Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I installed the side scuttles, I realised there were probably a number of other small cosmetic mods I could easily do to make it "more mine".

One of the small gripes I had with our F56 Cooper S since day one related to the Cosmos black 17" rims. Why the f*** would BMW stick cheap'n'nasty pressed tin valve caps on gloss black wheels? A small detail, but they look bloody awful.

Well, Chinese manufacturing to the rescue!

For less than $4 delivered (AliExpress product page), I got a set of perfectly machined alloy valve caps in gloss black to match the wheels. Of course, use of the MINI logo is totally unauthorised but they certainly look the part. :)

The matching metal keyring/wrench which came with the caps was discarded.

Keen to see others' contributions to "the little things" thread. ;)

DJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
You might want to put a little anti-seize on the threads before it's to late. I've seen too many people have problems removing these after a period of time. Since the metal of the valve and the cap are dissimilar metals you're gonna have a problem with galvanic reaction.
They do look good though. I just use the hard rubber/plastic ones that also give a good seal in case there is a leak around the stem itself.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Funny I've always seen the metal valve caps as quality and far better than the plastic ones they now seem to come with!
Me too! I have metal valve stem caps on all my cars except my MINI which is fine because the black plastic looks better on my two-tone cup spoke wheels.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
320 Posts
similar principle, I went around my old S1 Elise the day after delivery and replaced all of the steel bolts on the undertray and where the bodywork met chassis for quality stainless steel ones on the basis within two years the mild steel ones would be seized. Took me hours, but I felt good about it afterwards. Cant beat a bit of copper grease!

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny I've always seen the metal valve caps as quality and far better than the plastic ones they now seem to come with!
You'd think so, right? Unfortunately, galvanic corrosion is a very big problem (and doubly-so if you live somewhere with lots of salt) and you have to be cautious with metal valve caps. I learned this the hard way with one of my motorcycles.

DJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.