Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i used to have a JCW 3dr hatch, and loved it. One of the best cars I’ve owned, especially after swapping the runflats for regular tyres.

i am interested in buying a JCW Clubman (the 306hp version) and would be interested in owner feedback.

thanks!

· Super Moderator
8,907 Posts
The 228 bhp could an certain 17"s but not sure about the 300bhp version. Dealers will know. Ours were 19" runflats. I reckon non rfts would've been fine

· Registered
165 Posts
Hey, I can write on this

My progression has been

• F56 Cooper (1.5T) - Loved it, really fun car to drive. Wanted more. Normal suspension, 17 inch wheels. Comfy.
  • F56 JCW (LCI1) - This was more. Loved it, very much. Adaptive suspension, 18 inch wheels. Kinda comfy.
  • F54 JCW (LCI - 306hp) - One year later, still absolutely love it. Best car I've had. Sport suspension, 19 inch wheels. More comfy

Let me explain. To me, sure it isn't small anymore (what is?) but the clubman to me strikes the right balance. You get a car smaller than most, but still big enough (I can take it to Ikea and not have to worry to much if things will fit or if I'll need to be super creative in getting stuff in the car) that it can be the only car. It's plenty fast, drives like a Mini and has those quirky looks that just puts a smile on your face. It can be sensible and be reasonable with the fuel. Can be. It's more comfortable that the F56 by nature of the longer wheelbase. I have the 19inch wheels and sports suspension and I even my missus doesn't find it uncomfortable (mind you, we are in NL. Better roads here). Back seats are also usable, as opposed to medieval torture devices in the F56. Good for trips with friends.

For me, it's my perfect car, ticks every box. I love it, wife loves it, does everything we need, what I want. Super happy.

And yeah, if you're worried about ride quality, go 18 inch wheels and adaptive suspension. Then it'll be far more comfy than the F56 JCW with adaptive suspension even.

· Registered
2019 A94 F56 JCW AUTO
155 Posts
Hey, I can write on this

My progression has been

• F56 Cooper (1.5T) - Loved it, really fun car to drive. Wanted more. Normal suspension, 17 inch wheels. Comfy.
  • F56 JCW (LCI1) - This was more. Loved it, very much. Adaptive suspension, 18 inch wheels. Kinda comfy.
  • F54 JCW (LCI - 306hp) - One year later, still absolutely love it. Best car I've had. Sport suspension, 19 inch wheels. More comfy

Let me explain. To me, sure it isn't small anymore (what is?) but the clubman to me strikes the right balance. You get a car smaller than most, but still big enough (I can take it to Ikea and not have to worry to much if things will fit or if I'll need to be super creative in getting stuff in the car) that it can be the only car. It's plenty fast, drives like a Mini and has those quirky looks that just puts a smile on your face. It can be sensible and be reasonable with the fuel. Can be. It's more comfortable that the F56 by nature of the longer wheelbase. I have the 19inch wheels and sports suspension and I even my missus doesn't find it uncomfortable (mind you, we are in NL. Better roads here). Back seats are also usable, as opposed to medieval torture devices in the F56. Good for trips with friends.

For me, it's my perfect car, ticks every box. I love it, wife loves it, does everything we need, what I want. Super happy.

And yeah, if you're worried about ride quality, go 18 inch wheels and adaptive suspension. Then it'll be far more comfy than the F56 JCW with adaptive suspension even.
Your comment wants me to get F54 JCW now!

· Registered
240 Posts
I was given a 2020 JCW Clubman as a loaner car by my MINI dealer.

Observations in the five hours I drove it

The car was bonkers fast

Things I didn't like:

I felt the car is too low to have barn doors

The car had a huge rattle from the pano roof area

I think the auto shifter is kind of wack. It's got too much shit going on, one should be able to cycle into park by just moving it forward vs. pushing a button. I guess after awhile it would grow on me.

· Registered
165 Posts
I was given a 2020 JCW Clubman as a loaner car by my MINI dealer.

Observations in the five hours I drove it

The car was bonkers fast

Things I didn't like:

I felt the car is too low to have barn doors

The car had a huge rattle from the pano roof area

I think the auto shifter is kind of wack. It's got too much shit going on, one should be able to cycle into park by just moving it forward vs. pushing a button. I guess after awhile it would grow on me.
Sunroof rattle is a thing. I just put some felt tape on the slidey thing and it's good now. Before that, just pulled it out a small bit (rather than pushed all the way back) and that also fixed it.

Height never bothered me with the barn doors, though I did smack my head a few times on the spoiler :)

Agree on the shifter, not a fan but I'm used to it now. Most of the time I don't even use park, just stop, foot on brake, turn off the car and it just goes to park itself.

· Registered
2 Posts
Have bought my 2021 Nov build JCW F54 in March this year. The car is very quick in sport mode, mine has 18" rims adaptive suspension, I dont have a sunroof, but I dont like them anyway. I saw a comment about the irritation of needing to press the button on the side to take it ou of Park, and put it into reverse or Drive. I think it is a must have safety thing. The build quality is very good, the car is quiet as well. I removed the adaptive audio sound ( The pretend engine sound ) and the warning message about using the sound before being able to use it . (Think this is only in Australia?) . Both with BimmerCode. I was thinking of turning off the auto engine stop when you stop, but the swithc on the console works OK. The NAV understands when I give it directions, Would have liked the Harmon Kardon sound but the standard is OK

· Registered
394 Posts
I had thought about one of these as my next car but in the UK the list price, without any extras, has just gone over £40,000. Apart from being very expensive it then collects an extra tax burden meaning the new owner and subsequent owners pay over £500 a year for the privilege of putting it on the road. That wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t have very high fuel tax in the UK so for now a JCW Clubman is off my menu.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agree the “envy tax” is a annoying. The one I’m looking at was over £42k when new so suffers, but I figured it’s only for another 2.5 years so all taken into account in my purchase price.

I really wanted a rebel green car so my choices were a little limited !

· Registered
2022 F60 Cooper S in Sage Green
500 Posts
Hey, I can write on this

My progression has been

Thanks for the great perspective!

Like you, I started with a base F56 (2015) and loved it. It was under-equipped with the little orange screen in the dash and almost zero options. But it was so fun to drive! I put about 90k miles on it after almost 6 years and needed to take advantage of trade-in prices and buy another Mini.

But I needed to go bigger for cargo space.

I debated between the F54 and F60 because they offered the most. The F55 was still too small.

I opted for the Countryman simply because I thought it was more comfortable, the boot had better doors, and it was cheaper. And since I got the 2.0 it isn't lacking power (compared to my F56).

Ride quality is great with 18" and adaptive suspension. I am not able to reasonably compare against the F54 because I only drive one once.

Once I got used to the ride height of the F60 (2 weeks?), it feels like I am in my original Mini but with a big touchscreen, leather, all the nice things I wanted inside that the previous lacked. Couldn't be happier (well, maybe with a JCW lol).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts