Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
My wife's 3 cylinder 1.5 is running over 210bhp. And it's a fantastic ride :)

2017 Mini Cooper Clubman - out of warranty due to some minor mods we carried out. The engine went boom due to an OEM spark plug which failed and melted the piston which in turn damaged the cylinder and melted the cat. Once we had ascertained that BMW would not help out we took the (big) decision to rebuild, strengthen and tune.

So..... in no particular order: BMW i8 pistons and rods; stage 2 Superchips remap; Forge intercooler; Eventuri induction kit (with new Cooper S bonnet to enable scoop RAM air); Miltek decat pipe; Remus cat back exhaust (Cooper S twin exit.... so now running Cooper S rear bumper); JCW big brake kit (with grooved and drilled discs); Forge brace kit; KW coil over kit (70mm drop); 20mm wheel spacers all round; JCW gearbox (2ltr spec); strengthened clutch; lightened flywheel; Quaife LSD; Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres.

I think there is maybe more.... but it's been a quick journey and I tend to forget some of the things we have done... sometimes things worked and sometimes things didn't and we had to try again. Biggest headache was the LSD.... which didn't fit the original gearbox and led to head scratching with everybody at Quaife and the tuner until we realised small differences in the fitting kit tolerances meant it would never fit (I was quoted for Quaife to build me a bespoke LSD but it was going to cost over £5K and they needed the gearbox for a few months ? )

We believe that we have trail-blazed with this car - doing things which haven't really been done elasewhere. Possibly more power to come from a different turbo....but for now it's just a really fun chuckable car to drive.

Ask away - chances are we have tried and failed or are enjoying the fruits of our labour ?
Did the JCW transmission bolt right up? One of the few things I don’t like about the 3-cylinder manual transmission is the really tall gearing. It’s weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a catback Remus exhaust, Bluespark tuning box and a BMS intake ( Just for the turbo sound). Bluespark claim the box takes it up to 170HP. Have not been on the dyno but the butt dyno says its a tad faster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got back from the tuner. They offer a service with a standard tune and one where they put it on the dyno and do a custom setting for your car. Luckily for me, they hadn’t done this car before, so I got a free upgrade and they put it on the dyno! View attachment 68446
Hi
What Tuner did you use ??

I’m in the market for a remap also been researching for quite a while now...
I have the B38 1.5 3cl engine
2019 cooper.

Iv spoken to many of the tuners out there

Lohan have quoted me £340 that claims 136BHP to 165BHP

Evolve £499 similar gains..

Perfomance Torque
Stage 1165BHP £350
Decat downpipe + 15BHP

Still waiting for response from these below

Mulgari - +44 01189321670
DervTech- 0161 706 0586
JB4

Iv read about massive gains to be had with reference to the i8 hitting around 220BHP but not sure how this is obtainable..

All the above tuners remap using generic developed file for that vehicle rather than a live custom Dyno remap which I’d rather.

Does anyone have any recommendations or further advice on this ??

much appreciated
Sam

·
Registered
Mini Cooper (non-S) F56 - 2019
42 Posts
I started looking into remap options for the Mini 1.5 Turbo B38 engine (LCI 2019) here at Brazil. Not many options.
one that I have spotted presented this gains:
Torque: 255Nm vs original 220Nm (35Nm gain)
Power (engine): 182.5bhp vs original 134bhp (51.5bhp gain)

You can see this Mini on the Dyno

I am not so sure if the automatic gearbox on Cooper LCI (2019), that is a 7-speed) can handle it long term.

How reliable this stage 1 (ECU remap + K&N inbox air filter) be on stock engine????

·
Registered
2017 Mini Cooper base
8 Posts
My wife's 3 cylinder 1.5 is running over 210bhp. And it's a fantastic ride :)

2017 Mini Cooper Clubman - out of warranty due to some minor mods we carried out. The engine went boom due to an OEM spark plug which failed and melted the piston which in turn damaged the cylinder and melted the cat. Once we had ascertained that BMW would not help out we took the (big) decision to rebuild, strengthen and tune.

So..... in no particular order: BMW i8 pistons and rods; stage 2 Superchips remap; Forge intercooler; Eventuri induction kit (with new Cooper S bonnet to enable scoop RAM air); Miltek decat pipe; Remus cat back exhaust (Cooper S twin exit.... so now running Cooper S rear bumper); JCW big brake kit (with grooved and drilled discs); Forge brace kit; KW coil over kit (70mm drop); 20mm wheel spacers all round; JCW gearbox (2ltr spec); strengthened clutch; lightened flywheel; Quaife LSD; Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres.

I think there is maybe more.... but it's been a quick journey and I tend to forget some of the things we have done... sometimes things worked and sometimes things didn't and we had to try again. Biggest headache was the LSD.... which didn't fit the original gearbox and led to head scratching with everybody at Quaife and the tuner until we realised small differences in the fitting kit tolerances meant it would never fit (I was quoted for Quaife to build me a bespoke LSD but it was going to cost over £5K and they needed the gearbox for a few months ? )

We believe that we have trail-blazed with this car - doing things which haven't really been done elasewhere. Possibly more power to come from a different turbo....but for now it's just a really fun chuckable car to drive.

Ask away - chances are we have tried and failed or are enjoying the fruits of our labour ?
This is awesome and very inspiring! Just had my DinanTronics Elite software installed and it’s been great, next on my list is forged Intercooler.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is awesome and very inspiring! Just had my DinanTronics Elite software installed and it’s been great, next on my list is forged Intercooler.
Elite or Sport? I ask because Dinan says the Elite is only compatible with the B38 3-cylinder and not the B36, which I believe all U.S. 3-cylinders are the latter. They wouldn’t even sell me the Elite, stating it would only be compatible with the B38 which wasn’t even offered in the U.S. (the B36 is the SULEV version of the B38).

·
Registered
2017 Mini Cooper base
8 Posts
Elite or Sport? I ask because Dinan says the Elite is only compatible with the B38 3-cylinder and not the B36, which I believe all U.S. 3-cylinders are the latter. They wouldn’t even sell me the Elite, stating it would only be compatible with the B38 which wasn’t even offered in the U.S. (the B36 is the SULEV version of the B38).
I have the Elite! I think the B38 is in the newer 2016+ Coopers, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the Elite! I think the B38 is in the newer 2016+ Coopers, I could be wrong.
I’m 99.9% certain that the B38 was only offered in the U.S. for the 2014 model year, and all subsequent 3-cylinders here are the B36. You can check your engine code by running your VIN through www.mdecoder.com Did you buy the Elite from Dinan or from a re-seller? Like I mentioned, Dinan refused to sell me the Elite, stating that it was incompatible with the B36 and would cause error messages (I think they were dumbing down a CEL to me). They went so far as to say that the B36 is crazy sensitive (emissions sensor wise) that they decided it wasn’t worth tuning it.

·
Registered
2017 Mini Cooper base
8 Posts
I’m 99.9% certain that the B38 was only offered in the U.S. for the 2014 model year, and all subsequent 3-cylinders here are the B36. You can check your engine code by running your VIN through www.mdecoder.com Did you buy the Elite from Dinan or from a re-seller? Like I mentioned, Dinan refused to sell me the Elite, stating that it was incompatible with the B36 and would cause error messages (I think they were dumbing down a CEL to me). They went so far as to say that the B36 is crazy sensitive (emissions sensor wise) that they decided it wasn’t worth tuning it.
Hmm that’s strange! I purchased mine directly from the Dinan website and had it installed on my 2017 Cooper. Had 0 problems so far

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone know if the driving modes for the F56 non S are an option? If I'm going to buy a non S to mod I'd like to at least have the driving modes, but I don't see this option here in Canada on the non S...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Anyone know if the driving modes for the F56 non S are an option? If I'm going to buy a non S to mod I'd like to at least have the driving modes, but I don't see this option here in Canada on the non S...
You can retrofit the driving mode selector. There are threads about it here somewhere. If you search “retrofit sport mode” or something similar you’ll probably find it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can retrofit the driving mode selector. There are threads about it here somewhere. If you search “retrofit sport mode” or something similar you’ll probably find it.

Yes I could do that I guess, would rather just buy one that already has it since I haven't purchased yet. Do you know if this driving mode option is available at all on the F56 non S in America? It's not part of the essentials package is it?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hmm that’s strange! I purchased mine directly from the Dinan website and had it installed on my 2017 Cooper. Had 0 problems so far
I’m happy for you, but I’m pissed for me haha. I wanted the Elite because of the matching powertrain warranty. The website still says it’s not compatible with the B36. So weird.

Oh well, I’m quite happy with my RPM tune

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes I could do that I guess, would rather just buy one that already has it since I haven't purchased yet. Do you know if this driving mode option is available at all on the F56 non S in America? It's not part of the essentials package is it?
It was available in the Cooper prior to the 2019 LCI (March 2018-on production). Not since, however.

·
Registered
2019 Cooper Sport
118 Posts
I recently purchased a non s Cooper Sport. Driving modes (performance controls) was an added extra but was definitely worth it, from what I have read to retro fit it, it is quite a hassle so if you can find one with it included would be best. With the sport mode engaged you can feel the difference as it auto rev matches downshifts and feels far more responsive.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
196 Posts
It was called ‘Mini Driving Modes’ and I believe was an option to select, however may have been included within the Chili packs (I had a UK Mini Cooper 2017).

·
Registered
2019 Cooper Sport
118 Posts
Standard or as an extra option? Do you know what the option was called? I'm looking pre-owned anyways. Cheers
Yes, it was an option for my facelift version. I believe it was called Mini Driving Modes or Performance Controls

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here’s an entire thread about retrofitting the driving mode selector if your car didn’t come equipped from the factory. To be honest, the button doesn’t really do anything (unless your car also has the dynamic dampers). Otherwise, it just provides (in Sport mode) less assistance to the steering and increases the sensitivity of the throttle pedals, might also hasten the shifts if you’ve an automatic. It’s literally just artificially making the car feel faster, even though it’s not actually any faster at all.

Add/retrofit sport button...

www.minif56.com/index.php?threads/Add-retrofit-sport-button%2E%2E%2E.80201

21 - 40 of 73 Posts