Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hardly get the chance to drive my auto F56 JCW as I use a another vehicle for my work. When I do get into the seat of the JCW and take it for a drive I am somewhat underwhelmed and disappointed. Is this down to the heavy traffic I seem to encounter every time I drive it, or am I now use to the car? All these feelings towards the JCW come after watching the upbeat and fantastic reviews on the new Yaris GR and how it makes the drivers feel.

I am just wondering if anyone has had similar feelings and how do I fall back in love with driving the Mini?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hardly get the chance to drive my auto F56 JCW as I use a another vehicle for my work. When I do get into the seat of the JCW and take it for a drive I am somewhat underwhelmed and disappointed. Is this down to the heavy traffic I seem to encounter every time I drive it, or am I now use to the car? All these feelings towards the JCW come after watching the upbeat and fantastic reviews on the new Yaris GR and how it makes the drivers feel.

I am just wondering if anyone has had similar feelings and how do I fall back in love with driving the Mini?
Hey Soc,
Maybe you need a upgrade, because I did have the same feeling about the mini jcw.
Toyota yaris gr, nice but small car with a 1.6 ltr engine, will be nice for about a couple of months, but then you will miss the luxery from the mini.
First things that I changed on the jcw, tuned to 300 hp with pops and bangs.
Second changed the chrome for black(blacked out) I have the black jcw with the red roof and mirrors.
Then I changed the tyres from 205-40-18 to 215-40-18 and also placed spacers, front spacers 12 mm and rear 15 mm and drilled/slotted brake discs.
Changed the backlights for the union flag ones, and also fitted the digital dash (gp) with the jcw logo.
Did not have the folding mirros, so installed those also.
So all I want to say.... Maybe you miss these things to make the jcw complete.
It drives like a bomb full with direct power.
I'am a happy owner again

Guillermo

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Soc,
Maybe you need a upgrade, because I did have the same feeling about the mini jcw.
Toyota yaris gr, nice but small car with a 1.6 ltr engine, will be nice for about a couple of months, but then you will miss the luxery from the mini.
First things that I changed on the jcw, tuned to 300 hp with pops and bangs.
Second changed the chrome for black(blacked out) I have the black jcw with the red roof and mirrors.
Then I changed the tyres from 205-40-18 to 215-40-18 and also placed spacers, front spacers 12 mm and rear 15 mm and drilled/slotted brake discs.
Changed the backlights for the union flag ones, and also fitted the digital dash (gp) with the jcw logo.
Did not have the folding mirros, so installed those also.
So all I want to say.... Maybe you miss these things to make the jcw complete.
It drives like a bomb full with direct power.
I'am a happy owner again

Guillermo

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I have most options as you described apart from the tune to more power. I find the front wheels already struggle with traction on a damp road. I think my issue is mostly due to excessive traffic and very little opportunity to drive it sportily on a normal journey.

·
Registered
mini cooper SD 2015
70 Posts
I have most options as you described apart from the tune to more power. I find the front wheels already struggle with traction on a damp road. I think my issue is mostly due to excessive traffic and very little opportunity to drive it sportily on a normal journey.
i dont own a JCW i have a SD but its got a similar torque, if your struggling for grip it could be the tyres your using or the fact that planting it in the wet will make it skid. do you stay near country roads or anything like that i commute in my SD and have it in eco mode i get bored until i get home on a Friday and i always go the long drive home makes me fall in love with my car again. my advice find a nice route and a quite time the roads will be empty later or wake up early and go a road trip you'll fall back in love.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, i don't know what your driving experience is, what other cars you've driven and what you expect from a fun car.
But i get to enjoy my JCW the most when i'm able to drive it hard, dart through the corners, have some a bit-less-than-legal fun in the streets.
Not sure i'll be able to get any fun in heavy traffic because when you're stuck in one lane moving at like 20 km\h on average like everyone else the JCW isn't much different from any other cars.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My JCW has 311 bhp and i can honestly say its the most fun car i have ever owned,sure if you are stuck in traffic its just like any other car all but aq bit noisier but once on the open road it just puts a huge smill on my face.

·
Registered
mini cooper SD 2015
70 Posts
My JCW has 311 bhp and i can honestly say its the most fun car i have ever owned,sure if you are stuck in traffic its just like any other car all but aq bit noisier but once on the open road it just puts a huge smill on my face.
well i think i know im buying the JCW as my next car unless i can mod the SD to be anywhere close to 300bhp

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds more like you need to find some new roads rather than a new car. If the issue is traffic then maybe try some very early or late drives when there is less traffic or find some wiggly A roads (lockdown permitting).

You could also try driving in ECO mode for a couple of trips then revert to SPORT and see how that makes you feel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I think your all correct. It’s not the car but a mixture of covid lockdown fatigue and not driving as it is intended on traffic free B roads . Living in South Wales we are spoilt with the amount of great roads for driving, so I will treat the mini to some
Of these very soon!

·
Registered
376 Posts
First question is whether you are driving in sport mode and/or have the transmission in Sport? If not, you are likely to be underwhelmed. I have mine coded (using Bimmercode) to default to Sport mode at startup and always put the transmission in Sport ... it really wakes up the car. Also, I did not like the steering feel in Sport mode, so I turned that feature off ... I found it to be heavy and dead compared to normal steering. I find the car to be a blast, even in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First question is whether you are driving in sport mode and/or have the transmission in Sport? If not, you are likely to be underwhelmed. I have mine coded (using Bimmercode) to default to Sport mode at startup and always put the transmission in Sport ... it really wakes up the car. Also, I did not like the steering feel in Sport mode, so I turned that feature off ... I found it to be heavy and dead compared to normal steering. I find the car to be a blast, even in heavy traffic.
Is it possible to code Normal steering when in Sport mode on an LCI F56? I've been searching the web to no avail.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When lockdown is over, take it for a day trip through the valleys and the Brecon Beacons. Give it a good thrash :)
100% this. Get out there and drive it like you stole it. Tear up those great Welsh roads and get your money's worth out of your road tax ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
One more thing.
I just changed into winter tires (Continental TS850P) recently and was once again disappointed with how flimsy it felt compared to the regular summer setup (Pirelli P Zero, nothing special).
Sooo... when you give it the beans, make sure to wear a proper set of performance tires to get the most of your car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts