Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I know there are posts on this subject, but none with a definitive answer.

I bought a TMC box about a week ago for my cooper 1.5T. Installed it and the difference was noticeable. You could definitely feel it doing its thing.

I have since taken it out because I'm within the 30 days as the mpg seems to have decreased, alongside of the power-band not being so 'linear' and more like hitting a nitrous button every time you hit 4000rpm.

My questions are:

1 - Anyone with a TMC box in an F56 or previous experiences with one, have you had any problems with the engine. Did it decrease engine life and pop up with issues?

2 - Does it void warranty/is it traceable? I've been made aware that the box isn't traceable once removed, but can Mini have a look at the data from the key and see all the A/F ratios, boost pressue etc. and make a judgement that something has been changes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Gday Scott.
There is already a bit of information on this forum regarding this subject but there are many varied answers to your questions. From what i can gather, no one who has used an engine mod chip has had a rejected warranty claim based on a chip.
Some people reckon that the manufacturer if they really wanted to can read the engine data to see if a modification has occurred by unusual data reads but still no proof that a chip was used. The only big issue with a claim is if the car is involved in a crash and you couldn't remove the chip before the car was inspected by the insurer etc.

There are a few groups who use the NM ENGINEERING CHIP! The BR4 chip and one has mentioned about any problems with the use of this. As long as you don't go way overboard and push the car to the extreme.

·
Registered
407 Posts
2 - Does it void warranty/is it traceable? I've been made aware that the box isn't traceable once removed, but can Mini have a look at the data from the key and see all the A/F ratios, boost pressue etc. and make a judgement that something has been changes?

Well it's too late to worry about that now isn't it?

I have gotten a lot of mixed reports from all over the web with regards to the tuning parts on different manufacturers. I understand each company is different and there is no concrete proof.

Best bet is to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer once your car needs to be serviced. Be prepared to pay the full cost for anything you need to take the car in for.

But I would return it, and enjoy your warranty with full peace of mind until you start tinkering the with way the engine behaves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Cessa

Hi @Cessa

Thank you for the reply!

Insurance I'm not so worried about as I'll be insuring it if I re-install it, it's more the warranty thing that I'm worried about. Do you know of anyone that's experienced any issues from one?

Thanks for the help!

Gday Scott.
There is already a bit of information on this forum regarding this subject but there are many varied answers to your questions. From what i can gather, no one who has used an engine mod chip has had a rejected warranty claim based on a chip.
Some people reckon that the manufacturer if they really wanted to can read the engine data to see if a modification has occurred by unusual data reads but still no proof that a chip was used. The only big issue with a claim is if the car is involved in a crash and you couldn't remove the chip before the car was inspected by the insurer etc.

There are a few groups who use the NM ENGINEERING CHIP! The BR4 chip and one has mentioned about any problems with the use of this. As long as you don't go way overboard and push the car to the extreme.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I havent. I have put the question out there but havent had any responses which is great news. People generally report on issues they have had so no response is actually a really good sign.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.