Mini Cooper Forum banner

The end of the road for manual gearboxes?

7K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Steven023 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It seems like Toyota are going in the opposite direction

Maybe BMW were not getting enough orders for manual box sportier spec cars as this manual M4 will not be available in the UK

#4 ·
The troubling thing for me personally is my JCW manual spec comes out at about £30,000 in the UK, but the forced uptake of the auto option will now raise this to £31,700 (and I would rather have the manual!).

My stance on it is I will take an auto but I don't want to pay any more for it, so it will be interesting to see what the dealer comes back with when we catch up later this week.

#6 ·
I had a manual Clubman for the day on Thursday while the software update was carried out.
I have to say it was a very stiff, uneasy change, not vey pleasant at all! The car had only done 1500 miles so it maybe needed a bit of use to free it off?

#7 ·
I found the manual to be very smooth and super easy to change the gears from the moment the car was offloaded at my home with 7 delivery miles early April. In fact it’s one of the nicest manual gearboxes I’ve had with a very prompt bite and just the right amount of resistance in the pedal and the stick. 4 weeks into ownership and 2.5k miles done and I can’t fault it.

#12 ·
Show me the memo that says we have run out of or cannot supply anymore manual boxes ….:mad:

Why not just say we can only make a limited number of cars and we want to make the maximum from each chassis?

if you have an order in the system it should be delivered as you specified and ordered, or at least a free upgrade to auto if you want it, but many don't choose their box by cost alone, given the choice I would walk or delay delivery (after a suitable incentive)

the-pre facelift F56 was simpler with less chips and more charm, why not own the mistake and build more of the old cars….progress ain’t rolling something in glitter.

#14 ·
This is ridiculous and likely ends my dream of owning a Mini. I think this is more of a way to limit options available in the final production run of the outgoing model. I am not yet sold on the next generation and was hoping to get a JCW ordered with a manual. Going back and forth with the dealer on whether a classic trim was actually able to be ordered was a hassle in and of itself.

Looks like this is the final nail in the coffin.

I’m likely switching my search to the Toyota GR86.

#15 ·
I’m likely switching my search to the Toyota GR86.
You're better off waiting.

Mini confirmed this will be temporary and " will be reinstated in the future when circumstances allow".
GR86 demand, especially manual, is still very high since it's release 5-6 months ago. You'll either have to get lucky and find a place willing to accept a deposit for a place in line, or be willing to may a ridiculous ADM (probably both). Most MSRP dealerships already have long lines. This is if you're willing to accept any trim level and color that comes in manual - if you want a specific configuration... there is ultimately no guarantee you'll get a car at all.

Meanwhile, you can order exactly what you want from Mini and probably get it in 5-6 months. A completely difference experience, lol - one I wish Toyota of North America mimicked (they allow custom orders in other countries...).

#19 ·
I understand from my dealer that at the moment, the manual transmission is temporarily suspended due to the parts coming from Ukraine.
I saw a video on Youtube this morning that discussed the manual production problems that I thought explained the situation clearly. It's a long video, but the first four minutes discussed the manual transmission.
The title: MINI Halting Production Of Manual Transmission - It's Not What You Think
Link:

#22 ·
As I understand it, its just a Temporary thing, because the wiring harness for the manual transmission comes from the Ukraine, and they cant get them right now cause of the war. They maybe also testing the waters to see how much it effects their sales by not offering them. I wouldnt have bought my MINI if manual wasnt an option.

#23 ·

So apparently, the manual gear box would return in 2023 for the US market ? On the german configurator, only the Cooper is available in manual for now. Any info ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.