Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

As the topic suggests, I am after a new motor bike and have tried a few and wanted some advice on the one I have short listed.

I understand we have a few bikers over here and thought it would be really helpful to get an unbiassed advice..

A brief history about my riding history. I have been riding for 12 years now. So far I have owned;

In India - Honda 125cc Scooter, Kawasaki 250, Royal Enfield 500..

Here in the UK - I started with a Kawasaki ER6F then on to a Honda CB500R then Honda NC750X then Honda CBR600RR. Currently I have a Honda Forza 125 which I had bought for my wife and she never used it so I thought why not get rid of it and treat my self to a nice two wheeled motor.

This time I was looking for something relaxing yet fun and I couldn't find anything with Honda so started looking else where (Japanese of course). I have short listed a few bikes like, Suzuki SV650, Yamaha MT09, MT07. On Sunday I had test ridden the MT07 and straight away fell in love with it, apart from the fact that I found it a tad bit cramped.

Whilst at the dealer I came across the newest addition to the Yamaha family and its called Yamaha XSR700. Its based on the award winning MT07 and the styling is totally different and Yamaha is calling its Sports Heritage line.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-heritage/xsr700.aspx

I have never owned a Yamaha so would love to hear from your experience. Also, I would really appreciate if you could give your thoughts on the looks department..

Many Thanks
Saurabh

·
Registered
200 Posts
first off, I've never owned a Yamaha so won't be able to comment on the engine or reliability. The looks seem to be gravitating toward the retro cafe racer look that a lot of the different companies are doing now, ducati, triumph, bmw, moto guzzi... which i personally like. I think it entirely depends on what kind of riding you like to do.

For long distance two up riding, or long distance touring it you might find the engine a little lacking, but for ripping around town or commuting or having a nice ride on some twisties a couple days a week it would be a pretty sweet bike. Is it a brand new engine? or is it from another one of their bikes? I am always a bit weary on a first year model with a brand new design. Let us know what you end up deciding upon

·
Registered
200 Posts
oh i just read that what europe calls the MT-07, North america calls the FZ-07. and this bike is based on the fZ-07. Last year I went on a three day road trip with a friend who was riding an FZ-07. The FZ-07 was super zippy in corners and around city streets, but on the highways for long stretches he found it a bit buzzy. Also passing vehicles on the highway was a little slower than he would have liked. After the trip he gave in and bought a windshield too.

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Quite a nice bike but for comfier try the tracer version. More leg room and touring. Why Japanese? try a triumph street triple superb ,or a ktm 1050 perhaps a bit pricey though. The new retro Ducati looks nice too. But Yamaha traditionally well built and rarely hear any complaints!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quite a nice bike but for comfier try the tracer version. More leg room and touring. Why Japanese? try a triumph street triple superb ,or a ktm 1050 perhaps a bit pricey though. The new retro Ducati looks nice too. But Yamaha traditionally well built and rarely hear any complaints!
I can attest to the street triple and the new ducati scrambler, both amazingly fun bikes. I currently have a BMW F800GS and my wife has an F700GS. nothing but good things to say about them....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. Is it a brand new engine? or is it from another one of their bikes? I am always a bit weary on a first year model with a brand new design. Let us know what you end up deciding upon
Cheers fella,

Re the engine, HSR has borrowed its motor, suspension and brakes from the very popular MT07 (FZ07 in The USA). This engine is now around 2 years old and have had brilliant reviews. It has actually won multiple awards too.

Lets see what I end up getting...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did try MT09 Tracer and it was a great bike however because of its size i had to keep it aside as the entrance to my little hut in the garden is quite narrow.

I have heard a lot about triumph street however I was not intending to spend a lot on the motorbike.:(

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I have owned a few bikes in my time, one being a Yamaha WR250X (motard) to which I had converted it into a full off road. My last bike being a Honda 1000R. Have also owned a Triumph Daytona 600.

Yamaha is a top shelf bike just like the Honda, very reliable, well built and will last you many a year. Yamaha do build in some strange things into their bikes that can make servicing / repairing them a little more harder than Honda and Suzuki (also owned a Suzuki DRZ400 and a highly tuned 125 2 stroke).

The Triumph has come ALOOOONG way from the older days and their current crop of 3 cyclinder machines are really good except the gearbox still isn't up to the very high standard of the Jap bikes.The speed triple is definitely worth a ride just to compare comfort / power and handling.

When it comes to bikes (more so than cars) the decision comes down to how that make / model feels to you as an individual to ride. A bike with a really good rap might not suit your frame and riding style and you will regret it.

Buy the one that suits you.

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
What CESSA says is so so true as I found. to my cost. Triumph Daytona 955I was so lovely but had to go as with my hips I was crippled in 20 mins. I loved that bike but my ktm 990 smt is far more comfy. Miss the triple.fantastic engine and gearbox was better than the ktm.

Bike makers are really miles behind cars. Many bikes now have low seat options and a few seat height option bmw are really good here but you still have to try a bike for fit. DRIVES ME CRAZY.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What are your goals for riding? It is hard to get a feel for what you want to do. City cruising? Road trips? Are you stuck on Japanese? Have you considered a lightly used Harley if you're going to be doing road tripping? I have a Softail Slim that I average 10k + miles a year on. Absolutely love it. I take it on trips that average 2k miles in a weekend to daily driving duties (~30 mile round trip) to driving in DC/Baltimore. The only issues I ever run into are in intense stop and go + over 90 degrees ambient she gets a little warm and pukes a little oil, as designed. Other than that this has been the most comfortable and dead reliable motorcycle I have ever owned.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Gets great reviews I am sure you won't be disappointed. Yamaha are the movers of the (Japanese) bike world at the moment. They've really woken up after the credit crunch and are showing Honda and Suzuki the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.