Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been looking to do this since I got the car a few months ago, and a quiet sunny Sunday seemed like the perfect day to do this..

Masking was a pain, took about 3 hours.
Word of advice, make each layer as thin as possible and keep the spray can away, or it will drip!

My hands hurt still I can barely type ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I need 5 posts to link pics

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my 5th post :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Time for a last coat and then will be unmasking. More pics to follow..

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh well, if you think this is an easy job for a dyi, think again.
Took me about 12 hours, and I had to do most parts over... Why? I masked too close and lifting the tape lifted the plastidip as well.
It takes a lot of effort to get this done right, the first time. Huge learning curve and naturally huge pain barrier as well!

The belt which seems the hardest part to get done with tape, looks great, and its not so hard. The chrome is surrounded by rubber, and that makes it easier to tear off the tape as it cuts on the rubber just fine. You have to rub it with your thumb to peel off some oversrpay, and both my thumbs are burnt now, but its ok.

My biggest friend was zaino z2, so I gave the car a z2 coat as well in the process. Didnt have any googone stuff, so cant comment, but zaino took the overspray off the metal quite easy.

Words of advice. Do not spray plastic lens its a bitch to clean... Metal is so much easier. Side markers, take them off, they pry off, and separate the chrome bit, gently one tab at a time. Pait separately. Did each twice till i figured that out...

Leave at least an inch all around the front lights, its so much easier to peel off like that.. Bu the way, lift the hood and cover the lenses, much easier.

Rear lights are a bit of a pain, best be done with the tailgate up. Again mask at distance. But the inside with the plastic lens is tricky. Leave too much you cant clean it properly, leave too little and it will lift the plastidip from the chrome.

Handles are easy, and so is the fuel cap...

All in all, I will say if you have a professional installer that can do it for you, then I think their experience is worth the money you will pay them, it will save you some pain. In Athens, I dont think there are experienced installers, or I didnt look for one!

Oh and one more thing. Gave up on the rear Cooper lettering, it was so hard to clean between the letters, that I ended up giving up.

I am 90% done I think, but its 1am and I am done for today. I will give it another go when I get another day to spare, to try the rear letters again. Still need to redo the front belt around the windscreen, and have the chrome bits from the sidemarkers on my desk to do tomorrow. And I need to do the front grill surround which needs to be done with the hood up I think and I didnt want to mess up the lights.

Pictures in the daylight when I am done...

Regards to all,
Nick

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Well done Nick
Looked like a real big job but the satisfaction of doing it yourself will pay in the long run. Paying a professional to do it is not always the best option as you would take more care doing it yourself.

Your car looks great especially with the tint, makes the 2 colours more distinctive than having the chrome thrown in as well.

How many cans did you go through and how many coats would you recommend?

I'm still contemplating using plasti dip but just not sure on the longevity of the product. Please report back every few months to let us or me know how it's going.
Cheers and get some well earned sleep.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Nick, thank you for the write up and sharing your adventure nicely done. :D The picture of the black door handles convinced me to have them wrapped with the rest of the chrome pieces.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done Nick
Looked like a real big job but the satisfaction of doing it yourself will pay in the long run. Paying a professional to do it is not always the best option as you would take more care doing it yourself.

Your car looks great especially with the tint, makes the 2 colours more distinctive than having the chrome thrown in as well.

How many cans did you go through and how many coats would you recommend?

I'm still contemplating using plasti dip but just not sure on the longevity of the product. Please report back every few months to let us or me know how it's going.
Cheers and get some well earned sleep.
Thanks Cessa.
With multiple attempts it took me 1&1/2 cans. One would have been adequate if I didn't have to do them over and over. Did 3-4 coats. Looks fine. I will have to come back on longevity.

I am pleased with the result so far. Let's see. Have more to do, rear letters (again) front grill surround and the front belt as I took it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick, thank you for the write up and sharing your adventure nicely done.
The picture of the black door handles convinced me to have them wrapped with the rest of the chrome pieces.
Thanks I am glad!! Good luck and post pics!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good job

You have lots of patience !
I'm liking the timepiece too
Thank you for your kind words. Yes I am a Panerai fan... However including it in the pic wasn't intentional I just didn't want to deal with cropping the pic at 1am!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fantastic write up and pics!

I want to do the same but I know 1st hand what a job it will be so I have put it off and off however I know it needs to be done.

Have you already done the front grille? Couldn't really tell from the pics.

Can't wait to see the daylight pics!

Great job well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm planning to dip all the chrome on my JCW when it arrives. A great resource is dipyourcar.com.

Regarding longevity, I dipped the gas cap on my S two years ago and it's held up brilliantly. Considering that the gas cap gets touched and manipulated more than pretty much any exterior part other than the handles I think the performance of the plastidip is outstanding.

On the Cooper badge on the back, the way to do that is to mask a rectangle around the badge and spray a bunch (6 - 8) of coats on the masked area. Once it dries, it is very easy to peel the plastidip off the body while leaving it on the badge. There are videos on YouTube showing this process. It's counterintuitive, but works very well.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
On the Cooper badge on the back, the way to do that is to mask a rectangle around the badge and spray a bunch (6 - 8) of coats on the masked area. Once it dries, it is very easy to peel the plastidip off the body while leaving it on the badge. There are videos on YouTube showing this process. It's counterintuitive, but works very well.
Or you could order this. Takes about 15 minutes to remove the old badges, clean/prep the area, and install the new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-M...ash=item28068b1b40:g:sjMAAOSw3ydV3qI-&vxp=mtr

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.