Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was picking up my car I had it appraised to see what I would get if I trade it in towards another Mini. Of Course there is the Auction price and Kelly Blue Book "if" I say just sell it to the Dealer straight out. Honestly I thought $16 to 17.5K is what whole sale is on the Mini Boy was I wrong.
With the car been pretty basic you can not expect a lot in return when you sell it but have to write a big check when you buy it. BTW I am not blaming anybody or saying the Dealer try to stick it too me on my trade. I just wrote this too sharpen your pencil with them options.;)

Here are my options on the car
Miles 22100 Condition excellent

Hill Start A/C Power Windows/Locks

DTC Cruise/C
DDC Power Steering/tilt telescoping wheel
ABS Am/Fm/Blue Tooth Airbags/ front/side/knee
Keyless Entry Daytime Running Lights
Keyless Start Alloy Wheels

Drum Roll please......

2015 Mini Hardtop 2 Door Hatch 3 Cylinder

$ 14172.00
Deduction for Man 6 speed $500.00 (yep you loosing $$$ when you order a man transmission )

got an extra $ 150.00 for the car been red....:)confused::confused::confused:) and an extra $ 150.00 for the 17" Oem Wheels I put on ($ 750.00 if order the car with it) No extra $$$$ for the JCW interior package or any of the other pckages.

Kelly Blue Book Lending Value is $ 14061 . (Wow)

Now than there is the magic carpet price if I order/buy another Mini from the Dealer Rebates etc etc .....they would be able to find another $ 3500.00 so they say what is not bad since I only paid 24K for the car.

All I can say is...check your option list wisely and a big hurray for Gap Insurance if the car would get totaled out.:):)

So the JCW Interior does not matter or the Cosmo wheels or or or when you sell the car but it will when you buy one that is used.....:D

Here are some Manheim Auction Whole Sale Prices with about the same miles and options as mine

$ 14400 Manheim Atlanta
$14800 Manheim Palm Beach
$14500 (automatic transmission) Manheim Nevada(Las Vegas)

here are some with low miles

Nevada with 3157 Mile 6 speed $ 15K
New Mexico 5002 Miles 6 Speed 14.6K
Orlando 22600 Miles auto transmission $ 15.2K

What I found interesting is that Dealers take other Cities in consideration when they appraise your car and all the option packages in the world do not matter when you trade you car in. I always have been told the more options you have the better the trade in.... I guess that is an old wife,s tail too.:D:D

On a personal note honestly I can not see that a fully loaded MCS or JCW will bring much more $$$$ when you trade it in maybe another $ 2 to 3K with the right option and miles. Any "Special Editions" are worse less and just drain your wallet. All that said this is just some info from my end to make go "HHHMMMM" when you go too crazy on the option list.:D:D

Here is some intersting reading from Autoevolution.

Why “Special Edition” Cars Aren't Usually Worth Your Money

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...s-aren-t-usually-worth-your-money-113770.html

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries Davy ....you did alright with you color pick.;)

Gender-based car color study has men seeing red, women seeing silver

Yes, red is the most popular vehicle color for men, and women like silver more than any other color, according to a study by iSeeCars. It's hard to make perfect sense of the study, which explores gender and its relation to vehicle color preference, but it does open a window into the minds of male and female car shoppers.

iSeeCars' study is based on information obtained on its website, which aids users in the search for new and used cars. For a year, the crew at iSeeCars conducted the study on the 30-million used cars posted to their website, analyzing hundreds of thousands of inquiries into used cars by male and female visitors.

Did you know that women prefer blue vehicles more than men? Sure, why not. But would you have guessed that blue is the most common color for minivans? What a coincidence... And while women are 9.2-percent more likely than men to pick a silver vehicle, they're also 9.1 percent more likely than men to prefer brown. And red, the favorite color of men, along with black are the most popular colors of used sportscars. After red, men prefer orange, black, white, green and gray vehicles, in that order. After silver and brown, women prefer gold, beige, blue and yellow, in that order.

For more details on the iSeeCars study, head over to the website,

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
After red, men prefer orange, black, white, green and gray vehicles, in that order. After silver and brown, women prefer gold, beige, blue and yellow, in that order.
I am disappointingly typical then. From VO to all black.

I'm not looking for resale value. I intend to drive it into the ground. But then that's what I said about my current 2015 S.

My calculus is that before much longer we'll all be herded into hybrids and / or google cars. I see this purchase as kind of a last primal cry of individuality and for the joy of wearing a taut machine made for carving the twisties. By the time I have to dispose of the JCW I might be ready for the self-driving car (Dammit! the springs are too hard on this car! Hey! Get off my lawn!) or anyone who tries to drive a car with an exhaust you can hear will be send off to the camps. Red Barchetta anyone?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Actually, MINI fares very well on the depreciation scale. The real issue is on trade-in where you are getting wholesale for your car ... MINI is no worse than other brands. In fact, it is actually better than most.

Bottom line ... you will lose a lot if you choose to trade your car. Granted, it is the easiest way to make a change, but it comes at a cost. I can cite many cases where I gave up a lot of money on trades (BMW Z3 M Coupe, For Mustang Cobra, etc.) where I would have done far better selling on my own.

Reactions: KYDan and Evlkarl

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Actually, MINI fares very well on the depreciation scale. The real issue is on trade-in where you are getting wholesale for your car ... MINI is no worse than other brands. In fact, it is actually better than most.
No idea in other countries but here in the U.K. the depreciation may equal other makes but only on a base car, extras add hardly anything regardless what was spec'd.

My last R55 JCW had near on £10k of extras and when I looked to change they just valued on the base price. Also the dealers here in the U.K. are awash with used and pre reg'd MINIs..

Yes you can try and sell privately and I agree it's best to get top money but as the dealers have so many there prices hardly make it worth the effort and if yours is pretty well loaded your market is reduced due to people wanting finance or similar :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You buy a car with options for your enjoyment not for resale. Selling a car back to the dealership without a purchase is asking to be taken for a bumpy ride. Trading it in is just a quick smack in the head. Private sale is the only way to recoup a fair price.

With all that said, I usually trade in because dealing with used car buyers is worse than going to the dentist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sold most of my used cars thru private sources in the past what worked great if you have a cheaper car ( from 2k to 8k ) anything above is just a hassle to deal with a buyer cause they might not have the cash get the financing or or or any than there is also the safety issue you never know theses days who will show up on your door take the car for a test drive and pull one over on you to steal the car. All more reasons to trade the car in.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have always been under the impression that you end up paying for your extras upfront, either in a deposit or monthly payment... At the end of the day its all relative, however I have noticed using the online configurator that certain Options which I've listed below have a positive impact on the residual value... Making the monthly payment on PCP less with the same deposit.

- Panoramic Sunroof
- Sports Auto Transmission
- Media XL

The one that don't really make a difference due to the upfront cost is opting for leather seats.

Also the residual on a Basic JCW is far superior to that of a Cooper S, specified with the JCW Chilli Pack - even though they end up coming out at the same price, at £24k, and the Cooper S is better specified.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Most of the individual options have no financial benefit come trade in time however the packs, especially chilli and media/tech do recoup some of the outlay.

As Brandon has said, the online configurator will help you by seeing the varying final residual value against varying specs.

I never P/X and have benefitted from playing the 2nd hand market by selling privately. Yes it's not as convienient but there are private buyers who are genuine and petrol heads like most of us. Selling my Audi S3 privately got me an extra £2300 over p/x :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
My dealer here in the UK is part of one of the biggest groups and when it came to the impact of individual options, they used their own configurator rather than Minis I think (I can't be sure), but certain options that were a few hundred pounds made literally £10 difference to the entire three year PCP price. I think from the dealer's point of view they'd rather have a well-specced up car coming back to them to sell as a used one not necessarily because it has a higher value, just that they'll shift it quicker. But it's all smoke and mirrors anyway. When I said I wasn't paying what he wanted at one point, he put £600 of options on and the price came down by a grand, so pointless trying to second guess and apply logic to a load of BS!

Poverty spec Minis are a tough sell because - and let's face it - we're pretty stupid and go a bit mental on the options list relative to customers of other brands, so the cr4p ones really stand out when you see them. Part of BMW's success with the brand is making the options seem compulsory!

When I was buying my previous two used Cooper S examples, I opted for specced up examples saying to people "I let some other mug spec them up and then I pick them up for peanuts". This time round, I am that mug!

Minis do alright residual-wise, or at least they have done in the past, but this is the first time the market is littered with other compelling premium-feel small cars - certainly at the Cooper S level. However, even in the past the Mini that would be the best defender of your outlay percentage wise was a Mini One with no options (if I remember correctly). The more you spent, the more you were going to lose.

But as carcinogenic lumps of metal for commuting and shopping go, I think they scrub up alright... If you don't put something on it you really want, you'll only kick yourself for three years, so you might as well front-load the pain rather than be grinding your teeth down to a fine powder every time you look at your non-JCW steering wheel or stick your suction cupped GPS to the window, if you're the sort of idiot who bothers about rubbish like that.

I am that soldier.

Reactions: Evlkarl and uke

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you don't put something on it you really want, you'll only kick yourself for three years, so you might as well front-load the pain rather than be grinding your teeth down to a fine powder every time you look at your non-JCW steering wheel or stick your suction cupped GPS to the window, if you're the sort of idiot who bothers about rubbish like that.

I am that soldier.
I am that idiot. But this time I shall redeem myself by industriously checking options until my JCW hardtop weighs as much as a Clubman. That'll show 'em!

No longer do I have to pine, deprived, for the illuminated JCW door sills or the Chili Red Hub Caps. In mere months I will be satiated and my wallet lightened. Life Is Good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You buy a car with options for your enjoyment not for resale. Selling a car back to the dealership without a purchase is asking to be taken for a bumpy ride. Trading it in is just a quick smack in the head. Private sale is the only way to recoup a fair price.

With all that said, I usually trade in because dealing with used car buyers is worse than going to the dentist.

Hey man! I'm really interested in your car, but I don't have that much money. Would you be willing to take $6k cash and the rest in beef jerkey and 25 quarts of oil?

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
407 Posts
What kind of oil?

Well I have 5 quarts lightly used Mobil Delvac, some two stroke oil, and about 18 quarts of this here olive oil

We got a deal? If so, can you wait till the end of the month? Gotta make sure my check clears the bank.

but I'm definitely interested in buying this here car.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i would agree with whats been said before.

the trade in value doesnt take into account options so the best bang for your buck is to see out the end of your agreement if using PCP for example and give the car back and start again. At least that way you know how much you are going to lose and when :p
all my previous cars were 2nd hand minis and i only ever bought ones that were as highly specced as i could afford. Its true that you will only want for it, over the months and years that you use the car.
fortunately a change of jobs means i could spec my own new car, so i made sure it had everything i have ever wanted.
yes i am paying a premium, but when i drive the 3 hour commute to and from work everyday i have everything at my fingertips, and it makes the drive so pleasurable.
2000 miles in 1 month shows how good these are to drive

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I buy my cars "to keep", so I prefer to get what I want whether buying new or used. No doubt buying new is the best decision for getting exactly what you want, but not so good a decision for holding value...depreciation is a fact of life...unless your particular car ends up being a "classic" someday!

I don't lease, but if I did I'd likely fill the build order with bells and whistles because I'd know in 3 years I'd be moving on and couldn't care less about depreciation. But, even leasing can be fool hearty pocket-book wise....after three years, you've spent a lot of money with NOTHING to show for it, not even a little or a lot depreciation on that MINI parked in your driveway or garage...maybe you'd just be left with a big smile!...and that may be enough!

In the end, to each their own. Leasing might be best for those who don't become attached to their cars, so they don't worry about dings and such...but, those of us who become attached and prefer to do our own maintenance, buying new is the preferred method, as long as the pocket has enough change in there! Why buy someone else's troubles buying used?

That being said, I review AutoTrader all the time, and there are tons of really sweet looking slightly used JCW hatches on their that are barely into the $30k's with very low miles!!!...so, if I was in the market I'd probably jump on a deal if it was the car that had what I wanted in a build!

For you Karl, I see a slightly used MCS or JCW in your future, since you can't seem to help yourself always being on the lookout for a replacement!:D

Happy hunting & quit worrying about depreciation...it's all about what makes you smile!

John

Reactions: Evlkarl
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.