Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Or Not Extend the Warranty

Hello Chaps!

MINIs are all about having a blast, and a great time motoring...so it sucks that this topic must be brought up.

I am a current proud owner of a Pepper White R56 2007 Cooper S, and the soon to be proud owner of the F56 Electric Blue 2015 JCW. I'm wondering:

1) What did you choose when offered to purchase the extended warranty?
2) Approximately how much was it?

I say that I am proud owner of my R56, however, to say that she has been troublesome would be an understatement. This is one the reasons I'm buying a new MINI to take advantage of a BMW engine. She's had a huge number of issues, some of which have been corrected by MINI recalls (which I must admit, MINI have been AMAZING when it comes to recalls). However, some of the issues I've had to face have not been cheap. A short list of some of the major issues are:

a) Timing Chain Death Rattle (recall repaired)
b) Severe Heat leak into the drivers footwell
c) Engine Head Oil Leak
d) Complete failure of the Airbag system (pending recall repair...still waiting to see if I'm eligable for this newly announced recall)
e) TPM failure
f) Failure of the AC System
g) Seal failure at the Moonroof

For that reason, I am leaning towards the extended warranty...but just wanted to collect thoughts and ideas.

Thank you kindly!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am always torn about this topic. I'm sure it's coincidence, but the vehicles I've gotten the warranty on never needed it and when I passed on it I wished I had.

Lately though, I haven't kept a car longer than five years, so it they make it through the initial warranty, they've done well for the next couple years. I expect to replace a battery and a set of tires during that time.

I love my Mini, but I'll be excited to get a 2020 model to replace it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I trade my Cars every 3 Years just before the Warranty runs out. Keeps me happy and the Share Holders of the Car Companies.;)

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Put the money you'd pay on the extended warranty away safe; and maybe a little each month; then if a bill occurs its not a shock and you;ll cover most things? How much and how long is the ext warranty ; and what'll it cover-eg for the r56 they would nt cover the decoke and that was a major issue-i had an r56 s 2010 ran for 4 years 44000 miles with not a single fault! luck of the draw?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I look at it a little differently... maybe I'm a different kind of gambler. And it is gambling as you well know... they are betting your car won't break and you're betting it will. But... for a vehicle that has had only a couple little issues in the first few years (or none), my way of thinking is that paying the money to extend is a losing wager, as anything that was likely to break as a function of manufacturing or design issues has already broken and anything that is more likely to come up will be attributed to other causes - wear and tear, acts of stupidity, road hazards, etc. and likely not be covered anyway. If, however, the vehicle has a history of breaking and that habit is consistent to within about a year of the expiration... I'd proooobably hedge my bet and extend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm really torn. I do like the peace of mind that comes with the warranty, but on the other hand I don't like throwing money away.

My real sticking point though is that the problems I had with the R56 won't necessarily apply to the F56, expecially as it is new BMW tech. But then again, is the tech un-proven?

Argghhhhh! hahaha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts