Mini Cooper Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the armrest was designed with the automatic in mind. For me it's a little awkward after being used to a RWD car with the gearbox lying between the two front seats with short shift stuck directly in a hole in the transmission.

At the moment it is a little high and I did think I had already adjusted it as low as it would go. Will have to have another look. With the auto I'm always reaching for sport mode for those moments I want to slow down like a manual and not have to brake super early. Still getting used to the car since I've only had it a couple of weeks.

The compartment is perfect for storing cables and glasses. I have prescription glasses and sunglasses and always leave the pair I'm not using in the armrest just in case I get caught out driving at an odd time. I wish it had a extra USB and AUX built in though.

I'm a bit disappointed that Mini custom made the wiring harnesses based on your factory spec. You would think they would encourage people wanting to modify or upgrade parts later. Removing that probably loses them a ton of money in mini upgrades.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the armrest. I use mine every single time I drive my mini. It's too awkward to shift gears in a manual car to not use one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Armrest

Waste of time, bring back the secret glove box. I always have the arm rest up, now my dog cant get into the back by jumping between the seats, i understand i can put it down to get the dog into the back. It should have been a option . Not a fan?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wayne welcome to the forum.:) I agree with you it should be an option. I tried it again last night with the arm rest all the way down and used manual option to shift my auto tranny still not a fan of the arm rest.:(

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Speaking of Dip Sticks 3 years ago I looked at a Mercedes and MB installed "fake dip sticks" under the hood including the tube that holds the stick. As a good tire kicking gear head I pulled on it to check/smell the oil and voila I had a yellow piece of plastic in my hand but no stick. :eek: I used a piece of gum stuck the yellow piece back on and walked away from that car. :D:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Speaking of Dip Sticks 3 years ago I looked at a Mercedes and MB installed "fake dip sticks" under the hood including the tube that holds the stick. As a good tire kicking gear head I pulled on it to check/smell the oil and voila I had a yellow piece of plastic in my hand but no stick. :eek: I used a piece of gum stuck the yellow piece back on and walked away from that car. :D:D
Although this is my favourite mini, my dislikes are the 1.dip stick, 2.armrest, 3.drivers side window no visor, but the plugs are where it use to be.
The no dipstick is the worst decion mini made as i dont trust the electronic check that is available now. Plus the car has to be warm before you measure it. ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wayne welcome to the forum.:) I agree with you it should be an option. I tried it again last night with the arm rest all the way down and used manual option to shift my auto tranny still not a fan of the arm rest.:(
Politely hijacking this thread, you may wish to take a look at my recent post “F56 armrest; a Marmite moment (and how to simply remove it)”

·
Registered
2021 F56 S stick Paddy Hopkirk, '12 Coupe S, 13 Roadster S, 14 Countryman S
120 Posts
You likely know this already, but is case not here is down, and all the way down, achieved by the handle/lever as you wrap your hand around he front.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Don't forget you can buy the sun visor for the drivers side-very easy pop in fit-around £70 from your dealer-get them to look at 2014 minis and it comes up on the microfiche

Reactions: Snufkin

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I purchased my first Mini (2012), I bought the armrest and installed it because I needed a little storage compartment for the console… imagine that.

On the same evening, I removed it because it obstructed me from changing gears, and using the parking brake.

If you have an automatic gearbox and the electronic handbrake, then it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
186 Posts
I have an automatic with the old-style handbrake, previously had a manual Mini. The armrest is much easier to live with in an auto and I have it down most of the time now. The only time it needs moving is when I park up and need to apply the handbrake, or retrieve my disklok from behind the passenger seat.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts