Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Er, looks like my wife's which had nearly every option! We know we could have got something else, but they are too big for her and not fast enough for me. I collected it yesterday and detailed it today. Thursday I'll take some photos outside as it's sunny here and post them. So far seems nice, 42 UK mpg on route home from UK and all seems nice. Don't like the handbrake, needs to be electronic and XL does not have same features as my X6. 6 speed auto not as smooth as 8sp BMW, but ok. HUD really nice. Car was covered in iron as I told dealer do not wash the car, good job as it would have been polished on top of the contaminants. and Auto Finesse pulled off lots that the foam and wash did not touch. Clay bar left the paint v smooth and easily polished with no problems.

· Registered
103 Posts
Er, looks like my wife's which had nearly every option! We know we could have got something else, but they are too big for her and not fast enough for me. I collected it yesterday and detailed it today. Thursday I'll take some photos outside as it's sunny here and post them. So far seems nice, 42 UK mpg on route home from UK and all seems nice. Don't like the handbrake, needs to be electronic and XL does not have same features as my X6. 6 speed auto not as smooth as 8sp BMW, but ok. HUD really nice. Car was covered in iron as I told dealer do not wash the car, good job as it would have been polished on top of the contaminants. and Auto Finesse pulled off lots that the foam and wash did not touch. Clay bar left the paint v smooth and easily polished with no problems.
A bit off topic but I'd be interested to know what iron remover you used (iron out) and what you polished it with as I'm about to do the same to mine when it arrives?

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Not meaning to sound rude but a MINI JCW isn't a BMW X6, totally different cars ...
I saw a BMW X6 ///M tonight...what a beast! I wonder what one of those babies cost....way outta my league no doubt! LOL!

· Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
It's always a good question about what to buy. If your after a better bang for your buck then there are better cars out there, if your just after the fun and happy to sacrifice quality then the mini again is not your car.

The mini is really in a class of its own. It's funny and sometimes really good to see that some people compare a Mini to a X6 or other cars that are atleast double plus the price. On the same hand is not good to read a car reviews when they compare a Mini JCW to another small car that might be faster but is just a bath tub inside or something completely different. It's not a comparison on a realistic level.

We all know the Mini represents class, fun, efficiency and even power, but is not cheap, it really is in a class of it's own that can be a good thing or not.

· Registered
386 Posts
Of course there are better bangs for the buck, but it really comes back to what you want. I'm moving on from a loaded '15 X1 ... great car ... quick, great motor and trans, reasonable room, great handling ,,, but it's not very exciting. I also have an E39 M5 ... big maintenance dollars, but no way I'll part with it.

If bang for buck is the criteria, I recommend you go to Honda or Toyota and don't look back. That's not why we buy enthusiast cars.

Reactions: Evlkarl

· Registered
174 Posts
Only reason to compare is because they have the same software and components being both owned by BMW. They could fit the 8 sp auto as per the Clubman. The XL functions could mirror BMW on-line, etc and same for the electronic handbrake.

Iron remover was Auto Finese Iron Out.

Rinse car
Wash car
Iron Out
Wash
Rinse
Clay
Wash
Rinse
Wipe down with isopropyl Alcohol
Polish - used DODO Juice
Wax - Autoglym HD
Spray convertible roof
Coat black trim with GTECH C4
Wheels waxed and tyres with Megiuers
Windows polished with Autoglym

Will put photos up sometime today - after I take them.

My X6 is the M50D - 381 BHP

· Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
It sure is a lot of money for the amount of metal you are getting but it's a fun open topped car with premium materials; the leather seats look delightful; you arent far short of a Jaguar F type at this sort of money though so i think i might stretch the budget a little for one of those; had a look round it at the weekend; very nice-50k!

· Premium Member
1,206 Posts
It sure is a lot of money for the amount of metal you are getting but it's a fun open topped car with premium materials; the leather seats look delightful; you arent far short of a Jaguar F type at this sort of money though so i think i might stretch the budget a little for one of those; had a look round it at the weekend; very nice-50k!
He was talking dollars and not GBP.....

As others have said, you can get more for your money if you look elsewhere. Personally I think a JCW ragtop looks very pricey when compared to the new Mazda MX5. They're both 2 seat sports cars (yes I know the Mini has 4 seats, but 2 of them are pointless) and both fun to drive. My preference for Mini would push me that way, but my Mrs loves the MX5.

· Registered
174 Posts
Pictures of my wife's very pricy JCW Convertible now in the Gallery..!!!

http://www.minif56.com/forum/members/35090-wing-co-albums-dutch-jcw.html

You can actually use the rear seats for grandchildren and small adults. Also the rear seats offer storage space - I mentioned yesterday that with the seats down I can get 2 large suitcases in and a number of other soft bags. We also like the MX-5, but no auto and our days of faffing with gear levers have been over far too long to go back to that in traffic.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Only reason to compare is because they have the same software and components being both owned by BMW. They could fit the 8 sp auto as per the Clubman. The XL functions could mirror BMW on-line, etc and same for the electronic handbrake.

Rinse car
Wash car
Iron Out
Wash
Rinse
Clay
Wash
Rinse
Polish - used DODO Juice
Wax - Autoglym HD
Spray convertible roof

Off topic I know but want to comment on the above wash method. I wouldn't use alcohol full strength on my car....I use 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol mixed with distilled water....great to use when prepping for polish after washing!
To each their own though...

· Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
Actually i don't think the starting price at £18k for a cooper cabrio is bad; of course you can then add masses of kit but i think off the top of my head it will be one if not the cheapest new uk cabrio with an electric roof ! And it's a super roof too.
The JCW starts at £26,600 and i'd be happy to just add leather and chilli pack making a cracking little rocket ship for less than £30,000.
Depends if this is the sort of thing you want of course, mazda is slower, etc etc

· Registered
103 Posts

Rinse car
Wash car
Iron Out
Wash
Rinse
Clay
Wash
Rinse
Polish - used DODO Juice
Wax - Autoglym HD
Spray convertible roof

Thanks Wing Co, a very useful insight into your detailing routine, did you do any machine polishing/correction? I will follow a similar one when I get my car and then seal with Gtechniq products (CSL+Exo, C4, G1, G5) hopefully to give me some time back and still have it looking good after normal weekly washing.
Your car looks very good indeed btw.

· Registered
174 Posts
No machine polishing although I would, if I could. I don't have a machine and although I could buy one I'm not that sure that I'm confident enough to use it. I did do a one day detailing course in 2010 and did the machine polishing, but you have to really know what you are doing. Thankfully because the dealer did no prep there were hardly any marks and the hand polish sort of corrected enough for a good finish, just not excellent.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
No machine polishing although I would, if I could. I don't have a machine and although I could buy one I'm not that sure that I'm confident enough to use it. I did do a one day detailing course in 2010 and did the machine polishing, but you have to really know what you are doing. Thankfully because the dealer did no prep there were hardly any marks and the hand polish sort of corrected enough for a good finish, just not excellent.
I did my detail myself (not the dealer) & I opted for hand polishing, etc. (similar to you). Great way to get to know a new car! :) I have orbital buffers, but there's nothing like hand polishing and waxing imo!...especially on a brand new car where a lot of polishing isn't necessary anyway. No swirls on my midnight black metallic "little guy"!

Reactions: Evlkarl and Wing Co
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.