOOO much better than the US red ones that I am super happy. Been on for over a year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same amazon/ebay/aliexpress lights (I am sure they all come from the same factory)

View attachment 78506

I have given up trying to get the "euro" style as I really dont care that much. These look SOOOOO much better than the US red ones that I am super happy. Been on for over a year.
Indeed they do, I love the look. But Im determined to figure them out. I went through Bimmercode and changed everything I was told to from the thread on North American Motoring and none of it worked. Im working on getting the PIN outs for the harness and light to test which wire does what. I like a challenge.

·
Registered
34 Posts

View attachment 78506

I was set on the smoked but with red lenses, but your photo changed my mind! Just ordered mine. Hoping between all of us we can get it figured out how to get the amber turn signal to function. At least they're still usable without in the meantime...

Indeed they do, I love the look. But Im determined to figure them out. I went through Bimmercode and changed everything I was told to from the thread on North American Motoring and none of it worked. Im working on getting the PIN outs for the harness and light to test which wire does what. I like a challenge.
Bummer, not what I was hoping to hear in regards to coding. I assume tried all of the options for separating the two sections of light, and messing with the function itself? Mine should be in this weekend so hopefully I'll get to take a crack at some of the coding over the next couple of weeks...Keep us posted on progress!

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah they look amazing! And I tried everything in the post however it’s in German on Expert Mode. I’m trying to brush up on my German. And I have learned something new but not officially confirmed it. Depending on your year and what options you had, the coding might work for you. But the 2018+ U.S. specs that came from the factory with Union Jack taillights the signal for the brake and turn indicator comes through the same single wire, and it’s the Body Control Module that sends different signals through that wire to the taillight. That’s why the turn inductor overrides the brake light when looking at them on. Apparently the earlier non LCI 3rd gens don’t have this problem.
I was set on the smoked but with red lenses, but your photo changed my mind! Just ordered mine. Hoping between all of us we can get it figured out how to get the amber turn signal to function. At least they're still usable without in the meantime...

Bummer, not what I was hoping to hear in regards to coding. I assume tried all of the options for separating the two sections of light, and messing with the function itself? Mine should be in this weekend so hopefully I'll get to take a crack at some of the coding over the next couple of weeks...Keep us posted on progress!

·
Registered
75 Posts
So if one has a 2018+ US spec car the resolution may be running an additional wire from the BCM to the tail light, then doing the respective coding?
Maybe, I havent been able to test that. But its seems 2014-2017 cars that didnt come with UJ taillights, the turn signal works after being coded. They have a separate wire for the turns and a separate wire for the brakes even though both cars have the same 5-6 wire connector. (some of the cars only have 5 wires and 1 of those wires has to be swapped from one position into the open position, other cars have all 6 wires)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just to clarify, the LCI1 cars started with the 2019 model year, not 2018. Production of the LCI1 cars started in March 2018, but they were 2019 model year cars. So, if you have have 2014-2018 (in the U.S./Canada) model year car, then retrofitting the European/UK UJ lights shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just to clarify, the LCI1 cars started with the 2019 model year, not 2018. Production of the LCI1 cars started in March 2018, but they were 2019 model year cars. So, if you have have 2014-2018 (in the U.S./Canada) model year car, then retrofitting the European/UK UJ lights shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t sure if it was 2018 or 19 for the LCI. I know my 2022 is called an LCI2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Alright, so got my tail lights installed. They of course look amazing, but they function a bit different than expected. Here's what I got:

Tail light: Red main Union Jack section, as expected
Brake: Red main Union Jack section (brighter than tail light) and vertical section of the T
Turn signal: Red main Union Jack section (brighter than tail light) and vertical section of the T
Reverse: white oval light as expected

Of course this is with no coding. How does this jive with what others have when installing these lights?

Also, I have 5 wires to my connector. Pin 1 is not populated. I assume this is standard on US cars at least, would be good to know what the European cars have so we can begin the journey of moving a wire or rerunning one all together.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Alright, so got my tail lights installed. They of course look amazing, but they function a bit different than expected. Here's what I got:

Tail light: Red main Union Jack section, as expected
Brake: Red main Union Jack section (brighter than tail light) and vertical section of the T
Turn signal: Red main Union Jack section (brighter than tail light) and vertical section of the T
Reverse: white oval light as expected

Of course this is with no coding. How does this jive with what others have when installing these lights?

Also, I have 5 wires to my connector. Pin 1 is not populated. I assume this is standard on US cars at least, would be good to know what the European cars have so we can begin the journey of moving a wire or rerunning one all together.
Can you post pictures? I have heard some lights where the UJ section also functions as the brake light. On mine its only the vertical section of the T that is the brake and turn, the UJ section is only the running light (taillight). If you have only 5 wires you maybe able to swap a pin from I think its 5 to 1. My harness has all 6 wires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you mean photos of the harness/cable ends?

Interesting that yours has all 6 positions populated, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised now. At least if all 6 are there then yours should be a matter of removing or swapping a couple, rather than having to run a whole new wire from BCM. We really need to know which wires are populated on UK cars to give a sense of what wires are needed where before even diving into coding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes maybe we can compare harness's or pin out/wire configurations. I want to try and see which wires are sending what signals. And yeah the UK cars can do it, and I cant imagine their wiring harness or plug is different from ours. I dont have a multimeter, but I figured that could be used to see what wires do what on both the taillight and the plug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is my passenger side and driver side respectively. Pin 1 is unpopulated on both. I don't know if I'd agree that the wiring wouldn't be different as yours has 6 wires and mine only has 5...

I've got a multimeter and was going to try some of that next. Would still really like to know what UK cars have as that could be a big piece of the puzzle.

Hand Automotive lighting Sleeve Eyewear Finger

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is my passenger side and driver side respectively. Pin 1 is unpopulated on both. I don't know if I'd agree that the wiring wouldn't be different as yours has 6 wires and mine only has 5...

I've got a multimeter and was going to try some of that next. Would still really like to know what UK cars have as that could be a big piece of the puzzle.
True, but mine is a 2022, and it came with the Red UJs from the factory. That could be why it has 6. I will take pictures of my harnesses too and see if we can compare wiring pin outs.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts