Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok a quick update have had a good look around and a drive, first impressions are good it is very quiet for a diesel and I have had a few, also brisk although will get a few more miles on it before opening it up. One is issue is that there is some kind of vibration from the rear and I can only describe it as the sound of a propeller engined aircraft flying overhead! I checked underneath and the bottom of the rear bumper seems to be flimsy and move a lot, so could be that vibrating. However the rear alloys seemed very hot, so could be something binding, will be driving more tomorrow so will monitor. Also a quality control issue in that one door speaker has the chrome surround and the other doesn't, annoying but easy to fix.
Im not sure of the 15 ins alloys seem lost in the wheel arch but that's just my opinion, it was either them or the Led lights and seeing as I do a lot of miles they won on safety grounds.

Some photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Looks really good!

I think there's a plastic enclosure under the right hand side where the spare wheel goes... maybe that's vibrating? Does it still make a sound at low speed? Just thinking aloud...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Washy you drive a hard bargain

>:D

I hope I don't have no teething problems or I might need some therapy after my two years

:nerd:

Seriously our F56 has been good, but things do go wrong and I have had more than my fair share of issues over the years with MINI's, but hasn't deterred me from buying them. A lot of that though is down to how the dealer treats you and resolves the problems when they do happen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks really good!

I think there's a plastic enclosure under the right hand side where the spare wheel goes... maybe that's vibrating? Does it still make a sound at low speed? Just thinking aloud...
Thank you, yes I have had a look and have re-tightened the securing bolt but the plastic container is flimsy and knocks against the bottom of the bumper. I'm going to check what happens at different speeds and stick in place some foam if that is the issue. I also wondered if it was the exhaust because it would have been dislodged when the engine was changed, but that seems ok, no rattles when shaken or whacked with a great big sledge hammer ;)

Mini

Takes time to get the car to the customers

Then we have issues

:eek:

Hopefully they will be sorted!

Just a note: The other car looks okay too ;)
Thanks again, yes it's annoying but hopefully easily overcome. Thanks for the comments on my other 'baby' a bit if an indulgence but cars are my drug of choice:D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I love cars too but my experiences have knocked me hard for a while now - hopefully this Mini will be kind to me - sometime next year will go for something bigger ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ok a quick update have had a good look around and a drive, first impressions are good it is very quiet for a diesel and I have had a few, also brisk although will get a few more miles on it before opening it up. One is issue is that there is some kind of vibration from the rear and I can only describe it as the sound of a propeller engined aircraft flying overhead! I checked underneath and the bottom of the rear bumper seems to be flimsy and move a lot, so could be that vibrating. However the rear alloys seemed very hot, so could be something binding, will be driving more tomorrow so will monitor. Also a quality control issue in that one door speaker has the chrome surround and the other doesn't, annoying but easy to fix.
Im not sure of the 15 ins alloys seem lost in the wheel arch but that's just my opinion, it was either them or the Led lights and seeing as I do a lot of miles they won on safety grounds.

Some photos attached.
I read your post with interest as my car is built & awaiting delivery to the dealership...

You definitely have a more relaxed attitude than I would - strange noises & mis-matched trim!!??

I would be standing in front of the dealer principal right now demanding action and a replacement car in the meanwhile...

Having seen the QC & logistics standards in action at the factory quite recently, I'm at a loss to understand how your car was built incorrectly.

My advice would be to go straight back to the garage PDQ !!

One final note, I believe the LED headlights are a nice to have option but, for me, definitely not a great 'safety' benefit.

ALL Car headlights must, of course, meet strict safety standards and, having driven cars with various types of lighting, I do agree that some systems are brighter & have better reach/distribution patterns.

However, I've yet to drive any modern car which had 'inadequate' headlights.

Good luck with your Cooper D - every MINI I've owned has been reliable & well-built. The new one had better be just the same!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for your comments, the reason I'm being calm about things is because it's a company car, if it was my own I can assure that I would be on to the dealer straight away, having rejected three cars due to problems in the past.
I can only speak from experience regarding the lights in that the halogens are not always as bright as they can be even when you upgrade the bulbs. I much prefer xenons or now LEDs, 5am starts on on unlit roads are no fun with rubbish lights, but each to their own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice, love the colour, but maybe I am abit biased. :)
sorry to hear you have a few issues but am sure the dealer will sort them quickly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts