Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK i may be very pro mini we love them we've had 4 so far and none have disappointed. The hk hifi in the f series seems to get a bit of flack and i really dont know why.

Out of all the cars i've had it is musically miles ahead of any.

Here is how mine is set. Sinnce it has dsp and a centre twin speaker in the dash;

Fader set central, balance central(the only car I've ever had to let me do this), treble 3/4, bass one notch under.

Lets get this straight mine does not lack punch,spotify wav files on the hard drive from cds dab radio any source just rocks.the higher the sample rate the better but std wav files sound great.

At these settings the bass at3/4 vol makes my ears hurt and the under seat bass or woofer well they tremble my bits!(sorry) from outside doors shut sound like a kid in a corsa with a backward facing cap.ie mobile disco. Try simply red moneys too tight, acdc highway to **** or she rocked me all night, or madonnas hung up.

What i think people see as a lack of punch maybe due to a visual error by the programmers in that the visual volume level does need to go well beyond half way for real welly but after this point a small increase means big volumes(speed sensitive sound off) So that ive never needed max. This did at first surprise me but turn it up ignore the meter as youll never run out and enjoy it!

This super system creates a brilliant stereo image and really rocks. I have a huge hifi in the house with floor standing mission speakers and the cars nearly as good.for £600 its a bargain.

Let me say i am a bass freak and hate thin sounding systems.However i cant stand bass over detail. I need clarity. I am far more than happy with my hk system. It really does sound great. A round trip of four hours with an endless stream of 80's to 2016music via spotify including Timberlakes recent hit inspired me to write this .

For reference my mr2 mk 2 with cd changer 8 speakers and a sub with dedicated amp didnt come close. Nor did my mk 4 golf r32 with upgraded sound system -now that was a thin sound!

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your settings are v similar to mine, ive got one more notch more treble so youll have a bit more bass. I dont move too well atm else id take a picture too but literally one more click on the treble for me(maybe i ought to get my ears cleaned out. I remember a brilliant what hifi article. People spending serious cash on hifi ie a thousand on each item minimum and the best upgrade was found to be an ear syringe out!cheapest too.) You have taste you have a mini. You cannot be accused of being a chav , baseball cap or no!.��

Ps the clip is /was a brilliant idea.(and was the catalust to my post) I didnt think it would sound that good on my kindle fire but its crystal. Great demo for someone hovvering!

· Registered
148 Posts
Remember:

1. Always set up your audio to match YOUR ears based on your regular driving position. Someone else's settings are highly unlikely to be right for you even if you have *identical* interior trim, identical taste in music, identical seating position etc

2. YouTube videos of car audio reflect what a camera's microphone could "hear" which is then algorithmically compressed a couple of times then decompressed and then played back with speakers that bear little or no semblance to those in the car itself.

��

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite right but you can tell how loud it goes from the distance Brandon is from the car when recording. Clear too! Gives a very rough idea.

· Registered
68 Posts
OK i may be very pro mini we love them we've had 4 so far and none have disappointed. The hk hifi in the f series seems to get a bit of flack and i really dont know why.

Out of all the cars i've had it is musically miles ahead of any.

Here is how mine is set. Sinnce it has dsp and a centre twin speaker in the dash;

Fader set central, balance central(the only car I've ever had to let me do this), treble 3/4, bass one notch under.

Lets get this straight mine does not lack punch,spotify wav files on the hard drive from cds dab radio any source just rocks.the higher the sample rate the better but std wav files sound great.

At these settings the bass at3/4 vol makes my ears hurt and the under seat bass or woofer well they tremble my bits!(sorry) from outside doors shut sound like a kid in a corsa with a backward facing cap.ie mobile disco. Try simply red moneys too tight, acdc highway to **** or she rocked me all night, or madonnas hung up.

What i think people see as a lack of punch maybe due to a visual error by the programmers in that the visual volume level does need to go well beyond half way for real welly but after this point a small increase means big volumes(speed sensitive sound off) So that ive never needed max. This did at first surprise me but turn it up ignore the meter as youll never run out and enjoy it!

This super system creates a brilliant stereo image and really rocks. I have a huge hifi in the house with floor standing mission speakers and the cars nearly as good.for £600 its a bargain.

Let me say i am a bass freak and hate thin sounding systems.However i cant stand bass over detail. I need clarity. I am far more than happy with my hk system. It really does sound great. A round trip of four hours with an endless stream of 80's to 2016music via spotify including Timberlakes recent hit inspired me to write this .

For reference my mr2 mk 2 with cd changer 8 speakers and a sub with dedicated amp didnt come close. Nor did my mk 4 golf r32 with upgraded sound system -now that was a thin sound!
THANKS! I had bass higher then treble. Used your settings and went for a half hour drive. Music rocks!

· Registered
73 Posts
I've tried the same settings as you Jeremy, but I'm pretty convinced my under seat subs/woofers aren't doing anything. Certainly can't FEEL the bass, which I was expecting given the position of those speakers under the seats. Is there any way to check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
26 Posts
Hey, first post on this forum, I have a 14 S 2 dr with HK and all new speakers except under seat woofers.

This discussion seems to ignore the sources of audio input. I fed the system various quality USB music files and felt no joy until the volume was 80% or higher. Next up I fed it higher resolution files with Aux in and the system now has full bass and complete sound with much lower volume. No way I could even sit in the car at full blast, probably blow out the speakers.

So I hated the HK until I changed the source. Btw, wife has 16 5 dr with HK and with files on hard drive it sounds good but not great, she doesn't care however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're quite right-it has been said in other threads but as you say not in this; my wife is the same-if she can sing along to it she cares nothing about the quality. However the better the source/file quality the better the sound-this also is seems to be the same for the visual boost; am very happy having gone down from the hk system in my f56 to the vis boost in our f54-no it's not quite as good overall but it's as good as most standard systems i've had in cars or better , till i had the hk of course! Quality of ripping is IMPORTANT FOLKS if you like your music !

· Registered
436 Posts
I also ticked HK audio.
First mini with it TBH and I wouldn't live without it. Kicks ass and more then ample for driving to work!
In previous years I would need to upgrade the mini sound system with better speakers and a sub and amp and this is on par with that.
I wouldn't be without it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.