Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Running a 2015 JCW for the last 2 weeks and have noticed a distinct rattle from the back of the engine when light throttle.

You can see/hear what I mean if you search 'AX65KXE rattle 2' on YouTube (can't post links yet but when I can will update with direct link.

Wondering if anyone has had this issue and know of the solution? I sent the above clip to my Mini dealer and they advised to get it in for a check under warranty. Having had the car in, and tested against another customer car, apparently they've said this as normal.

My own research has lead me down the classic BMW N54 335i turbo rattle, where the actuator arm is loose and is rattling (especially when on low boost option like Green mode). Often, these turbos were replaced under warranty. I can't find much else on this online and the lead tech at the Mini garage wasn't aware of this noise and is actively enquiring internally.

I've written back to the dealer following the N54 comparison and waiting to hear back.

Anyone on here have the issue? Keen to hear thoughts on any research or tech views.

Thanks!

FZB

·
Registered
Clubman F54 JCW LCI 306HP & Clubman F54 SD 190HP
520 Posts
I am just wondering. Is it really the turbo? It could also be something in the exhaust manifold / wastegate rattle. I don't have this sound on my Mini Cooper S F55 2015 by the way. Mine is even remapped to 270HP. You should rev the car in the garage and someone else should listen to where it comes from.

Do you also have it in cold engine or warm engine?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have this noise if I rev the car a little within the first minute or so of starting the engine. After that, it's replaced with the turbo wastegate whoosh sound.

I guessed it was just normal, and something to do with the car going through its initial startup routine......like maybe the car keeps the wastegate open for a minute or so at first startup.*

If the noise was their all the time, then I'd be inclined to get it checked.

*I can drive a car, but know very little about the mechanical workings, so I may just be talking a load of rubbish. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for notes back on this topic! A quick update - I've been in touch with my local dealers senior technician and they have the car for the weekend to further diagnose the issue.

It is very likely the wastegate / wastegate actuator that's causing the issue, although this is in the turbo housing so the approach may be just to replace the whole turbo unit. It's a similar issue to the BMW N54 and so the dealer is in direct discussion with central BMW/Mini tech who advised to get the car in for further diagnosis, so it does seem like they're picking up on the issue.

For now, I have a 2018 Clubman Cooper S and it truly makes me yearn for my JCW being back, rattle or no rattle..

Will post again soon when I have an update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update as promised. I've picked up my car after having a brand new turbo fitted under warranty due to excessive wear on the wastegate 'flap'. So glad to be back in my pocket rocket..!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Interesting to see this post! My JCW does this and is even worse in Green mode..

I was also thinking that this was a characteristic of the engines/turbos Mini are using because I once was given a Cooper as a courtesy car and that also did the same!

I have had mine remapped so am a little cautious about taking it in to Mini to have it looked at..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting to see this post! My JCW does this and is even worse in Green mode..

I was also thinking that this was a characteristic of the engines/turbos Mini are using because I once was given a Cooper as a courtesy car and that also did the same!

I have had mine remapped so am a little cautious about taking it in to Mini to have it looked at..

The warranty fine print has stuff about this - pretty sure they'll see the remap and just say it's excessive wear due to this remap (which of course is rubbish, but will get out of expensive work for them) and not provide a solution.

The tech did say that it's unlikely to affect the overall performance as a whole, and I imagine if you've remapped it then the firm doing the work would've noticed any issues ahead of applying the remap.

Green mode is the worst, as there's definitely an issue with the actuator causing slack in the wastegate flap for lower boost pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you got an extended warranty or did BMW replace it as goodwill?
Standard Approved Used 12 month Mini/BMW warranty that came with the car. Initially they weren't looking to replace the part (as also tested against other used cars in stock and it made the noise) but on research from myself and the tech Mini agreed to replace.

From looking into it, the engine shouldn't blow, which is good. Seems to be subjective as to whether the dealer will replace or not. Go in with a friendly approach and demonstrate issues around the N54 335i turbo issue and all they ask is for a warranty work signature. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for reviving this thread but I have the same problem.

My car is a 2019 Cooper S, my previous 2016 JCW and my friends 2017 Cooper S didn't/don't do this.

Would there be a way for you to share the invoice for the repair?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New turbo is on it's way, it turns out that the wastegate flap had indeed excessive wear and they will replace the turbo under warranty.

It took 4 visits (3 hours round trip each time) in the last 3 months for them to tell me I was right. It feels good and bad at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.