Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is at the dealer for a few things and they mentioned that my front tires (runflats) are pretty worn. 4mm and 2.5mm. Rears are both around 6mm. I would have expected to get more than 15k miles out of these tires. Anyone else seeing this?

Also, he quoted me $331+tax to replace one tire (includes mount and balance). Is that about what I should expect to pay to replace a runflat?

·
Registered
478 Posts
4mm and 2.5mm sounds strange, is that either side ? Also what is the wear profile, I.e a depth reading across the tread? Over inflated tyres will wear the centre, under inflated wears both edges. A single edge can mean a geometry problem.

Most road tyres start loosing grip below 3mm, so if you want the best grip they need replacing.

Assuming there is no problems, tyre life is all about driving style. My Caterham uses .2mm per 20min track session, and the tyres start with 5mm, legal UK limit is 1.6mm meaning 17 sessions or about 6hours. 15-20k miles is ok for a front wheel drive front tyres, but not great, I normally get about 25k from my road cars.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If, as I suspect, they're 4mm on the inside of the tyre and 2.5mm on the outside, this is pretty normal wear pattern (scrubbing) for a car with an amount of toe in that I would expect from a car like a mini. (with the relatively short wheelbase and the high speeds it can achieve, it needs it).

Your dealer price for a replacement seems a bit high. In the UK I'd expect to pay around £135 ($210) each, fully fitted and balanced of a premium brand. that's for the 18" rims, less if you're on 17's

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Think my MCS tyres are ~5.5mm all round at the minute......7500 miles in..... will probably think about new fronts next spring..... (I have winter tyres for nov-march)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ended up just replacing the one tire and rotating the other side. I looked around a bit online and there was definitely a high dealer markup for the tire. Next time I'll probably just order them elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts