Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mini Cooper JCW - 3dr Manual - Lapis Luxury Blue
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Picked up a Lapis Blue F56 JCW from a dealer in Essex, drove the car home and when we encountered roads outside of London (country roads) the car would engage traction control as if we were spinning wheels, even in a roundabout.

Called dealer and they said potential speed sensor fault.

It has now been a week, and the car is pulling left and feels unstable in corners. Went to a well known independent (Millsys Autos) and they have checked the car over and found the incorrect size rear tyres are fitted to the rear of the vehicle (215/40r18 as opposed to the standard spec 205/40r18) other than this they have said change tyres and if still pulling come back for wheel alignment. Called dealer back and they have said won't be the tyres causing this and they had alignment done as part of their PDI.

Does anyone have any input that may help as we are at a loss for what could be causing this to a car that otherwise, is in very good condition.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Ryan

IMO, 10mm of additional tire width (unlike height) should not mess with ESP and especially overall stability of the car.
Just checking, does it pull left under heavy throttle or just overall?
If you disable ESP completely by pressing and holding ESP switch for like 10 seconds until is says ESP OFF (not "TRACTION"), will there be any changes in behaviour?
My wild guess before there's any additional information is one of the ABS sensors might be at fault and sending incorrect data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ryan

IMO, 10mm of additional tire width (unlike height) should not mess with ESP and especially overall stability of the car.
Just checking, does it pull left under heavy throttle or just overall?
If you disable ESP completely by pressing and holding ESP switch for like 10 seconds until is says ESP OFF (not "TRACTION"), will there be any changes in behaviour?
Hey,

Does it regardless of the driving mode/traction on or off, have tried it all.
With the tyres I cannot see any logical reason to have wider rear tyres on the back of a FWD car, but it has caused a slight increase in height. It has been enough to effect traction to the point that it will turn cruise control off when going around a sweeping bend.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I totally forgot that tire height is actually a percentage of tire width, like 40% of 205 vs 40% of 215.
In that case it makes sense. I mean, i'm not sure it's actually the reason but i guess ESP might go wild if your rear wheels are rotating with a slightly different speed than fronts.
Worth a check if you have an opportunity to do so without purchasing 2 new tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd drop it off at the dealer and tell them you'll pick it up when everything works as it should. :)
This is my thinking - although I am a 3 hour drive from the dealer - so currently trying to solve amicably over the phone before going down the threatening route.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
That is crazy-different rolling circumference front and rear-am surprised the computer hasn't issued a hissy fit and gone into limp mode-is your dealer a Mini franchisee-I doubt it given how fussy ours is with tyres-get them changed urgently and then see how you get on-the JCW does torque steer a lot and can get pulled to the left on road camber as can our EV-love the feel of the wheels tugging away -but your car isn't right!

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is crazy-different rolling circumference front and rear-am surprised the computer hasn't issued a hissy fit and gone into limp mode-is your dealer a Mini franchisee-I doubt it given how fussy ours is with tyres-get them changed urgently and then see how you get on-the JCW does torque steer a lot and can get pulled to the left on road camber as can our EV-love the feel of the wheels tugging away -but your car isn't right!
Why? Audi RS3 have staggered set ups the width would not be an issue on rolling radius only height

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Exactly.you are right. Width isn't a problem at all but height is. The op has different heights from how I read it.

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
62 Posts
pilotwoo is correct - it's a ratio - therefore a wider 40 profile tyre is also TALLER & will have a different rolling radius - so jeremybingham also makes a good point,.....it could easily be causing the electronics to be detecting what IT thinks is a slide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts