Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

After owning a R52 and a R56, I am now a proud owner of a F54. When I went to the model presentation party, I figured it was too big, too expensive, and I wasn't quite loving the design (although way better than the R55). Well, a year passed and I absolutely love it. 3 months later and a bit shy of 10.000 miles, I've noted a few things.

Instead of talking about how great it is (because everybody knows it), I'm talking about the flaws, things, and quirks that annoy me. Some of them might cross to the F56.

- The auto light feature: The '0' setting apparently replaced the 'A', although I've seen the two variations. It works fine, but the problem is that you can't switch on the fog lights when you're on the '0' setting. You have to turn the knob to the dipped lights and then turn the fog lights. Another problem is that if you're lacking the 'A' setting, the car won't turn on the headlights when you unlock the car.
- The radio only shuts down when you switch it off manually or lock the car. I arrive, I park the car, I turn it off. Why would the people on the street should have to listen to my radio when I open the door to get out?
Maybe these two can be solved with an updated software.

Now the small stuff:
The LED beams are good, but not as good as the bi-xenon on the R56s. Water gets too easily inside the borders of the rear lights. Here's hoping there'll be no infiltrations.
You hear every piece of gravel that hits under the wheel arches. And I'm constantly removing little stones from the air vents and front plastics that get on there.
Don't really like the spike on the revs when you shift down. I know it's supposed to be a feature to 'protect the clutch and engine', but it feels weird.
The black plastic that covers the A pillars is kind of loose. They feel like they should have some kind of rubber connecting the two of them, over the front windshield. That may be why there's so much wind noise on the road.

Inside:
The AC middle wheel covers up the lights on the air circulation button on the clubman. You can't see all the buttons from the driver's point of view. And I'm not that tall.
Why did they exchange the radio/cruise control commands from one side to another? Not only that, they also exchanged volume with search!
Rear view camera stays for way too long after you use it.
The onboard computer is good. The SERVICE section on the R56 was pretty good, as you could see almost everything you had to service, with the time and mileage left. Now they left off the brakes and some fluids. Minor thing, but should be there.

So sorry for the rant, but as a designer I happen to have a keen eye for these types of things! Still love my chubby though, wouldn't go back to the hatchback!

What do you thing about it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't see the problem with the radio. You pull up. Turn the engine off. The radio stays on. You might want to stay in the car and continue listening. If you don't just take you foot of the clutch or brake if it's an auto while you still have a finger on the start/stop toggle and the radio will switch off.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I don't see the problem with the radio. You pull up. Turn the engine off. The radio stays on. You might want to stay in the car and continue listening. If you don't just take you foot of the clutch or brake if it's an auto while you still have a finger on the start/stop toggle and the radio will switch off.
Agree, turning the radio off isn't a problem whatsoever. Once the engine is off & my foot is off the clutch I simply press the start/stop toggle and it shuts of. Then open the door & get out! Is it easier than the old days of simply turning a knob or turning off the engine with a key & the radio shuts off?...no! But, it's really not an issue compared to other modern cars.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
The radio thing is the same on all the F series as far as I am aware. I usually pull up, get out and lock it. That switches off the radio & the lights (I drive with headlights on all the time).

I'll have to get used to the change of location for the stuff on the stalks, but that won't take long. I'm a bit concerned about the lights, but then I never have the lights on auto anyway (unless I want auto high beam, which I haven't opted for on the Clubby).

Just 4 more sleeps and I pick it up.......

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Mmm, we have a roadster s so heregoes.

Radio press the ignition Switch once engine goes off press it again radio goes off end of neighbour sharing issue SORTED!

Why would you want fogs on but not headlights? Dangerous and people who leave their fogs on in normal driving drive me nuts!

I reckon theres not much to choose betwen leds and xenons but onbalance i prefer the leds.

Rev matching is what the spikes are sounds great and makes changes so smooth i love it. Proper sports car!

Not noticed the stone thing yet.

You sokn get used to the swapped cruise. Why not if it harmonises across bmw? And sesrch is now up and down the designer in me sees this as sensible and in line with how the files appear on the sceeen.

Agree totally some of the switch lights are now hidden. Grrr that annoys me! For my height it is the heated rear window light.

Likewise yes re missing things as far as i can see it's the brake pad wear count down is missing. Thats annoying and as you say seems a retrograde step! Hey ho loving this car!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and the slow horn.
Agree!

The dealer told me that the newer ones already turn off the radio when you turn off the engine, apparently. I'm actually more bothered with the auto lights feature.

I actually forgot one more thing. My boot doors usually get stuck and need a little nudge to open. Particularly the left one. Dealer says "every clubman is like that" but I'm not really buying it. Do yours open without a hitch, even when parked on an inclined plane? My guess is that the elevators might need replacement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Radio press the ignition Switch once engine goes off press it again radio goes off end of neighbour sharing issue SORTED!
Will do!

Why would you want fogs on but not headlights? Dangerous and people who leave their fogs on in normal driving drive me nuts!
What I was saying is that I drive on '0', which apparently is the same as 'A'. Thing is, if you eventually need the fog lights, if you turn them on, nothing happens. You need to take the knob out of 'auto', put it on the dipped beams, and then the fogs turn on! The hatchback is different, i think.

Rev matching is what the spikes are sounds great and makes changes so smooth i love it. Proper sports car!
Unless you have a diesel like me :D

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I test drove the Clubby about a month ago funny how you do not pay attention to those details till you own the car since most test drives are too short. I think for me the E Parking Brake is the biggest turn off on the Clubby.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Got you re the lights. Dont take the rubbish from the dealer our doors pop open as if by magic no stcking no issue! The strut mustbe weak! Aha diesel sorry.the petrols are super smooth.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
I thought i would hate the electric hand brake too ever but its advantages are great. Frees up a huge are a for a lovely arm rest and storage space. I actually dont mind it at all!

·
Registered
152 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I test drove the Clubby about a month ago funny how you do not pay attention to those details till you own the car since most test drives are too short. I think for me the E Parking Brake is the biggest turn off on the Clubby.
That, and being a bit nitpicky :DI kinda like the e-parking break, like Jeremy said, frees up a lot of space, no armrest/idrive problems... and makes that cool robotic sound :nerd:

Got hrou re the lights. Dont take the rubbish from thedealer our doors pop open as if by magic no stcking no issue! The strut mustbe weak! Aha diesel sorry.the petrols are super smooth.
Yeah I will. Steering is swerving a bit to the right too, so time to call the shop and make use of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The most recent curtesy car I had has had the radio thing updated, everything shuts off when you open the door now. I don't particularly mind having the music on as I get out, I just walk away and lock the car and it goes off.

I did notice the weird light switch on a curtesy clubman I had - posted a thread about it and queried it with the service advisor but she couldn't tell me why they'd changed it. Likewise, on my most recent curtesy F56 this had the standard 'A', '0' 'Side Lights' and 'Dipped Beam' switchgear. So I feel like this is unique to the Clubman, if not the new Countryman too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did notice the weird light switch on a curtesy clubman I had - posted a thread about it and queried it with the service advisor but she couldn't tell me why they'd changed it. Likewise, on my most recent curtesy F56 this had the standard 'A', '0' 'Side Lights' and 'Dipped Beam' switchgear. So I feel like this is unique to the Clubman, if not the new Countryman too.

Dealer told me the same thing. It's a weird feature as you can't have the lights turn on when you unlock the car. Especially when the rear led lights are really good looking!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Arrggghhh!!!

I know have 6 door handles to clean when I wash the car, you know, the hollowed out bit of the door that seems to trap all of the dirt.....

Reversing camera, what a stupid place to put it, it must be 8 inches lower than on my F56 and it takes about 5 minutes driving in this weather to render it fully useless.

Those aerodynamic bits behind the front wheel arches are going to be a real pain to keep clean.....

But, I love the space...

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Share your pain re handles-esp the rear ones-pain! Likewise the plastic arch of the rear door inners seems sot be a real mud trap that i have to clean carefully, and as you say the little slits in the front bumper and side wings are hard work. OH and also the shut lines of the rear barn doors-they collect it too! DOn't care-love it!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The alleged size of the fuel tank, 48l, I filled mine 4 times now, 48l, 43l, 50l, and 49l...with reserve of 18 odd miles showing...whats goin' on here???

My old car used to squawk fuel low, and then I found it had 2 gallons as a reserve, the Mini seems more...on the edge!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.