Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Manual gearbox is more strong then automatic. In my town there is one jcw Manual with ecu remap: step 1 275hp 420NM . Step2 is work in progress , complete exhaust, air intake , near 300hp and 450nm . ??

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Manual gearbox is more strong then automatic. In my town there is one jcw Manual with ecu remap: step 1 275hp 420NM . Step2 is work in progress , complete exhaust, air intake , near 300hp and 450nm . ??

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
If that were true the 335/535d would be available in manual not auto only :)
Its torque that kills things not power.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The only problem I see with the autos is when you try and grab too much power, depending on who is mapping the car and if they have full access to the ECU or just a piggy back, they might not be able to make "max" power due to the gearbox not being happy with the values, whereas a manual you dont have this problem.

My auto SD has a tuning box on it and the torque difference is noticable, but if I push the settings to far the gearbox is the first to complain, but its simply because its receiving values outside its allowed boundrys, if you can tune these boundrys then your all good (obviously a tuning box cant do that) :)

Manuals also have more aftermarket parts (clutches etc) available where as its always a limitation for autos (well BMW anyway) once you find the limit, so id expect to see higher BPH manual cars than autos when at the limits.

·
Registered
375 Posts
So the question remains: how much HP and torque can the manual gearbox handle without risk of it being damaged? I tried to get this info directly from BMW Belgium but they can't or won't tell. Probably because this question is only asked by people that have plans to fiddle with the car and gain more power. As a constructor they're not a huge fan because it will lead to heavy discussions or warranty risk for the manufacturor if things go bad I guess?

·
Registered
213 Posts
So the question remains: how much HP and torque can the manual gearbox handle without risk of it being damaged? I tried to get this info directly from BMW Belgium but they can't or won't tell. Probably because this question is only asked by people that have plans to fiddle with the car and gain more power. As a constructor they're not a huge fan because it will lead to heavy discussions or warranty risk for the manufacturor if things go bad I guess?
No one is going to have that answer mate because no one has pushed this engine yet to find out, I suspect it will be well more than the standard turbo can put out thats for sure.

·
Registered
375 Posts
No one is going to have that answer mate because no one has pushed this engine yet to find out, I suspect it will be well more than the standard turbo can put out thats for sure.
True but the third party that manufactures this gearbox should have a technical datasheet available for safety regulations. This datasheet should specify the max amount of torque that the manufaturer guarantees without damage. How far you can push it is another question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.