Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have info on whether or not the 3cyl engine requires a cool down period after being driven hard (ie: goin for a rip).

My MINI/BMW tech tells me a 2 to 3 minute idle is recommended; however also states that the engineers know that most people will not do this so it is designed with this in mind!

definitely contradicting info

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Personally I think it best if you do. However on the r56 turbo ie the cooper s there was a temp controlled pump that circulated (oil I think) continuously till the temp had cooled-I now have an f56 and haven't heard it on this model as yet but havnt had it long and keep forgetting to make a point of getting out to listen but , I would imagine this will be on the turbos ie therefore all f56 variants to protect the turbo charger bearings. I will also change the oil much more often than mini say for this reason too! Stands to reason it would be there due to the autostop start function too!

·
Registered
844 Posts
The turbo has a fan to cool it. I also thought that burning fuel when stationary is not good for the catalytic converter, or is that just the case when it is cold?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts