Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use the touch sensitive number buttons on the central unit? I know they are shortcut buttons that can be used to get to specific radio channels or a specific sat nav view but can they be used to shortcut to anything else? The other screens I have tried so far can't be saved (like trip computer, external media) which is a shame as it would be great to bring those up with one press of a button.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've noticed that these are touch sensitive too but can't work out why or what the benefit is? I still have to press to go to my saved stations?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The point of them being touch sensitive is to show you what they do... If you hold your finger over them then it will come down at the top of the central display and tell you what it does. You can set the buttons to do anything you want, for my I've set the first 3 to the radio stations I like listening to and the 4th to go to Bluetooth Audio.

Reactions: bjblyth

·
Registered
646 Posts
The point of them being touch sensitive is to show you what they do... If you hold your finger over them then it will come down at the top of the central display and tell you what it does. You can set the buttons to do anything you want, for my I've set the first 3 to the radio stations I like listening to and the 4th to go to Bluetooth Audio.
Where are the options to set these to go to certain menus? I think I'll be sitting in the cabin for an hour or so this morning!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Where are the options to set these to go to certain menus? I think I'll be sitting in the cabin for an hour or so this morning!
All you have to do is have whatever you want to set the button to selected on the screen, then hold down the button you want to set it to for 2 or 3 seconds and you'll hear a bong and it will set to that function.

Reactions: bjblyth

·
Registered
646 Posts
Have now nipped out and had a play with these settings - actually very useful!

A tip for the OP and anyone else reading, you have to be hovering over the option you want to programme as opposed to actually being in the function.

So to set a radio station, go to the list of stations and hover over your choice and hold down the number you wish to pre-set.

I found this out when being in the trip computer so I could see the info, and when holding down the pre-set I wanted it said it cannot be saved, however if I hover over 'trip computer' in the menu, and hold down the button then voila - it saves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've set one of mine to switch off the central display, and another as a shortcut to the TPM readout screen. Very useful!

B

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got some of mine set up to call key contacts in my phone book.

Use to have a 1 Series BMW that has this feature had all mine set to call contacts as had the idrive to select radio stations

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Mine:
1 - Turn the iDrive screen off/on
2 - Turn the light ring on/off (most times I like it, but sometimes at night I find it distracting)
3 - Radio presets
4 - SPORT mode settings/DDC controls
5 - Text Messages
6 - Driving Excitement (because reasons)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

A tip for the OP and anyone else reading, you have to be hovering over the option you want to programme as opposed to actually being in the function.

So to set a radio station, go to the list of stations and hover over your choice and hold down the number you wish to pre-set.

I found this out when being in the trip computer so I could see the info, and when holding down the pre-set I wanted it said it cannot be saved, however if I hover over 'trip computer' in the menu, and hold down the button then voila - it saves.
That's super helpful - thanks. I look forward to having a play around to set mine up and it's interesting to hear what other people are using them for. Having a couple for speed dialling sounds great!

·
Registered
197 Posts
My car buttons are too sensitive - or a ghost is present. Sometimes the display acts as though I'm hovering my finger over one of the buttons by displaying my messages ��

·
Registered
375 Posts
I programmed some functions under these buttons as well bur for some reason I always forget that I did and take the long way through the menu. Still have to get used to this option I guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts

This is the best tip ever!! I was going mad with this and started to believe the 6 buttons were only valid to store radio stations!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have one of my 1-6 buttons set to go to my tire pressure/temperature monitoring screen, one set to go to the iHeartRadio app, one set to my father's home phone, one set to my home address for the navigation system, one set to skip to the sport instruments display, and one set my my local NPR station.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Got radio 2 70s radio 80s radio, usb stick , bluetooth (phone)so to stream music, and tpms as number 6-makes life easy-till I use the wife's key-so now set hers up the same!

Reactions: ventmore
1 - 16 of 16 Posts