Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The worst car I have ever owned in my twenty plus years of driving.

I purchased a brand new factory ordered Deep Blue F56 Cooper with a high specification. I has been a R56 Cooper owner for six years and loved the wee car.

The car arrived in April and I drove it home only realising when I parked at the house what a complete mess the Paint was in, it was swirl city. It also came with a chip at the bonnet edge right down to the metal like a ring had caught it shutting it. But I had taken the car on a run and the dealer said they had checked it. They did try and clear up the swirls on the passenger side that were honestly when the sun hit the car atrocious.

This was just the start of my problems. Within a week I noticed a bit of material sticking out the dash like Velcro at the air vent. The dealer said they could just push it back a bit but it still was about three inches showing. This was seen to as I was in as there was a bad and I mean bad rattle from the roof console were the alarm and lights are. It was like someone had put marbles in there. Every slight bump bang it would rattle. Thy striped it down and found the inside was not fitted together and parts were loose. Great I thought driving away finally in peace.

Within a few weeks more the dash started to rattle at the top vent and some place behind passenger side. The work shop manager who I took out actually said “Yeah that’s not great I can actually pick up three rattle” So the dash came out the bonus being the material could be hidden as it should from day one. Got the car back to be told that the top vent was possibly due to the top part of the dash being seated tight and the Fuse box was loose behind the Glovebox. Ok drove the car away.

Another week and a holiday and the passenger seatbelt to what we described at were the belt comes out the top trim rattled most of the time along with the adjustment bar at the front of the passenger seat. It became almost constant with the seatbelt and occasional with the seat ( If I applied finger pressure on the seat bar it stopped) . Again this was looked at. Drove away and it seemed fine but within days the seat belt rattle was back. The workshop manager that I’ve got to know well felt it was at the door. So the Door trim and side trim at the seatbelt removed. Got the car back and it is a lot better but still there. They also greased something ( it’s in the notes) that was a recall.

I decided I was getting sick of chasing rattles up with them taking the car to bits as when it came back the passenger window make a strange movement it certainly did not used to do when closing the door almost as if it bounces back off the rubber door seal before sliding up to close. Playing music loud gets me through when driving and at this stage decided I really need to get a decent built car early next year.

I live in Scotland so had the car on a holiday up the highlands and to get to the lodge the road has no lights and its pitch black highland road. While pulling away during the day I got a lights failure warning, jumped out and checked the lights and they seemed fine. Got this warning all day as I was in and out the car when I started the Car. Drove at night into the local town for dinner still with this failure warning and crossed my fingers, but the lights seemed fine and safe to drive. Came out late on and for the first time no warning. So back home took it in only to be told a new instrument panel ( The rev counter, Speedo etc) The car was in for two weeks while they waited as were also having another look at that rattle at the seatbelt and only found out a few days after receiving the car in that they had to wait for the display. I actually had an F56 loaner that I really enjoyed as it was actually build even if it was only a MINI One. The previous time I had a huge BMW 520 Sport for tha week that was like driving your living room sofa so glad this time I got a MINI at least.

So last week I got notified of a recall or Campaign as they call it with regard to the spare wheel mount – seemingly it can fall down due to a failure. So booked it in the car was returned. Now for the past few weeks I have had to watch opening and closing the drivers door as the plastic insert were a key hole or button would be has been falling off. I pull away looking in my mirror as it seems to jump off when the door closes although the past times I’ve heard it hit the ground when if fallen off when opening. Embarrassed enough with the car before having a stranger in a car park today point out something silver has just dropped off your car. Went in and I try not to be raging as my beef is with MINI not the dealer that has been sympathetic and tried its best to fix problems. Seeming this is not their first encounter with this problem on the F56 and the only fix is a new door handle as they have tried swapping the inserts out off another car. So car booked in again next week when the part arrives.

You know what I’ve groan to like the overall look from being a bit undecided, I think some of the tech in the car like the media screen and sport mode are fantastic. Look wise the interior is fantastic. The seats great and look really nice along with the new V3 Cooper Engine that is the cars best attribute.

But all these problems along with a petrol Gauge question I put on another post in here have totally spoiled the car. I don’t look back like I did with my R56 when I leave it and I get into it thinking what going to annoy me today. I had my R56 Cooper from only six months old with 1k on it and not once did I go out to get in it and think anything other than brilliant an excuse to drive it.

It’s a bad sign when after six months I’m in at an local Audi dealership looking for a replacement. I should have listened to friends saying don’t by a car in its first year, or as MINI replied when I nicely pointed out my issues “That’s what our warranty is for” :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, every new model needs a guinea pig. But I'm sorry to hear that you've been given such a terribly put together vehicle... I dont know how it works but after so many issues can't you be given a new one?

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
I totally agree thunder 7. Sav I think you have been Very very patient and after all that has happened you ought to reject the car. Www.honestjohn.co.uk has a bit as bout it. You've been very patient.good luck.Hope it can be sorted PROPERLY for you . I have to say the paint issue sadly is likely to be the dealer .careless dpi cleaning.. I can vouch for them leaving the factory near perfect. For a short term fix I put a tiny blob of clear silicon/bathroom type sealant on my lock cover. Sorted and it will still come off easily!.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried so hard to like this car but it just feels like just when I think that’s better or fixed it turns around and kicks you in the Nut’s. I can see through all the crap this would be a great car with its engine and tech but its been let down either by bits that just don’t fix right or bits that I feel have not been put in well. Its not a cheap Car but the quality on the build comes under shocking. I used to just get in my last MINI and drive with a wee smile. It’s a sad day when you have a new car on the drive and actually prefer to take the older other car just for a bit of peace.

Lost total confidence in it and just awaiting what next. Friends JCW blew up after a few weeks from new and he just got it picked up and told them nah its lost power last week in limp mode and now came to a shuddering halt. New car was ordered for him and he was given a car to run about in. But that was needing a new engine and would class as a major mechanical fault. With my one its just been a ever growing list of annoying faults that can be brushed off with an attempted fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeremy After so many months I just cant see them taking the car back.

Just a pity when you have a list of problems MINI dont take an interest. After all there is a record on the System of the all the work carried out on my car and anyone checking it would be shocked and it should flag up as unacceptable.

Less of a MINI adventure more of a MINI nightmare! I just hope the drivers door handle replacement does not involve the inside being pulled off.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Sav112, if you're in the uk you have to let them try to fix it. So you've gone through the process given en the dealer fair chance and now is the time to reject it.check online. As kenl says. Go for it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sav112 - I agree with Jeremy and Kenl that you're within your rights to reject the car (though I'm amazed a vehicle with so many obvious flaws made it through Mini's quality control in the first place). I just took a look at the Honest John link provided by JB and it cites examples of people rejecting goods after 6 months. The full link is here:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/
Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't let this damper your like for the product... it could have just been a dud! If you do get to reject it and you get your money back.. you'll be stuck finding an alternative that you will not be as happy with. You'll be back to mini before long I'm afraid :)

But in all honesty I hope you can resolve this asap, this is a terrible story! No one should be unhappy with their mini!

·
Registered
360 Posts
You've been really really unlucky and you should push for a replacement car. Thankfully I don't think that it's representative of what has come off the production line though.

I took delivery of my F56 MCS back in April too. I've previously owned an R50 MC and an R56 MCS, both from new. My F56, with 13,000 miles on the clock, hasn't skipped a heartbeat and is by far the most reliable and well built MINI I've ever owned.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Worst car I ever owned was a Honda Civic. As bad as my Honda was, my brother's wife had a Toyota Corolla that was even worse. Every brand has bad apples.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts