Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So instead of keep updating the JCW gallery I thought I'd start a wee thread just for my JCW...

Here's the spec, from memory i'm sure there's more...

John Copper Works
Thunder Grey
Black roof
Black mirror caps
Black bonnet strips, white pin stripe
LED head lights
Chilli pack, including
- 18" JCW cup wheels
- Dinamica/Leather Carbon Black sports seats
- Extended storage
- Auto wipers and auto headlights
Media XL pack, including
- Mini Nav XL
- Enhanced bluetooth
- Mini Connected XL
Variable damper Control
Folding exterior mirrors
Heated front screen
Roof rails, black
Panoramic sunroof
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Harman Kardon Hi-Fi system
Head Up Display

After 200 miles I took it to AMDetails up in Elgin for...
Single stage detail
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black and EXO a hydrophobic coating
Gtechniq G1 Smart Glass.
The GTechniq comes with a 7 Year Guarantee.

I also coated the alloys with GTechniqs C5

This is what the Mini replaces, a Cayman S. I really miss this. I mean REALLY miss this! Trying to run a 2 seater while having a wife, 2 kids and a dog meant this was never getting used.:(

I then wrapped in black the surrounds of the grill, headlights and tail lights and also the door handles and fuel cap

And some interior shots too

Now up to circa 1500 miles, I pretty pleased with it so far. The P7 run flat tires are a bit of a joke, so will be looking at replacing them in the summer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful car how hard is it to remove the rear trims also I don't think much to the p7 it's not the grip as such but the noise is loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The guys did the wrap without removing the parts

Reactions: Fartnugget

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a very similar specced car currently in build - I should have it in 3 weeks or so !

How much did you pay for the de-chrome ?
Beautiful car I think it looks top notch !
Is it fulfilling your needs as a replacement for the cayman S ?

Sam

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I had the P7 on my Abarth talking about a junk Tire worn out at 10K city/highway driving replaced them with Kumos what was a great tire but hey the calendar is still fantastic.;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It was about £250 to have the chrome wrapped black. So a bit of a saving over all new parts. Also I can remove the wrap later if I or the next owner wants.

As for a comparison to the Cayman...
It wouldn't be fair to try and compare the 2 as they are totally different cars, mid-engine flat 6 rear wheel drive, with ginormous super grippy tires v's a small hatch-back with a big engine. As much fun as the mini is the Cayman is in a different league, I'd love to have it back, and I will one day soon. (Get back to work Mrs T!)
Once I decided I was going to have to sell the Cayman for something with 4 seats I tried really hard to make the sums work on a 911 (991), but until my missus goes back to work that's not going to work (and given I work in the oil industry and the oil price is so low just now I 'd prefer to pocket the cash just now). After that I wanted something a bit different to the plethora of VWs Audi and BMWs we have in Aberdeen. My mate has had both previous versions of the JCW and I always really like it, but there were always 2 things holding me back from owning one; only having a 1.6 engine and the interior wasn't 'premium' enough, with exposed screws and the like. This JCW ticked a lot more boxes now, so I went for it...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you leaving the chrome trims under the windows? Seen people wrap them too......
Would like to but they can't be wrapped. The stiff rubber adjacent can't be manipulated out the way to hide the edge of the wrap.

I'm investigating options.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Would like to but they can't be wrapped. The stiff rubber adjacent can't be manipulated out the way to hide the edge of the wrap.

It's a nice wee bit of bling though, doesn't look out of place.

Maybe I've seen photos of folk using that spray on stuff - plasticoat or something?? I have my doubts about durability of it.....

.....and I much prefer my MCS to our Boxster GTS. It's got such a hard act to follow after our C63. Mind you my MCS struggles to live up to my old RCZ, no-one looks twice at the MINI :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I've seen photos of folk using that spray on stuff - plasticoat or something?? I have my doubts about durability of it.....
You can wrap it and from a distance it will look fine but up close you can see it's not right. Don't fancy spraying anything at the car, and I also think it'll look dodgy quickly.

...but can't deny the mine is a fun car for sure.
Agree it's a fun car...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was PM'd to grab a few shots of the bike on the Mini, thought others might be interested...

This is a BMW supplied roof bars with a Thule FreeRide 532 bike carrier.

It's a bit tight at the rear when the tailgate is open so have to mount to whole lot fairly far forwards. You could chop the tail of the rack off and re-mount the end if this was a concern.

Reactions: Moovrr

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Up to 2500 miles now, initially wasn't that taken with the Mini if I'm honest, but I'm beginning to enjoy it now, feels like it's loosened up a bit recently. This coincided with getting a screw in a tire (Pirelli P7) and replacing them all with Pirelli P Zeros, feels much better now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Currently rocking a Countryman ALL4 as the JCW is in getting a couple of niggles sorted.

Passenger seat is being replaced to sort a really annoying squeak and to re-code the rev match as it intermittently fails which makes for interesting down-shifts. Dealer is being really good about it all which makes it a bit easier.

The ALL4 however is a hideous car, like not just a little bit rubbish; I've driven vans that are more engaging.

·
Registered
28 Posts

you can get Beltline Tape in either gloss or matte finish. I did my 2013 and it still looked great when it was crashed into a few months ago 😞....just google “Beltline Tape for Mini Cooper” and there’s lots of sites you can buy it. It fits exactly to your Mini. Takes some patience to put it on without stretching it but its a cheap mod and looks great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.