Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's not Nogales, but Tucson is pretty far south in the southwest. Thinking that in the future I'll post notes on various scenic and otherwise fun drives in AZ and parts of New Mexico.

And on that note I'll mention the drive up Kitt Peak. Besides being known for its collection of world class celestial observatories, the road up the peak rates an 8.5 on the MINI Moto-fun-O-meter. Long sweepers and seat clenching decreasing radius turns make for an occasionally focused experience. But it's not all point-and-shoot, there are a number of decent straights with amazing 50 mile vista to enjoy also.

The 12 mile (19.3km) road to the top starts at state highway AZ-86, approximately 40 miles (64.4km) west from downtown Tucson at an elevation of 3241 feet (988 meters) and rises 3616 feet (1102 meters) to an elevation of 6857 feet (2090 meters). Mind you, it's no Pikes Peak, but when it's 105f (45.5c) on the valley floor it can be as much as 15 degrees (f) cooler up top. And if you're a year 'rounder like me, that's down right chilly for a summer temp.

There are plenty of places to picnic up top, and there are tours and various programs and events throughout the year as well. Then, after a visit and box lunch, you get to relive all those exhilarating turns and straights once again, but from the other direction and a different angle of attack. And depending on the time of year, you may well have the road all to yourself.

Happy Motoring!

·
Super Moderator
6,469 Posts
So jealous, might have to do the same for uk roads, and make sure you appreciate what you have( mind you there is the odd good route still left)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I like the old 93/95 run to Las Vegas. Take I 10 West to Quartzside over to Parker up to Needles hit I 40 West to the turn off back on the old 93/95 plenty of straights and turns.
If you take that Road at Night watch out for the Critters and Burros. That Road is even fun with 18 Wheels I take it at least 3x a month in my Semi. See you can have fun with more than 4 Wheels.>:D:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll have to try Kitt Peak...never been up there. Mt. Lemon has some fun curves, too, and 83 south to Sonoita is also fun. Farther south, they are either mostly straight, or dirt (rocks!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts