Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm after the opinions from the real experts, you guys, the actual users.
My 2015 F56 JCW is finally due for a new set of boots. I have the originals on which are the Dunlop Maxx2 rft. Their riding on the standard 18" Cup spoke rims.
I would like to keep to the RFT types and looking at better grip but also keeping the good wear rate. Price is not critical as I can wait for the specials.
I have read alot of information on tyres and now completely confused.
Im in Australia, Tasmania so mainly all weather driving.
Cheers

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I would like a bigger stance on the road so looking at possibly 225x40x18 size. Do these rub?

·
Registered
490 Posts
The grip from a RFT will never be as good as a conventional tyre due to the lack of sidewall compliance.
If you enjoy a spirited drive (your JCW does), I would recommend making the switch.
I carry a small inflator, small can of goo and a plug kit instead of a spare.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very true, I have read the non rft are better but I would prefer to stick with rft as my wife uses the mini, picking up kids etc. Don't want to burden them with the goo use. I can comfortably repair a puncture to better doing this without the goo.

·
Registered
2014 MCS
115 Posts
I agree with Dragonfly's comments but I also understand your need for a family car which must keep running with minimal fuss.
I'm not sure how heavily it snows in Tassie but I used to have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A on my R55 and it was a great all rounder in all weather conditions - Sydney weather (better than our Dunlop Sport SP Maxx on the F56). No comment on the Bridgestone tread wear as I don't drive much on a daily basis but it had good stability, grip and a nice profile too. The RE050A is replaced by the newer S001 RFT (check if sizes are available)

You should be able to squeeze on 225s but check for clearance against the shock strut - might need a spacer (someone else can verify this). When it comes time to change out the Dunlops on our F56, I'm going to non RFT Michelin PS4 in 215s.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers iakun.
As for snow, it does but not where I live or my daily runs, only in the mountains to the south of us so not really considering snow variables.
I have mixed feelings about the Dunlops, great wearing, 65k km travelled so far but one had a split in the sidewall (slow leak only), very noisy and not much grip.
Haven't yet considered Bridgestone but will look into it.
PS4's would be great but I'm really after run flats.
Continental c5's look good but very heavy wear rate. Goodyear - not sure and Yokohama could also have a very high wear rate.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you're at stock ride height and on stock suspension, you should be able to run a 225 without a spacer. It's fairly common as the 225 is most manufacturer's cheapest width in that diameter/profile.

That's how a 225 sits on the Cup spokes; it's as much tyre as you can safely fit on a 7J

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, they do sit out from the rim, love it :cool:. My wife scraped my front left rim. I was Very unimpressed and still scarred from it. She owes me big time. So I'm glad the 225's fit, now the question of what rubber? What has 2020 have to offer that is truly good.

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
90 Posts
Wow, they do sit out from the rim, love it :cool:. My wife scraped my front left rim. I was Very unimpressed and still scarred from it. She owes me big time. So I'm glad the 225's fit, now the question of what rubber? What has 2020 have to offer that is truly good.
EXACTLY the same here. Only had the car a month and she managed to kerb the front left - and about half the circumference though fortunately only on the outer lip and not the spokes.

The Dunlops seem pretty good to me compared to other RFT I've used in the past on other cars, at least in terms of grip and comfort. The worst by a long way were the Pirelli PZeros fitted to a C Class Merc - they were extremely hard riding, poor grip in cold conditions and failed catastrophically at about 9,000 miles.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't it funny about tyres. We had some very low profile Pirelli Pzero rft on our bmw 1 series. They had so much grip that the BMW handled much better than the mini. Soft tyre so didn't last long. They were a much bigger tyre on the BMW, 19" and wider. M series rims. But you are right, 1 tyre developed a bulge on the sidewall so was promptly replaced.

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
90 Posts
One thing I should add is the PZeros I was referring are the old design although they still make them. The newer PZ4 (PZ4 is printed on the sidewall and tyre has completely new tread pattern) is a lot better and I ran them for a year on the R8 (not runflats) - only replaced them after shredding them on a few track days. These are available in 205/40-18 runflats with BMW/Mini homologation so could be a good option - they may be factory fit in some regions.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better the devil you know sometimes.
Driving an R8 on a track, now you're making me jealous 👍

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've done some more investigation in the 225 wide tyres on the North American site and from what I can find, fitting the 225's on the standard 18" Cup spoke rims that are 7" wide is a big stretch and more so it depends on the tyre chosen depends if they rub or not.
Anyone have experience on what tyres rub with this size and what doesn't?
The tyre options in the 215 size range is very poor.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
MINI should have given the JCW 225's as standard, and engineered as such. It would have made the car less traction limited.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very true but I suppose that's the beauty of after market gear, to improve on standard OEM gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're at stock ride height and on stock suspension, you should be able to run a 225 without a spacer. It's fairly common as the 225 is most manufacturer's cheapest width in that diameter/profile.

View attachment 69127

That's how a 225 sits on the Cup spokes; it's as much tyre as you can safely fit on a 7J
What brand of tyres have you got fitted as I'm thinking about going to 225/40/18's on my JCW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts