Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Not bad. You need 2 buckets, one with shampoo and one with clear water to rinse. I would also use more wool mitts to wash and rinse more frequently and also more microfibre cloths and less rubbing and more just pulling the microfibre across the car. However, as your car is met grey you are quids in for not showing any swirls. Any further application to the cleaning and you are on the slippery slope towards becoming a member on Detailing World and once there you will never look at your car or treat it the the same again - avoid the site.....!!!!!

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not bad. You need 2 buckets, one with shampoo and one with clear water to rinse. I would also use more wool mitts to wash and rinse more frequently and also more microfibre cloths and less rubbing and more just pulling the microfibre across the car. However, as your car is met grey you are quids in for not showing any swirls. Any further application to the cleaning and you are on the slippery slope towards becoming a member on Detailing World and once there you will never look at your car or treat it the the same again - avoid the site.....!!!!!
Very helpful.. I actually use two buckets however that day the other bucket fell into pieces so had to use only one.

I thought every one will pick on that.. ;-(

Thanks

· Registered
2,082 Posts
I also use a blower to dry out the crooks & crannies! :) Plus, I use a filter on my clear water from the tap (which is softened water). Never use a paper towel on the paint....windows are ok I suppose, but I use microfiber mostly even on windows. Black MINI here, so I have to be extra careful.

Nice job though!

John

· Registered
2,212 Posts
Nice video :)

I use snowfoam on a dry car, find it clings longer, also 2 buckets ;)

Not sure what the wheel seal was but one I have used says don't spray on the wheel like you did as it gets on the brake disc and can put a seal over it which could, stress could, affect braking over the short term.

More microfibre towels and as said let them soak up the water, the Range were selling some that were about 3 foot by 2 foot for a fiver I think, pretty good or Costco sell a big bag of about 20 small ones for £12 I think...

I use Aqua wax before and spray over everything bar the windscreen.....

Where are you based as see your MINI came from Park Lane?

Attachments

· Registered
646 Posts
My technique isn't far off. Instead of an initial rinse though I use a degreaser to grab the nasty stuff and draw it from the paint, then a snow foam on top of that once it's had a few minutes to work.

Still in search of the perfect drying towel but the Range one sounds a good option!

I discovered G3 Supertax at the weekend, does a GREAT job on my Midnight Black!

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice video :)

I use snowfoam on a dry car, find it clings longer, also 2 buckets ;)

Not sure what the wheel seal was but one I have used says don't spray on the wheel like you did as it gets on the brake disc and can put a seal over it which could, stress could, affect braking over the short term.

More microfibre towels and as said let them soak up the water, the Range were selling some that were about 3 foot by 2 foot for a fiver I think, pretty good or Costco sell a big bag of about 20 small ones for £12 I think...

I use Aqua wax before and spray over everything bar the windscreen.....

Where are you based as see your MINI came from Park Lane?
Thanks a lot for the note. I will keep that in mind next time washing my cars. I
live in Windsor. This is my third MINI from Park Lane, I know its a little drive however they look after me...

· Registered
969 Posts
I'll start off by saying good effort on the video, I didn't know karcher had a go-pro mount, whatever next. ;) I'm sure we've all got variations around the same idea, so I won't bore you with my routine.

A couple of points:

1) Is that snowfoam, or shampoo in the bottle? If it's snowfoam apply to a dry car, they tend to work better, it will dwell longer, and you've improved workflow by cutting out that pre-rinse step already.

2) I would give wheel cleaner a miss, unless it hasn't been washed for a while - the normal shampoo at the end should suffice. Maybe couple of times a year use iron-x or similar and apply it at this stage. Also by doing that now, you'll wash off any overspray etc.

3) Start on the roof and work down from there, whether you're foaming, washing or rinsing off.

4) Use about 1/10th of the amount of shampoo, you really don't need that much.

5) 1 or 2 bucket? I use one, and am careful not to go near the bottom of the bucket with the incredisponge. If you do use 2, rinse in top portion of water so you don't agitate/pickup dirt in the process.

6) I'd recommend an incredisponge instead of a wash mitt, great bit of kit.

7) I've not used that aqua wax stuff, but try and not go over the same area more than necessary. And DONT SET THE BOTTLE DOWN ON THE ROOF:(

8) bodykit and tyres, again use any product sparingly. Since I started using more expensive products I find that comes naturally ;)

I forgot to add, in between most of those steps I have to pause, with neighbours asking if I'll do theirs next - never grows old :D

· Registered
2,212 Posts
I've done mine in the rain before going off on a MINI run or show and my neighbours thing I'm mad so don't ask me to do theirs ;)

I meant to say far to much shampoo, I think they recommend 2 capfuls and agree about using sparingly :)

I'm in Ash Vale, the other side of Camberley from you so close by :)

· Registered
160 Posts
I am also in Windsor and got my car from Park Lane. Can't work out where you are from your video but i am in Clewer. I am bordering on being obsesive about keeping on top of cleaning my black Cooper. The only other person to get his hands on my car was the professional detailer that did my car just after delivery in June 14, Sytners over in Slough know not to touch the car when it goes into them. I use a company over in Maidenhead for my supplies and they are great for advice, unsure about naming them as I do not want to break th rules.

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am also in Windsor and got my car from Park Lane. Can't work out where you are from your video but i am in Clewer. I am bordering on being obsesive about keeping on top of cleaning my black Cooper. The only other person to get his hands on my car was the professional detailer that did my car just after delivery in June 14, Sytners over in Slough know not to touch the car when it goes into them. I use a company over in Maidenhead for my supplies and they are great for advice, unsure about naming them as I do not want to break th rules.
Hi there,

So I have a neighbour here.. I am just off Datchet, I say windsor as its easy to locate on the map.

It'll be great to see you around some time or if you see me just bleep or a light flash will do. >:D

Would it be possible to pm the details of the company you are talking about.

· Registered
121 Posts
I'll start off by saying good effort on the video, I didn't know karcher had a go-pro mount, whatever next. ;) I'm sure we've all got variations around the same idea, so I won't bore you with my routine.

A couple of points:

1) Is that snowfoam, or shampoo in the bottle? If it's snowfoam apply to a dry car, they tend to work better, it will dwell longer, and you've improved workflow by cutting out that pre-rinse step already.

2) I would give wheel cleaner a miss, unless it hasn't been washed for a while - the normal shampoo at the end should suffice. Maybe couple of times a year use iron-x or similar and apply it at this stage. Also by doing that now, you'll wash off any overspray etc.

3) Start on the roof and work down from there, whether you're foaming, washing or rinsing off.

4) Use about 1/10th of the amount of shampoo, you really don't need that much.

5) 1 or 2 bucket? I use one, and am careful not to go near the bottom of the bucket with the incredisponge. If you do use 2, rinse in top portion of water so you don't agitate/pickup dirt in the process.

6) I'd recommend an incredisponge instead of a wash mitt, great bit of kit.

7) I've not used that aqua wax stuff, but try and not go over the same area more than necessary. And DONT SET THE BOTTLE DOWN ON THE ROOF:(

8) bodykit and tyres, again use any product sparingly. Since I started using more expensive products I find that comes naturally ;)

I forgot to add, in between most of those steps I have to pause, with neighbours asking if I'll do theirs next - never grows old :D

Don't get my mini for another 6 weeks but feel it's important to start off right when washing. Particularly as it'll be Midnight Black.

I'm used to just power hosing a car down washing it with normal bucket and sponge then rinsing with said power hose. Now reading what you guys are doing makes me think that what I'm doing is not the best, certainly if I want to avoid them pesky swirlies.

However, hope you can clarify:

What is the snow foam for and why do you need it if you are then going to wash it with soap anyway.

When people mention 2 Bucket I'm assuming one for washing and one for rinsing. Why not rinse with hose? Unless folk don't have one of course.

And what's better Incredisponge or pad.

Sorry for the nooby questions but want to treat it right.

· Registered
141 Posts
Don't get my mini for another 6 weeks but feel it's important to start off right when washing. Particularly as it'll be Midnight Black.

I'm used to just power hosing a car down washing it with normal bucket and sponge then rinsing with said power hose. Now reading what you guys are doing makes me think that what I'm doing is not the best, certainly if I want to avoid them pesky swirlies.

However, hope you can clarify:

What is the snow foam for and why do you need it if you are then going to wash it with soap anyway.

When people mention 2 Bucket I'm assuming one for washing and one for rinsing. Why not rinse with hose? Unless folk don't have one of course.

And what's better Incredisponge or pad.

Sorry for the nooby questions but want to treat it right.
I am not the best one to describe snowfoam, but basically it's a very foamy covering that you spray on the car and leave to sit. This softens the dirt on the paint and means less chance of swirls. I should say that you use a foam Lance that connects to a power washer

I use two lot of snowfoam, one thick one for the first coating and rinse off after 10mins or so and then a watered down coating to wash the car with the mitt, rinsing the mitt in between each half a panel in the clean water bucket with grit guard. This trick was told to me by a detailer, it means that you are not touching the car to put the shampoo on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.