Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 MCS that is one year old this month (automatic). I went in for my annual service today and the report states that all the tires measure 6mm with the recommendation that they be inspected on my next service appointment. My car only has 2300 miles on it, so I was wondering if 6mm tread is excessive wear or normal. I never had to replace the tires on my previous two Minis after owning them for 3 years, and around 23,000 miles on each when I traded them in. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That seems like a lot of wear even for run flats. For comparison our R53 would wear out run flats in 10 - 12k miles on Colorado's abrasive paved roads. In your part of California all tires usually last much longer. Tire rotation helps, as does not doing too many stoplight grand prix starts >:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got about 35K miles on my Hankook Optimos (stock tires on F56S) before they wore down to 5/32, which is when I started noticing a little hydroplaning on rainy days and replaced them. 2300 miles - something is very wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got about 35K miles on my Hankook Optimos (stock tires on F56S) before they wore down to 5/32, which is when I started noticing a little hydroplaning on rainy days and replaced them. 2300 miles - something is very wrong.
Yes, that's what I thought, too. I'll ask them about it next time I go in. I didn't read that part of the evaluation until I got home. I haven't driven over any rough terrain and mostly on the freeway or in town on paved roads.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It doesn't sound right.something is definitely wrong. Get a second opinion ? Perhaps the tech didn't measure it correctly or the gauge was off calibration or they didn't know how to reset or use it correctly. Was the tech a newbie ? Just sayin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well 5/32" is 3.96mm, which means you only have about 2mm left until you get to 5/32, which is when you need to start thinking replacement. If you only got 2300 miles, something if definitely wrong. You might want to get the re-measured just to make sure they are giving you straight dope. Maybe go to a tire shop for a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Am I reading this different to others?

A new tyre is between 7 & 8mm when new, make depending and they say you have 6mm left?

Before I started being concerned I'd remeasure, any tyre place will do it or buy a gauge, they aren't that much.

Do you check the pressure regular? under or over inflated will cause them to wear quicker.

What make are you running?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Am I reading this different to others?

A new tyre is between 7 & 8mm when new, make depending and they say you have 6mm left?

Before I started being concerned I'd remeasure, any tyre place will do it or buy a gauge, they aren't that much.

Do you check the pressure regular? under or over inflated will cause them to wear quicker.

What make are you running?
I have a 2015 MCS with Cinturato run flats. I don't know off hand the exact number. I also have 18" Silver Cone Spokes. I check my tires every 2 or 3 weeks and have a portable compressor, which I use after the car has been sitting over night. Whenever I fill my tires, though, the gauge inside the car measures the pressure differently. I have trouble getting it to be exactly what the hand measure shows, but it's close. This is my third Mini. My first Mini was leased, and when I turned it in, it had about 25,000 miles after 3 years and the tires were fine. If they weren't, I'd have had to buy new ones. I'm going to stop by there next week and have them measure them again. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our F55 also has Cinturatos and measures 6/32 inches after 3.5 k miles. This is less than 6 mm but I bet the tech measured Sandylp's tires in inches also. Keep in mind tire wear isn't linear and is higher at first due to tread squirm :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
6,593 Posts
Im with Davey boy tyres from new have between 7-8 mmm so these are fine. Stop worrying unless the wear is uneven.

·
Super Moderator
6,593 Posts
BTW what make tyre,different tyres wear at different rates due compound etc. You're sound fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im with Davey boy tyres from new have between 7-8 mmm so these are fine. Stop worrying unless the wear is uneven.
Would this be considered uneven or acceptable. It’s only 1mm so I’m probably just being a little OCD but, in previous cars, I’ve always worn the outsides a little quicker from cornering...never the insides.

8541B17D-23FC-473F-99ED-92AF6101D21B.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
6,593 Posts
Inner sides wear faster on cars with power steering-I THINK though others may help out here-I think this is pretty even wear tbh!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good idea; wish lohen were closer to us-enjoy1
It took me around 3.5 hours. Dropped into Lohen before I went to the Travelodge to make sure I knew where I was going tomorrow......ended up leaving it so I don’t have to worry about getting up and in there early in the morning. One of the Lohen guys was kind enough to drop me at the Travelodge on his way home. (y)

·
Super Moderator
6,593 Posts
What are they doing with the car then?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts