Mini Cooper Forum banner

This may sound weird

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Blat7Chris 
#1 ·
but could somebody please explain why everything is so expensive on a Mini?

Like this offer from our local Mini Dealer.:eek::eek::eek:

REPLACE SPARK PLUGS*

Keep your MINI at the top of its game with a spark plug replacement every 60k.

$175.95
Includes: 4 MINI spark plugs, gapping, and installation.
Expires on 03/31/2015
Replace Spark Plugs Photo in Phoenix, AZ 85054
**Regular Price: 199.95. Does not include shop waste disposal or fees

and the original factory add ons like Mirror Caps and other Goodies are totally overprized too.

I understand the Car is designed by BMW but come on some of it is pure Highway Robbery.:laugh::laugh:

#4 ·
I don't think overpriced services are exclusive to MINI...ALL dealers overcharge for everything.

I took my wife's Mazda to the dealer for a 30k service (oil change, filter change, inspection, etc.). They wanted FIVE HUNDRED dollars! HA! For an hour's worth of work... Criminal..

I laughed and noped outta there...

#5 ·
Spend a lot a few times or little a lot of times

I had a Nissan before my R55s, I owned them both for 4 years. In comparing the bills, the Nissan was more expensive to own and maintain than the MINI was. True the individual bills for the MINI were higher, but I had more bills for the Nissan. Yes MINI service was more expensive, but it wasn't as frequent and much of what was required for the MINI was covered by a better warranty.

A fellow I work with has a 18 year old VW diesel. He figures he puts in about $1000 per year in maintenance, always at a VW dealership. The car drives very well and he is still quite happy with it. He feels that in comparison with other cars it really isn't that bad and he's well past making payments. Since being out of warranty, he's put approximately 15K into his car, which when you look at financing new cars over that period is pretty **** cheap.

My point is that, service can be a good value even if it is expensive. I too balk at a $150 oil change, but if I only need it every 10K km then it's not too bad. In many cases the dealership is unnecessary. If you need new tires or brakes, lots of providers can take care of you. I know my car is no Porsche, but it's no Civic either, so somewhere in between is where my expenses have to be. Go to the dealership for some stuff and elsewhere for the rest.

Oost

#7 ·
You want to try riding a motorbike-they are only just getting in to the real world with service prices and parts prices crazy too-pair of front discs over £200, whereas I did the mini with pagid for less than £100 inc pads. Here in the uk car part prices are mad; but there are plenty of alternative providers if you want to risk it; I'm with Oost, but if I can do it myself that is my preferred option. mini servicing in the uk is 5 years for £300 I think which is an absolute bargain compared to many makes, so here in the uk my mini is the cheapest car I have had to run in years. Love it!

#8 ·
Right, anything with the mini logo will cost more. Look at what they want for a 2 gig usb stick.

When I bought my "certified" car, they tried to sell me an extended maintenance plan for about $1,500. When I said no, he looked at me like I was nuts. But things like spark plugs are not included in the plan, as well as brake pads, and on and on.The agreement has a longer list of what isn't covered than what is. I finally told him I would be trading the car when the current plan ran out, just to move the conversation on.

I had no problem with the sales pitch and was not unhappy with the service. But it underlined for me the fact that this car will not be cheap to maintain. I also verified that I can buy these plans in the future if I want to.

I bought it with 4,000 miles on it, hoping that most of the problems have surfaced and been fixed. So far so good, but when it comes time to do spark plugs, filters, etc, I expect to pay more than I used to pay for the crummy Grand Prix that this one is replacing.

I remember replacing spark plugs every 10,000 miles and tuning up the old Crown Victoria V8 for $350 back in the day, so it is not so bad.

And then there was the time I tried to tune it up myself, ended up blowing up the muffler because I did not know how to do the timing, and the whole thing cost $1,000.

#9 ·
From my understanding. Most of it has to do with the labor. Most dealers work "from the book". This means that if the technical service manual says that a procedure should take 3 hours to do, they will charge at that rate. Even if it takes them 20 minutes to do the actual procedure.

Many smaller shop will charge per labor hour. Meaning they'll charge you exactly for the amount of time they work on it.

They then add the cost of the parts, and tack on any sort of fees they see justified/required by law.

I consider it a small price to pay to keep the warranty as worry free as possible.
Plus new cars with all their technology and sensors can really muddle things up.

#10 ·
I think the moral of the story here is take it to MINI for work covered by warranty or the maintenance plan and take it to a good independent MINI mechanic for everything else!

#11 ·
I just happened to notice that all the accessories went up in price a couple weeks ago too. The side scuttles I (fortunately) ordered the car with were $106 US. Last week I noticed that they now go for $50 more. My reaction wasn't fit for polite company.

#13 ·
Gone up in the Uk as well, looked at side scuttles when I ordered the car, just found out my car in on its way to the dealer so looked again today just over £30 more, WTF is going on? you would think parts like this would cost less over time not more.

#15 ·
just a thought about the initial post; spark plugs and gap them-NO WAY-these are platinum plugs (or they were in the r56 so am sure they will be in this) and you should never 'gap ' them-they come preset and you simply take the old ones out and put the new ones in-simple. someone is pulling a fast one-!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.