Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put new wheels and tires on yesterday.

Ordered from Tirerack.com so I'm assuming the TPMS is good and compatible. My car will just not register them. I have "attempted reset" multiple times. A few times I made it to 49% then they failed.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
85 Posts
How far have you driven? Sometimes they need a good 20 miles to register. Do you have a sport model/one that will show each individual tire pressure? If not you may have to go to Mini to have them reset and paired.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How far have you driven? Sometimes they need a good 20 miles to register. Do you have a sport model/one that will show each individual tire pressure? If not you may have to go to Mini to have them reset and paired.
I've probably driven close to 50 some odd miles. I have attempted the reset multiple times, each time it fails (or gets about 40-50% then fails.

My mini does show each tire and its relative pressure. I guess I'll have to travel to the dealer

·
Super Moderator
8,834 Posts
Bit strange it gets to around 50%. Mine hung around there for quite a while last wheel change,(but i bought mini tpms's ) when i put the summers back on; but i carried on driving and suddenly skipped to 80% and quickly finished. Sadly it sounds a bit like the tpms's tyre rack have fitted somehow arent programmed to the car. Might be worth a call to them first as they supplied the 'faulty' (possibly) items. Stealer visit after that !

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Is your car still under warranty? If so, I'd call the dealer and ask a service advisor for an explanation instead of driving to the dealer, unless it's close to you. This is one reason I love old school technology! Ridiculous the way hi-tech unnecessarily inconveniences owners! Car manufacturers love complicated electronics in their products so lowly owners have to come crawling to the dealer for assistance!

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bit strange it gets to around 50%. Mine hung around there for quite a while last wheel change,(but i bought mini tpms's ) when i put the summers back on; but i carried on driving and suddenly skipped to 80% and quickly finished. Sadly it sounds a bit like the tpms's tyre rack have fitted somehow arent programmed to the car. Might be worth a call to them first as they supplied the 'faulty' (possibly) items. Stealer visit after that !
Yes - it's rare, but I have heard of sensors shipping that just won't pair. Which is a huge pain because you have to dismount and remount and remove and replace the sensors

·
Super Moderator
8,834 Posts
Is your car still under warranty? If so, I'd call the dealer and ask a service advisor for an explanation instead of driving to the dealer, unless it's close to you. This is one reason I love old school technology! Ridiculous the way hi-tech unnecessarily inconveniences owners! Car manufacturers love complicated electronics in their products so lowly owners have to come crawling to the dealer for assistance!
TOTALLY agree; the previous system based on teh abs sensors in the r series cars was good enough for me BUT our wonderful health and safety rules meant they're not accurate enough. In the uk if these dont work (ie warning light comes on and in fact MANY other warning lights too) then it will be an MOT failure; this i feel is going to make second hand owners think twice! could be very expensive.

HOWEVER in this case if the original wheel tpms sensors were working fine there's nothing wrong with the car or the electronics-the issue is with what tyre rack fitted. To be sure you could pop the old set back on. if they work the issue is with tyre rack and they need to sort it for you. if not , it's main dealer! ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
What I don't understand is why they changed from the old system. Did the wonderful EU bring in a law or something to make them do it the new way? If so then why does the like of the new Honda Jazz use the old system?

Oh and I agree the old system worked well for me and I have had some false alarms with the new system and I have only had the car a couple of months.

To the case in hand, I agree that the best thing to do is to try the old set and see if they work, and take it from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.