Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ... I'm a bit of a luddite I have to admit - until 6 hours ago I'd wasn't aware that RDC on the F55 was anything different to the tyre pressure monitor that I have on my 2008 clubman. I've never thought it was a great hardship to have a biro sized pressure gauge kept in the armrest ... I have never trusted garage forecourt gauges! Anyway they're obviously a great safety innovation - and as such shouldn't be knocked. My other half now wants me to find out if they can be retro fitted to her Suzuki 'sewing machine on wheels'.

I'm speccing a F55 5 door currently and thought I'd ask about a spare set of steel rims for winter tyres (I think they will look quite rugged and I've never been a great fan of 'blingy' alloys) - my thoughts were to get the rims and have the local tyre guru get the tyres. (living in rural Scotland I think it's important to keep him in business - the next nearest puncture fixer is an extra 40 mile round trip). Anyway, the mini dealership came back with a price of £580 for 4 x steel rims plus Pirelli winter tyres including the electronic valves which 'would cost' £250. I know I could source rims and Conti tyres for £408 on the 'net' .

From what I've read the said 'electronic valves' if not fitted would cause an irritating warning symbol to appear (and stay) aside from that, no great harm would be done (?). I'm guessing that the 'electronic valves' outlive the life of the tyre (?) - or do you need to change these little gismos every time you change a tyre? Sorry to ask what are possibly stupid questions but we can be a bit behind the times up here - things have improved though since we got electricity!

If anyone would like to give me some information to drag me into the 21st Century I'd be obliged.

Main questions are :
Are the electronic valves a necessity?
Do they need changing with every tyre change?
Would they survive a tyre being temporarily repaired with a tin of tyre repair gunk in the event of an emergency?
What are the alternatives to the BMW valves that are available? - I've seen such names as Huf and Schrader whist looking around.

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks vm

·
Registered
763 Posts
1)Without the TPMS you'll get a warning light and probably an alert chime on start up, No idea how long it lasts or if it turns off.
2)If the tire changer is careful the sensors don't need to be replaced with the tires. Most places will tell you it's "recommended" to change them, you can politely decline.
3)There is sensor safe Slime, haven't had to try it yet but it is advertised as not harmful to sensors.
4)There are alternatives to the BMW sensors but some have trouble communicating with the onboard system.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
They quote 'around 5 years life (battery powered!) I was going to risk after market ones but they weren't massively cheaper at the time so played it safe and bought mini!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... thanks for the replies from the three of you - I had worries that the cost of a change of tyre was going to be doubled cos of these gismos - but clearly not.

Jeremy - love the 'orange' - I was wanting it but 'her indoors' vetoed it - so she's forking out the £475 for the dark blue metallic!

cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
That is a lovely colour. Thank you i am very pleased with the vo ,gave me a bit of cash to spend on options!

The tpms thing is a bit of a pain. Makes a set of winter wheels more costly. I am hoping like the tyres that the batteries last twice as long! Like you i did consider risking not having them and having the warning light come on but its an mot failure now in the uk grrrrr! (Mind you my mot is august so I'd have got away with it. Just didnt feel right!

When you put the new tyres on doynt start the engine bht switch ignition on go into settings tpms reset, activate it start up and drive away. Takes about 20 mins driving for them to initialise!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts