Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came about 2 hours ago.:) Install was straight forward took me about 30 minutes or so. The instructions have been easy to understand and it was a breeze removing the old air filter and the lid.

I removed the OEM lower housing and fitted the frame of the VIP back to the lower box and installed it as one piece back into the car (that way you do not have to fiddle try to get the screws back into the holes) put the cover on installed the air flow sensor and I was done.

I do like the way it looks (clean look under the hood) took Karl for a test drive around the block did not have any codes or warning lights coming on.:)

As far as sound it does not have the mean sound like the intake was on my Abarth (still sounds like a BMW:D:D)

Pick up is much better (low Rpm,s and fly,s to 6000 Rpm,s in no time) it seems to me the car breezes better so that is an improvement right there.

Increase in HP? Most likely not (VIP makes no claims on increase in HP)

The Chrome Pipe looks very nice and the hole to install the Air Flow Sensor is perfect has no gaps there.

As far as the price I paid $ 275.00 plus tax got free shipping and since I sold some old Mercedes Parts on Ebay I look at it that the box was free.

Honestly I think if I would have to open my wallet I would have gone with the K&N Filter that fits right into the OEM Housing.

$199.00 would be a great price point Imho but than I do not know what it costs to make VIP Box and how much works goes into it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan here you go sorry the engine compartment is dirty did not have a moment to bring the tooth brush out and give it a spit and shine.:D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nice one buddy, looks good.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Thanks, and dirt is a way of life for a lot of minis. Ours is dirty more than it is clean. If it stays clean most of the time you are not driving it enough! That is a sharp looking installation and I assume it has as sweet sound as well?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan, it sounds better than with the stock air filter but honestly I expected a little more of a deeper noise when you rev it up. No complains I am passed my loud noise phase anyway ......I leave that one for them young once half my age.. :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Heck, I am so deaf I can barely hear loud noises! Shot skeet, we called it trapshooting when I was a kid, beginning at 6 and didn't quit until a few years ago, but the damage was done. No one even knew what ear protection was other than a hunting cap with ear flaps! Go karts, motorcycles, etc. all took their toll on my ears.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
@Evlkarl you'll appreciate not getting the k&n or another "filter on a stick"when the temp rises. I like my VIP airbox. IAT's are pretty stable. The 2.0ltr motor makes a little more BOV noise

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peter, thanks for the feedback. :) Engine Temp even did not cross my mind. Duh!!! stupid me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts