Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drivetrain warning light sometimes comes on, mostly after driving the car and restarting soon after.

The fault is diagnosed with the wastegate actuator, but it doesn't seem like it's possible to buy the actuator on its own. Therefore have to buy a new turbo?

Also, diagnosis recommends replacing the whole turbo - there is a repair kit but says this will not solve the problem long term and continue excessive wear in the wastegate.

Getting hold of a new turbo is impossible as they are taken off the shelf in Germany as soon as they come in.

Has anyone had this same fault? Is this a common issue with the 2L turbo engines from 2014?

Has anyone used the repair kit? Has anyone got a different solution?

Cheers

· Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2015 Cooper S (F-56 with the 2.0 Eng) and @ 124K mileage; I had my check engine light come on as well the drivetrain light as described above. I pulled the codes and they pointed to the Turbo wastgate and actuator being bad. I first took the car to my dealer, and they advised the Turbo needed to be replaced to the tune of about $6K. I then took the car to a reputable independent repair shop, and they also did a through diagnostic arriving at the same conclusion as the dealer, only they were about $2K less on the repair estimate. After doing some research, I found Mitsubishi is the actual manufacturer of the turbo for BMW/Mini. I was able to source the OEM replacement turbo (including a new exhaust manifold) for $1199.00 through ECS Tuning. With install kit, replacement oil supply line and a few other misc. items needed all the parts were under $1400.00 total. It took me about 6 hours to get the old turbo out. Not overly complicated, just lots of tight spaces and individual steps to tackle. The installation should be slightly faster as I am replacing the hardware, so I don't have any rusty bolts to break.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2015 Cooper S (F-56 with the 2.0 Eng) and @ 124K mileage; I had my check engine light come on as well the drivetrain light as described above. I pulled the codes and they pointed to the Turbo wastgate and actuator being bad. I first took the car to my dealer, and they advised the Turbo needed to be replaced to the tune of about $6K. I then took the car to a reputable independent repair shop, and they also did a through diagnostic arriving at the same conclusion as the dealer, only they were about $2K less on the repair estimate. After doing some research, I found Mitsubishi is the actual manufacturer of the turbo for BMW/Mini. I was able to source the OEM replacement turbo (including a new exhaust manifold) for $1199.00 through ECS Tuning. With install kit, replacement oil supply line and a few other misc. items needed all the parts were under $1400.00 total. It took me about 6 hours to get the old turbo out. Not overly complicated, just lots of tight spaces and individual steps to tackle. The installation should be slightly faster as I am replacing the hardware, so I don't have any rusty bolts to break.
Have you installed the new turbo and all the other misc. items.......and did it fix the problem? I hope it was successful. 😊(y)

· Registered
10 Posts
Could you share the error codes that you saw on the analyzer? Thanks.

· Registered
10 Posts
UOTE="Percy Veer, post: 885208, member: 81864"]
Could you share the error codes that you saw on the analyzer? Thanks.
[/QUOTE]
Hoping that we don't have to replace the turbo. However, I don't think the wastegate can be replaced as a separate item.
Thanks for sharing the codes. We saw different codes for our issue, as shown below.
Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Technology

We also saw the following after doing a bit investigation and cleaning/lubricating.
Personal computer Font Electronic device Technology Parallel

· Registered
5 Posts
Have you installed the new turbo and all the other misc. items.......and did it fix the problem? I hope it was successful. 😊(y)
Old Turbo is out, the Wastegate is indeed bad. The waste-gate shaft that comes through the housing has worn and it has a significant amount of side to side play. I’ve got the new turbo installed, but I still have some assembly left to finish the job. I should have the job finished up next weekend and I’ll report the final results. But at this point I’m confident the turbo was indeed bad.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle brake

· Registered
5 Posts
Well, the car is finally finished. In the end, it took about 15 hours to complete the swap. Biggest snag we hit was one of the exhaust manifold studs stripped out. Definitely needed to replace the Oil supply line (a must for sure). All in all, it was tedious, but not overly complicated job. The car goes great! The engine codes have cleared. We've put about 100 miles on it with no leaks or issues, looks like it's fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts