Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have just ordered my tuning box for my JCW, communication has been good so far, Daron at TMC seems to know his stuff, I will be updating this with feedback including delivery time/installation with pics if possible and maybe dyno figures if I can be patient enough to get some dyno time before I fit it.

Hopefully this will be a cost effective and reliable tuning option for the JCW!

Claimed figures are below:

Performance

Performance

Original Tuned
KW
170 205
BHP
231 279
NM
320 366

Link to the product I bought:

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/TuningBoxDetailsNew.aspx?SID=10110377

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will be interested to see your review on the TMC. My JCW is going to production line on Monday so should be collecting within the next couple of weeks.

Already eyed up the TMC tunning box for it.

Is the TMC detectable when removed, can the dealer tell the engine has been played with if they run diagnostics on it? Just thinking about warranty issues?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently not, a few guys on the M135 forum have them and have been in for servicing warranty work etc and had no issues

Will be interested to see your review on the TMC. My JCW is going to production line on Monday so should be collecting within the next couple of weeks.

Is the TMC detectable when removed, can the dealer tell the engine has been played with if they run diagnostics on it? Just thinking about warranty issues?

·
Registered
37 Posts

My JCW hits production line on Monday also....we might be neighbours! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Box is here :)

I am not going to be putting the car on the Dyno as I rang several places and they all pretty much said that you cant get a very accurate figure with an auto for various reasons (none that I understand lol), they were willing to do it but said it wouldn't be very accurate. I was looking at £50 a run so £100 to do a before and after and to be honest it just isnt worth it. I'll use the good old Bum Dyno and give feedback based on that.

I'm going to have a go at fitting it this morning and will update once done

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed the box in around 40 mins, I could have done it in 15 however one of the sensors was awkwardly positioned and then it got stuck, I figured out how to remove it after removing the airbox.

It really is easy to do, I'm useless at things like this and I managed it, you just need to take your time and be careful with the clips. I put everything back as it should be then tidied up the wires and I was good to go.........

Looking forward Jimbo to hear back ...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Performance

OK so the box was installed in around 40 mins (would take me 10 now I know what I'm doing), I started the engine, nothing sounded different, no lights on the dash and no strange noises from under the bonnet. I felt reassured everything sounded ok......

Put it in reverse to get off the drive and noticed a bit more responsiveness, I left it in the mid mode and drove gently to see how it was, it felt pretty tame, as soon as you put your foot down though everything changes, the acceleration is there with a large kick of power. I drove the car for around an hour with a mix of modes, motorway slip roads were fun as I got to really give the car full throttle (up the speed limit off course)!

I would say that it feels like another 30/40bhp, I know its hard to quantify but I'd say it feels like it has about 20% more power, I recon 0-60 will be low 5's now, it really doesn't feel slower than my M135 and that was 4.9.

I've had a mini tuned by a reputable place before and he took my R56 from 210bhp to 253bhp, that felt insane and like the car was really at its limit, this doesn't, this feels like the car was meant to feel! There is so much power between 3 and 6000 revs, the car just pulls and pulls. The brakes and suspension feel up to the job of dealing with the power which is a great relief, I just need to keep an eye on the speedo as its very easy to get into lose your license territory!

I want to find a way of getting an accurate 0-60 time, any ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt the box is fantastic, I'll keep this updated as I do quite a lot of mileage so will see how its keeps up long term but its easy to install and it definitely works well, big smile on my face :):)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Good luck and enjoy Jimbo>:D
Like you say contrary to the claims of different manufactures it seems like 30 to 40bhp increase and similar for torque figures is the real figure to expect,which isn't bad for a quick & simple tune
Only another 100 miles nearer fitting mine:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
i like the sound of this. I too have just come from the BMW M135i and loved it, i will be massively impressed if the mini is as quick with the TMC!

Just the wait now, my car is on the production line so today so hopefully will receive a phone call soon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What made you change? For me I didnt love the car and it never made me want to go and drive it, the mini I want to hoon everywhere! I said to the mrs the other day that I will only get a BMW again when I can get a proper M car

i like the sound of this. I too have just come from the BMW M135i and loved it, i will be massively impressed if the mini is as quick with the TMC!

Just the wait now, my car is on the production line so today so hopefully will receive a phone call soon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Davo they do a flash tool for the gearbox called autoflash, you plug unto the OBD and it flashes new software to the gearbox dramatically improving speed of gear changes and apparently taking around 0.3 off the 0-60 time.

Its £400 though and locked to the VIN of the car so cant be sold on........

Good luck and enjoy Jimbo>:D
Like you say contrary to the claims of different manufactures it seems like 30 to 40bhp increase and similar for torque figures is the real figure to expect,which isn't bad for a quick & simple tune
Only another 100 miles nearer fitting mine:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
What made you change? For me I didnt love the car and it never made me want to go and drive it, the mini I want to hoon everywhere! I said to the mrs the other day that I will only get a BMW again when I can get a proper M car

I loved the 1er and only changed it as it needed new tyres! My father in law owns a BMW dealership so i get massive bargains on new cars and only have to pay £99 deposit. It's cheaper for me to swap cars than change tyres lol.

I also get bored very easy so change cars pretty much every 12 months. My buy price for the JCW with Harmon, adaptive suspension, leather lounge, tinted windows, chilli pack and media pack is £23k :D

I actually sold the 1er to my mate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jimbo

regarding installation how many connector the box has ? do you have any picture of the done work ?

regarding performance, do you feel the car push you back into the seat during accelleration, like while you are already in motion and step on gas with same gear ? (hope is clear what i mean :) )

thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have an email format instruction guide which is very clear so didnt bother taking pics. There is a kick back in gear but its not brutal, the kickdown on the hand is.

The car rides as standard just with more power when you need it

Jimbo

regarding installation how many connector the box has ? do you have any picture of the done work ?

regarding performance, do you feel the car push you back into the seat during accelleration, like while you are already in motion and step on gas with same gear ? (hope is clear what i mean :) )

thanks

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.