1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Yes seem to be selling like hotcakes and secondhand values are fairly high too-and he keeps on developing them-the plaid versons do 0-60 in 2.2 seconds GULP! Think the rest of the world are doing catch up tbh but our Mini EV for us is perfect and seems like great value compared to many evs. As long as you can live with the range.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am really not so sure. I think where Tesla will excel is in building battery technology and designing software. Just one look at their build quality and what the Consumer Association (Which?) says about their build and reliability was enough to steer me away and I was looking. One of my best friends was desperate to buy a Model 3 and thankfully I persuaded him not to. The car was too big anyway, and he and his wife are enjoying the tech and build of a Honda E. I nearly bought one myself but preferred the Mini once I looked closely. The Mini isn't that great for two rear child seats!

·
Registered
665 Posts
From most of the things I have read it seems the fact Tesla have a reliable and standard charging infrastructure as well as the cars is what puts them ahead of the game as much as anything else.

As with most things in the automotive world it seems only Government legislation forces change. Let's face it electric cars are not new and if all manufacturers had been putting as much R and D into them for the last 50 years as Tesla have for their short time in existence the story might be different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes seem to be selling like hotcakes and secondhand values are fairly high too-and he keeps on developing them-the plaid versons do 0-60 in 2.2 seconds GULP! Think the rest of the world are doing catch up tbh but our Mini EV for us is perfect and seems like great value compared to many evs. As long as you can live with the range.
Echo what Jeremy days, Tesla / Musk keep pushing boundaries so good on them as far as I’m concerned. We’ve got friends who’ve bought Tesla’s & they are unbelievably quick but ours was (for once!) a lifestyle choice. Fantastic little car tbh, wife loves it so all good...🚙⚡⚡😉👍🏻

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think what you have to remember is Tesla have never made a petrol or diesel car so all of their technology has always been 100% electric, unlike all other manufacturers who have had to change the way they now build cars and are a few years behind Tesla.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tesla are doing a good job of pushing the industry in a better direction, forcing manufacturers to bring products to market which they were capable of making decades ago yet chose not to.
I was living in the US when GM crushed the EV1 project (literally), a sad day.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
113 Posts
Tesla seems to have been quite clever about how they market and sell their cars. Yes, the quality is not 100% but we all still talk about them and if you want one, as far as I know, you can only order online or through a leasing company. The single screen in the middle seems a bit weird but then people I know who drive them have no issues with it and some manufacturers are now starting to copy it. Plus they have been known to upgrade the cars overnight and add another 10 miles of range or a new feature through the software!!
At the moment the vehicles are at the higher end of the market but I suspect that as other manufacturers start to switch to building more EVs Elon will upset the apple cart with a cheaper, smaller vehicle that will sell in large numbers.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Apparently build quality varies but over three years they have proved very reliable. It's things like paint quality issues on some are which if you trawl the net musk admits is due to trying to speed up production to meet demand. He claims its sorted but sounds like there was a 'bad patch' as they ramped up production. He has not made cars so suffers a bit of a lack of production line experience apparently.

Reactions: Stuts11

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jeremy, I can assure you that over three years reliability has not been very good.

"A disappointing 40% of Tesla owners with a car aged less than three years old had to get something repaired by a professional in the year before our reliability survey. That’s nearly double the average fault rate for cars this young (23%), and means the electric brand is level pegging with Land Rover, the long-running veteran of awful reliability."

Read more: Should I buy a Tesla? - Which?

Sorry that link is behind a paywall but you get the gist!

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
That's sad-he needs to make some sig improvments then! Not that it bothers me-can't afford one and am v happy with our Mini EV and the combo of cars we have! Am sure I read a jd power thing that said different but it isn't surprising given the infancy of the company and the rapid development, plus the crazy amount of kit on the things-the article I read even mentioned not waiting for paint to dry long enough! GULP!!!!!

Reactions: hudson01

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jeremy, I can assure you that over three years reliability has not been very good.

"A disappointing 40% of Tesla owners with a car aged less than three years old had to get something repaired by a professional in the year before our reliability survey. That’s nearly double the average fault rate for cars this young (23%), and means the electric brand is level pegging with Land Rover, the long-running veteran of awful reliability."

Read more: Should I buy a Tesla? - Which?

Sorry that link is behind a paywall but you get the gist!
So they are not very reliable, build quality is not great and the Model S doesn't even have any any door pockets! The best thing about them is probably the battery tech and the chargers and there's not even one of them within 30 miles of me! Did I mention the great big iPad? Don't get me started!

·
Registered
361 Posts
So they are not very reliable, build quality is not great and the Model S doesn't even have any any door pockets! The best thing about them is probably the battery tech and the chargers and there's not even one of them within 30 miles of me! Did I mention the great big iPad? Don't get me started!
I'd recommend you don't buy one then 😂

...but it doesn't matter, early mobile phones were quite crap too!

Plenty of beta testers out there buying anything with wheels and a battery pack. By the time I'm ready to buy an EV I'm sure they'll be a lot better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd recommend you don't buy one then 😂

...but it doesn't matter, early mobile phones were quite crap too!

Plenty of beta testers out there buying anything with wheels and a battery pack. By the time I'm ready to buy an EV I'm sure they'll be a lot better.
Yes things will be a lot different in 5 years when battery technology should have really taken off.
At least it's going to be a bit quieter until then when they hike fuel duty to persuade us to change from ICE cars and get in the queues to charge away from home!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As an owner of a Model Y an R53 and F56 Mini I would say the reliability of the Tesla for us has been spot on. But then we generally do not have issues with our vehicles as the mileages are low, time will tell with the Tesla. We have had Audi Q7s (which is what we came from) with quality issues as well so it’s not just a “Tesla thing”.
I can say for sure it is far more reliable than the R53 when it was purchased new.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
I have to say I've met many more happy Tesla owners than disgruntled ones. The pad chips seems a big issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Which? survey is probably the only data on reliability I would trust worldwide. It is an independent organisation which collects data by surveying its own members and conducting independent tests. If they say that a Tesla is a "don't buy" I wouldn't buy one. At the moment they haven't gone that far. The Mini Electric is a best buy car.

In terms of scoring the list reads Kia Soul, Kia ENero, Hyundai Kona, Mercedes EQC, Audi ETron, Mini Electric, VW ID3

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Am doing my own research!!!!:pSo far on speaking to tesla drivers model s lots of little faults more niggles, model 3, 1year in, perfect.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Which? survey is probably the only data on reliability I would trust
I would always check what tests Which? are actually performing and if they match how you will use a product.

Whilst their surveys are subscriber led (about 700,000 people) the way they test products can be very specific and manufacturers can tailor products to be good at passing Which? testing.

The only reason I say this is when I used to sell certain large electrical products they would claim certain facts on noise levels that did not match the product energy labels. It was only when I checked what test Which? performed that I found out why.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts