Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Cooper from the local dealer in Sept 2017 and the TLC package was listed on the invoice (£299). The sales person said at the time I had to have the TLC and ALL servicing costs would be covered. My previous Minis had the TLC pack and covered the servicing costs, including a brake fluid change after 3 years. I took my car to same dealer for its 1st MOT and end of warranty check and was staggered to hear that I had to pay for the required brake fluid check. I was told that the TLC pack no longer covered the brake fluid change.

The only “service” I have had on the car was last year and that was for the oil change/micro filter. The car has only done 8000 miles and therefore will not reach a point where a full service is required within 3 years. I feel that I have been ripped off paying £299 for one minor service. I have not been given any details on the TLC deal - in previous years I was given a leaflet outlining the scope of the deal. I want to complain but not sure where to start. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
997 Posts
The Mini site shows TLC covering services for 3 years/ 36k and does appear to be just service items (oil, filters, plugs) - Value Service

As your car is 3 years old even with the low mileage i'd be getting them to change the plugs under TLC to get some more "value" for your money

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking time to reply. I tried to escalate my gripe into a complaint by contacting the sales dept that sold me the TLC. The Sales Manager claimed that the oil/micro filter “service” costs £325, so my £299 TLC covered this cost. He also confirmed that a brake fluid change would not be covered by TLC. I still feel aggrieved as I was not told about the diminished scope of the TLC and therefore given the option to opt out. As for getting any further service items as a gesture of goodwill - I just got a flat refusal.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
997 Posts
I'm not sure where you're based but my 1st service (oil+filter and micro filters) cost £279, some dealers play against each other so shopping around it can be done cheaper. In this case a TLC wouldn't have been worth paying for but a couple of years before the TLC was for 5 years so that would have been worth it.

My next visit in Jan is for the brake fluid change, my dealer charges £100 (back st garage charges £50)

·
Registered
753 Posts
The 5 year tlc package (incl. one brake fluid change) was replaced by the current 3 year one on 01/01/2017. The change also applied to other BMW service packs from the same date - 5 years down to 3 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 5 year tlc package (incl. one brake fluid change) was replaced by the current 3 year one on 01/01/2017. The change also applied to other BMW service packs from the same date - 5 years down to 3 years.
Thanks for this info.
So the MC I bought in 2014 came with a 5yr TLC, cost £299 and included the brake fluid change which I got after 3 years in July 2017. A few weeks later I ordered a new MC and this is when I was told I had to have the TLC but at no point was I told that it diminished in scope, despite costing the same amount (£299). I therefore assumed that it would cover all servicing costs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had this with Wollaston Mini, £128 for the brake fluid service which is a rip off. I've tweeted Mini UK etc as this is a bit cheeky when the paperwork makes it look like all servicing is covered for 3 years or 36k miles.

If I get nothing back I'll book it in with a local trusted garage as I could do it but itll probably create issues / easy excuses on the warranty if there are any issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts