Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking, as a new mini owner - well deposit has been paid at least - I was wondering what the on road community was like.

Eight years ago I bought a smart car for my mum, I wanted to get a lighter car for her, and she always commented on the fact when the car was new that other smart owners would wave. This doesn't happen these days.

Do mini owners wave or flash as they pass? If the forum is anything to go by it's a friendly community to be part of.;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I raise a hand as I used to do in my motorcycling days.

Does not always result in any reaction from the other party unfortunately!

No matter, costs nothing, though it may be a lost cause. I think some people have no idea what car they are driving..just a metal box with four wheels.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Maybe the driver assistant camera can recognise another mini and if the headlights are set to auto it will flash all by itself?

:D

BTW, what does the horn sound like? My Puma's horn is really weedy... it would instantly neutralise any road rage as people fell about laughing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had wondered this as well. I had a 911 and a Jeep where people always waved but it doesn't seem to happen in the Mini. I guess if everyone on the forums starts waving maybe we can bring the wave alive! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
We use to when I had the R50, but I think there are too many who just don't get the "Mini" bug :)
I have tried a few times but they just look at you as if something is wrong.
Mind you that just might be Yorkshire folk :)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
When I got my R50 over 11 years ago everyone would wave. Probably around 2005 every other car on the road was a Mini and so you wouldn't have been able to operate the car if you waved. Everyone gradually stopped waving.

Compare this with my 1978 VW camper and every other classic VW will wave.

I did wonder whether us third generation owners should do a kind of three fingered salute. I will if I ever see one on the road!

Oli

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes when I had my first MINI back in '04 everyone used to wave. In fact it was unusual for other owners not to wave. We could start a Facebook and twitter campaign to get it going again. To be honest I enjoy waving at random people whether they're driving or not.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just gave you a follow on Twitter, couldn't find you on Facebook under that user name lol.

Now I've just forgotten what the original thread was about.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
To wave or not to wave......interesting question.

I know someone on Facebook tried it recently. It didn't work out very well.

I do tend to treat fellow Mini owners with a bit more respect on the roads though......

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just gave you a follow on Twitter, couldn't find you on Facebook under that user name lol.

Now I've just forgotten what the original thread was about.....
Just followed you back mate ;-) I'm on Facebook (Milo Rambles) - not my real name but what I go by in the book world!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was filling up the car for my mum today - good son that I am! - and a mini pulled up next to me, happened to be a lovely woman and we ended up chatting for 10 minutes. Should have asked her for her number!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The amount of MINIS in Aberdeenshire, I think it'll be impossible! I might wave if I spot someone coming towards me with halos :)
On the other hand, RCZers are quite good at acknowledging each other, but then we're like hen's teeth :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have an idea

In the not too distant future we should all get connected somehow wherever we are around the world and wave to one another in our minis

Sorted

:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think we'd all agree it would be a lovely tradition to bring back - and this from someone who hasn't got his mini yet!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts