Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, thanks ahead of time for any help. I bought my F56 2015 Cooper S with 3,000 miles on it and almost from day 1, when I would shift into reverse, when the clutch very first let the first bit of torque onto the gear I would hear 1 click as it engaged. This only happened cold and would only be every so often. Todsy with 20,000 miles on it the noise started when engaging first gear and now it does it in 2nd as well if there is enough torque. It is still loudest when shifting into reverse and the noise seems to be happening more and more. It is sort of between a click and a clunk and it seems to be coming from the area of the transmission but it could possibly be at the wheels. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
MM my r series made a clunk when first and reverse were engaged-was fine at 40k miles when i sold it for the f series, but the f doesnt do this; i would get it checked by the dealer-could be a clutch /transmission issue developing .

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've noticed this with aftermarket brake pads moving slightly when the wheels reverse rotation. Your noticing it in 2nd too kinda rules this out unless the OEM pads didn't unstick in 1st when the direction changed. A front drive axle nut not torqued to spec will cause something similar too. The pads sound more like a "click" while the axle nut is more a "clunk" and often heard while turning from a stop in 1st.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Yeah it's more like a click but it does happen once in a while even in 2nd. I don't have a dealership anywhere near me, it's like 200 miles away. The car is also a salvage title so I don't know if they would even touch it. It keeps getting slowly worse so I'm really worried it could be a transmission problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.