Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to work the text messages function? My phone functions work fine but just not text function? Any ideas? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your reply, maybe its an issue with iPhone perhaps? @Mister M, what phone are you using? iPhone?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Make sure you have Allow Notifications selected in the phone settings:
Settings-notifications-messages. Select Allow Notifications and Show On Lock Screen

Note it will only display texts that have been received since you started your current journey, or since your phone was last bluetooth connected in the car. It will not show any old texts. Also once your phone leaves the car any texts are not stored in the car

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @Hat, i will look into it but my notifications seem to be already as you said?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I had a iPhone 6 plus and on the Bluetooth menu under the device settings for my car I was able to turn on Message Notifications, however since changing to a six for greater capacity purposes this option is no longer available and I'm confused at to why that is...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a iPhone 6 plus and on the Bluetooth menu under the device settings for my car I was able to turn on Message Notifications, however since changing to a six for greater capacity purposes this option is no longer available and I'm confused at to why that is...
I had this same issue before. For a long while the 'Show Notification' slider on my iPhone 6 plus bluetooth menu for the Mini is not available. It simply just appeared and I'm not sure how because I didn't do any software upgrade to either phone or mini connected. Hopefully the same will be true to your phone...after a while.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I had this same issue before. For a long while the 'Show Notification' slider on my iPhone 6 plus bluetooth menu for the Mini is not available. It simply just appeared and I'm not sure how because I didn't do any software upgrade to either phone or mini connected. Hopefully the same will be true to your phone...after a while.
Scratch that, mine does work.. However I realised why I thought it didn't because all it does is give a little message icon next to your signal strength, I did somewhat expect an alert of some sort. If I'm being stupid and there is one let me know.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eerrmm maybe I'm being dim but what's the point of that, surely it should be capable of reading the received text out. Note I don't have my MINI yet so I may be spouting rubbish lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Top tip - if you hold down the speech button on the steering wheel, it activates Siri through the car's mic and speakers

From there, you can dictate and read out messages a lot better than using the Mini's interface. You can also use Siri to voice dial better too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All sorted! Reading various threads on the subject has given me the answers!
On iPhone, open Bluetooth menu, on the mini pairing click the 'i ' symbol next to it and move the slider on show notifications to on, then bobs your uncle...done!

·
Registered
505 Posts
The one problem with texts I have run up against is that some of my friends have issues with fat-fingering mispellings into their texts... that definitely can confuse the text to speech lady lol. We did learn last night that she can curse like a pirate, though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts