Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up my 7 week old JCW from the dealer's collision shop today after a flying object destroyed the windshield. Fortunately they did a good job and it looks factory original.

I'm not sure what the object was since it was dark, but it did a number on the windshield.

This is coming after my Focus ST was totaled this summer (replaced with the JCW) and my bike got a flat tire a month later...
Hopefully I don't have any more issues for a while.

Has anyone had luck with Safelite? Depending on who I talked to, they gave me multiple prices and seemed to be ignorant of the need to reset the rain sensor + driver assist camera, so I went with the dealer instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about Safelite. They installed all the glass on our cars. I contacted them about my last windshield on the F56 and they told me they have to order it from the Dealer since there is no after market windshield that was about 3 month ago.

·
Registered
495 Posts
First question, is this glass windshield from MINI / BMW ?
Second, I would not deal with anyone except the dealer when it comes to parts and warranty repair work.

I wouldn't let anyone other than the dealer install anything to my car.
don't forget, Mini's warranty on parts and labor is guaranteed for up to 2 years
should anything go wrong. Perhaps longer when it comes to a windshield?
Safelite on the other hand going to stand behind their product and labor just the same ?

And should you have a water leak from a poor install down the road, who's going to point fingers
at who ? If Mini did the work, they will stand behind their warranty. Sometimes these other shops
use inferior sealants that crack and dry prematurely and don't give you that factory watertight seal .

I do know for one thing, Mini / BMW Approved Body Shops warranty their work for LIFE.
This is mandated by BMW. In my opinion, I think this would apply to a window too ?
Correct me if I am wrong ?

Go to a dealer, you will NOT be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I pulled the receipt out from my last windshield replacement and it has been installed by the Penske Automotive Glass Division they do all the glass work on every car that Penske sells RR Ferrari Porsche etc etc and warranty it thru there dealers so I am feel pretty safe.

On our other cars( Toyota,s) we used Safelite and had no problems with them. I do miss the days when glass installers gave away 12 dinners /steaks/car washes to get your business.:| Hey a new windshield and something free what more can you ask for:D

But I do agree with Hotrunner on the factory parts.;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is bad luck...

I recall picking up a stone chip on the windscreen of my 1 week old previous 981 Cayman S and cursing my luck.. fortunately it was only a small chip that I learned to live with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First question, is this glass windshield from MINI / BMW ?
Second, I would not deal with anyone except the dealer when it comes to parts and warranty repair work.

Go to a dealer, you will NOT be disappointed.
I did go to the dealer, and used the collision shop they have onsite. It's all set and looks original as far as I can tell. It's definitely OEM glass.

The free roadside assistance came in handy as well as that took care of towing it from my house to the dealer - I was only about 1.5 miles from home when it happened and didn't feel comfortable driving it 20+ miles to the dealer with the windshield in that state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.