Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped into Halfords this afternoon to buy a few essentials for the MINI as you do .......

After picking up a few items I remembered that I also required a bottle of antifreeze to top up my MINI and the wife's MINI.

I was presented with two types of antifreeze -
Silicon based
Organic based

Any technically minded guys or gals out there who can explain the differences and benefits?

Which one do I buy to top up a MINI engine cooling system?

Our F56 MINI's are:
2014 Cooper
2015 JCW

·
Registered
296 Posts
Popped into Halfords this afternoon to buy a few essentials for the MINI as you do .......

After picking up a few items I remembered that I also required a bottle of antifreeze to top up my MINI and the wife's MINI.

I was presented with two types of antifreeze -
Silicon based
Organic based

Any technically minded guys or gals out there who can explain the differences and benefits?

Which one do I buy to top up a MINI engine cooling system?

Our F56 MINI's are:
2014 Cooper
2015 JCW

I've always been told that newer cars should use OAT (organic) based, as it protects the parts from corrosion. The OAT anti-freeze is more long-life than the silicate. However OAT isn't suitable for older engines, that contain yellow metal (copper, brass etc), shouldn't be a problem for a new Mini engine!

The silicate antifreeze needs to be replaced more often as the additives deplete over time, whereas this doesn't occur with the OAT antifreeze.

Halfords have a helpful checker for things like that if you aren't sure:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...ze?cm_re=VNCategories-_-feature6-_-antifreeze

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have never had to put anti freeze in any of my cars since 2001 only after a few years does coolant need replacing unless have contamination, you can take some out and test it, live in NE Scotland and have travelled to Scottish mountain many times in winter even had a petrol car freeze the petrol on extrem weather but never needed to put in anymore anti freeze.
Are you concerned just get a tester?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have never had to put anti freeze in any of my cars since 2001 only after a few years does coolant need replacing unless have contamination, you can take some out and test it, live in NE Scotland and have travelled to Scottish mountain many times in winter even had a petrol car freeze the petrol on extrem weather but never needed to put in anymore anti freeze.
Are you concerned just get a tester?

I test the coolant with litmus paper to make sure the mixture is NOT acidic. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: derekh929
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.