Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our cars use a type of battery that is known as an Absorbent Glass Mat, or AGM battery. Apparently the demands of the auto-stop feature (frequent restarts) necessitate a battery that is a bit more robust and capable of being discharged further than a traditional lead-acid battery.

Check out this interesting, short article for more about AGM batteries.

Wikipedia dives a bit deeper into the subject

One thing in the first article causes concern:
AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat and should be installed away from the engine compartment. Manufacturers recommend halting charge if the battery core reaches 49°C (120°F).

49C? Seriously? That's almost sweater weather in Arizona. My cars already go through batteries like crazy-- I wonder if I can look forward to a series of replacement AGM batteries when summer rolls around?

The requirement to mount the batteries away from the engine compartment makes me curious about that goofy red pimple sticking up out of the blackness on the right side of the engine compartment. Said pimple is the positive battery terminal, exposed for our jump-starting pleasure. I assumed that the terminal was close to the actual battery, but now I'm not so sure. Anybody know where the battery actually is?

If it is inside the engine compartment, then conditions in the summer are going to get quite toasty for my AGM battery. If not, then perhaps there's hope.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Yes looks to me like it is insulated. To be fair even lead acid batteries hate hot engine bays oldest battery I had was in an mr2 it was at th e front with the engine at the rear .lasted forever!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have read that the battery is low down in the engine compartment, and therefor should be at the coolest place, although still quite hot I would imagine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, it's not going to get very hot here. I'm not too worried.

My real worry is that the rest of the car will rust to ratshit and I'll have nothing to show for my money but a really fancy battery. Uke, I'll send it to you if that happens.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
No worries about rust they are made of a special zinc impregnated steel, not galvanised as such, our guide gave it a special name, plus all the paint then wax which you can actually see coming out of certain drain holes, you dont/wont see many rusty minis.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries about rust they are made of a special zinc impregnated steel, not galvanised as such, our guide gave it a special name, plus all the paint then wax which you can actually see coming out of certain drain holes, you dont/wont see many rusty minis.
On the factory videos you can see the whole bare chassis is completely submerged in various tanks. On exit, stuff is running out of every orifice on the frame. Since it's an electrostatic process, I imagine the car is extremely well protected from corrosion (at least until some owner decides to drill a hole for his DIY backup camera, that is).

Further on in the build a robot can be seen spraying PVC to help defend against chips on the underside. The car seems very well protected.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Yes they were very proud of the fact on the factory tour. Even the bare metal has a degree of rust resistance!

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes they were very proud of the fact on the factory tour. Even the bare metal has a degree of rust resistance!
So you lot were all busy snickering at me while I was obsessing over salt on the underside in the touchless car wash thread? LOL

A rustproof Mini somehow seems inconsistent with the whole Mini concept. In the '70s the new Minis we got here would already have rust from the ocean trip over the Atlantic. We referred to it a new factory fresh rust. Fortunately Honda and Toyota cars were even rustier.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
So you lot were all busy snickering at me while I was obsessing over salt on the underside in the touchless car wash thread? LOL

A rustproof Mini somehow seems inconsistent with the whole Mini concept. In the '70s the new Minis we got here would already have rust from the ocean trip over the Atlantic. We referred to it a new factory fresh rust. Fortunately Honda and Toyota cars were even rustier.
Yes you're right re the rust. Brother had a mini city in the late 80s and he coated it in waxoyl but it was still dissloving. They went along the seller's as they were external.!!!

Sorry about letting you worry but love what you write!

Further to ease your underside salt fears have you had a look under there. A large part of it is covered in plastic trays so the metal is very well protected.

Have you had a look at the YouTube factory video? Search making of mini f56,

Said you know they wipe the shell over with real ostrich feathers? Best at removing dust apparently?!

Paint shop is out of bounds on the factory tour as its a dust free environment!

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts

Take a look, I could bore you to tears about the tour, it reall y is that quiet you can chat at normal voice levels
, immaculately clean no dirt
not many people till final assembly, in t g e body shop 2000 and24 workers.
, the robots assembling parts make batches and know to wait if there is a back log,
the dashboards are carried on fingerless carts . They stop if you step out in front of them,

every car has a sender on it that gives the spec,each stage this is read,

the wiring loom is assembled specific to car and option spec, all versions, at the mo of the f56 f55 and cabrio and coupe and roadsters travel along the same final line,

the body is built,painted then they take doors off for interior assembly and reunite them at the end,

the door alignment man is a total genius, and manages the 5 door or t h e 3 door,

they plug the car in at t h e end and everything is checked for operation accordingly you watch as every working item on the car goes off, lights up or moves, e.g. Windows!

If a fault occurs on the line everything stops,
If the final check is negative they go to a trouble shooter bay, there weren't many in there. They then drive the car out and on to a train or transporter. Amazing., I could go on. Needless to say I need to go again. A must for any mini fan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts