Mini Cooper Forum banner

181 - 200 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
247 Posts
I checked mine and everyone else has commented no sideways movement at any point. Does it mechanically do anything on an ICE mini or is it electronic?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
I've just spoken to the dealer. He's had a word with the service guys and tried various electrics on the forecourt, and none of them do it. He's also watched the video so he can see the "issue".

The only thing he could think is that it's a mis-build. He said it doesn't happen often but he has seen mis-builds before.

they're going to get back to me tomorrow and we'll decide where to go from there, but if it is a mis-build then my feeling is that I should probably return it.

On a somewhat bitter sweet note, I've just had a call from BP and they can fit my charger in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
247 Posts
they're going to get back to me tomorrow and we'll decide where to go from there, but if it is a mis-build then my feeling is that I should probably return it.
That would be a real shame if you had to return it. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to sort these issues out as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
That would be a real shame if you had to return it. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to sort these issues out as quickly as possible.
It would but I'm not sure I want them to start pulling the shifter out and replacing it and, whilst it'll be a talking point, I don't really like the idea of having the only MINI electric with a sport auto box. :D

I've always been the person who gets the faulty product no matter how far I dig back into the shelf. Sometimes my OCD finds faults that are imperceptible to others and I need to talk myself off the ledge, but this clearly isn't one of those times. :)

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
247 Posts
It would but I'm not sure I want them to start pulling the shifter out and replacing it and, whilst it'll be a talking point, I don't really like the idea of having the only MINI electric with a sport auto box. :D

I've always been the person who gets the faulty product no matter how far I dig back into the shelf. Sometimes my OCD finds faults that are imperceptible to others and I need to talk myself off the ledge, but this clearly isn't one of those times. :)
I know what you mean. It’s a big investment and it should be right first time and if it isn’t it doesn’t have the same feel.

I do think that the onus should be on mini here though for some serious service recovery, whatever work is required.

·
Registered
376 Posts

I'm with you all the way, this is exactly the sort of thing that usually happens to me! They must have a few more available that they could change it for you?
On a brighter note at least the charger is on the way (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I forgot to mention...I also got this message earlier when as I was reversing out of a parking spot. I didn't think to get a photo at the time but this was the message:

It also showed a shorter message on the digital dash which cleared within seconds.

Anything to worry about?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I forgot to mention...I also got this message earlier when as I was reversing out of a parking spot. I didn't think to get a photo at the time but this was the message:

View attachment 73430
It also showed a shorter message on the digital dash which cleared within seconds.

Anything to worry about?
I've not come across that one in the last 8 weeks. There is a post on the forum about this message but no conclusions have been posted.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
I've not come across that one in the last 8 weeks. There is a post on the forum about this message but no conclusions have been posted.
Thanks mate...I think I spotted that one. I found more BMW related threads than MINI......some say this message can flash up from time to time but it's no cause for concern......others have this and similar messages appearing more often and it's really difficult to track down the cause.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Sorry for you-all very odd-re the mis build especially-before you write it off it is simply a switch-nothing much mechanical going on I don't think so it'll be simple!

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Sorry for you-all very odd-re the mis build especially-before you write it off it is simply a switch-nothing much mechanical going on I don't think so it'll be simple!
Thanks mate...I appreciate that......and t's good to know it's basically just a switch.

The dealer's sending a driver up in the next couple of hours to pick it up and drop off another electric courtesy car. They're certain it's not really affecting the operation of the car but they appreciate that it shouldn't be like that and want to get a technical enquiry into MINI.

Theories at the moment are:

1. They used a different part in the very early builds.
2. The electric uses the sport auto shifter but it's supposed to have something to prevent it pushing sideways and that's broken.
3. They simply installed the wrong part at the factory.

As for the message, they say it's nothing to worry about. Apparently the electric has a more complex stabilisation system and it may need to initialise from time to time. They did however tell me it's able to kill power to individual wheels too (whereas the petrol kills power to both) though and I don't think that's 100% accurate......it's only got one motor after all.

I'll keep you all updated. :)

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
247 Posts
Positive that the dealer is taking action quickly and leaving you with another electric.

Hopefully they’ll get to the bottom of the problem 🤞 and at least you have a like vehicle to drive around in while they sort it all out.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Yes sounds like your dealer is on it and I'd agree with the list of things with the gear shift. Be interesting to hear what Mini say-entirely feasible it was an early model and hence adoption-less likely to be a mistake given the computerisation at plant Oxford but could be! Can;t imagine the front wheel power is killed separately but braked as part of traction control-yes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks mate...I appreciate that......and t's good to know it's basically just a switch.

The dealer's sending a driver up in the next couple of hours to pick it up and drop off another electric courtesy car. They're certain it's not really affecting the operation of the car but they appreciate that it shouldn't be like that and want to get a technical enquiry into MINI.

Theories at the moment are:

1. They used a different part in the very early builds.
2. The electric uses the sport auto shifter but it's supposed to have something to prevent it pushing sideways and that's broken.
3. They simply installed the wrong part at the factory.

As for the message, they say it's nothing to worry about. Apparently the electric has a more complex stabilisation system and it may need to initialise from time to time. They did however tell me it's able to kill power to individual wheels too (whereas the petrol kills power to both) though and I don't think that's 100% accurate......it's only got one motor after all.

I'll keep you all updated. :)
Result! Good to know that they are on it and taking some action (y)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
The plot thickens!

I thought the artificial e-drive noise must've been really subtle as I could barely hear it on mine. As soon as I got in the courtesy car I could hear it loud and clear. It looks like, for some reason, mine isn't generating the noise. They've checked the options list for the car just in case it wasn't on the very early builds and it's showing that it is on the spec.

They're going to look into it whilst it's in. My guess is I'll need to push back my charger install next Tuesday (I said 2 weeks earlier but it was only 1) as I don't want a charger installed until I know where I am with the car. The annoying thing is it'll probably be 4-6 weeks if o put it back according to the installer.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
I forgot to say...they've given me a level 3 to run around in.

I've also just noticed after looking at this one that mine doesn't have the "2" badge on the boot. Not bothered at all mind...just thought It was strange.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
I've just had a crazy thought......this could all be down to software.

The shifter won't let me move it across in park so it obviously has the ability to lockout the sideways movement. Maybe the software in the electric is supposed to just lock it out at all times.

As for the noise......it's been spec'd to have it so maybe it just needs to be enabled.

181 - 200 of 261 Posts